Sbbruin

The Far Side

I've been searching but can't find a favorite of mine. Longboat full of Vikings heading off to rape & pillage somewhere. One lone viking sits on the stern, dangling his feet in the water &watching the ripples. Kills me.

That & the one of Clark Kent changing into his Superman outfit in the phone booth but stopping to check the coin slot for change .

18 hours ago, miguelito said:

ecc1b33c09f27eca707cf772666f04fd.jpg

I actually still bring this one up in safety meetings.

Edited by G650

It's as follows in terms of greatness for me:

1. Far Side

2. Bloome County

3. Calvin and Hobbes

4.  Doonesbury

2and 3 are neck and neck. I think I have multiple books form each of these series.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's as follows in terms of greatness for me:

1. Far Side

2. Bloome County

3. Calvin and Hobbes

4.  Doonesbury

2and 3 are neck and neck. I think I have multiple books form each of these series.

Pretty much it. Non Sequitur is probably the best of the newer comics.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Pretty much it. Non Sequitur is probably the best of the newer comics.

Yep, but we stopped getting the newspaper because it went from being a pretty good product that I read cover to cover every day, to sucking balls.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, but we stopped getting the newspaper because it went from being a pretty good product that I read cover to cover every day, to sucking balls.

Bummer. I still get the local paper daily, the Post during the week, and the Sunday NYT delivered. Also have subscription to The Times (London) on digital.

I did cancel my WSJ sub though, it's gotten somewhat stale. I didn't give me anything of substance I don't get from the Economist or my investment guy already.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Bummer. I still get the local paper daily, the Post during the week, and the Sunday NYT delivered. Also have subscription to The Times (London) on digital.

I did cancel my WSJ sub though, it's gotten somewhat stale. I didn't give me anything of substance I don't get from the Economist or my investment guy already.

Yeah we need to pick up a subscription to something, even it's just the Sunday paper (NY Times was always really good) . I miss reading the paper, and really being up to date on current events, better than I am now, even with internet access.

Maybe it’s just me, but my peak Far Side appreciation was 13-17 years old. Reading it now and it’s “meh”, but as a coming of age man, it was brilliant!

I love the Far Side, but Bloom County will always be my favorite because Breathed's strip was the best part of The Daily Texan while I was on campus.  Also a good friend of mine won the Steve Dallas look alike contest.

18 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Maybe it’s just me, but my peak Far Side appreciation was 13-17 years old. Reading it now and it’s “meh”, but as a coming of age man, it was brilliant!

Far side is like a good pun. It's almost always worth a good chuckle. Calvin and Hobbes is sometimes juvenile, but sometimes deep, and almost always funny. So the edge goes to Calvin and Hobbes.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:29 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I love the Far Side, but Bloom County will always be my favorite because Breathed's strip was the best part of The Daily Texan while I was on campus.  Also a good friend of mine won the Steve Dallas look alike contest.

I voted for Hank.

If I were stranded and could only have one book of any kind to read, it would be any Far Side anthology. "Cat Fud" is in our family lexicon.  What separated Larson from all others was his uncanny ability to draw you in and make you look beyond what the panel appears to be, to illustrate an "Oh, shit" moment in the life of someone who would normally be in control, just after he realizes everything's going to hell in one second, e.g., as the pompous orchestra conductor raises his baton, his eyes cut sideways to a dufus on the first row gazing at his sheet music and holding a viola, turning to the guy on his left and saying, "Gee . . . look at all the little black dots."  

Sorry, couldn't find uploadable version.  Love the Far Side.  Thanks for making me laugh out loud tonight, Surly and Gary.

1. I loved his economy of illustration.  The situation and the caption of course made us laugh.  But he only drew like 19 characters using one of 4 facial expressions.  That was the charm to me, you were in on the joke with him.  

My favorite Bloom County strip was the one where Steve Dallas plays Spock. He asks one of the animals to fetch a martini and they say Vulcans don't drink martinis or say say fetch. He says he's a nouveau Vulcan and he's taking over the ship. The animals ask to send out a distress code. Dallas responds by ordering Scottie to beam up several sorority girls with small noses.

42 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

If I were stranded and could only have one book of any kind to read, it would be any Far Side anthology. "Cat Fud" is in our family lexicon.  What separated Larson from all others was his uncanny ability to draw you in and make you look beyond what the panel appears to be, to illustrate an "Oh, shit" moment in the life of someone who would normally be in control, just after he realizes everything's going to hell in one second, e.g., as the pompous orchestra conductor raises his baton, his eyes cut sideways to a dufus on the first row gazing at his sheet music and holding a viola, turning to the guy on his left and saying, "Gee . . . look at all the little black dots."  

Sorry, couldn't find uploadable version.  Love the Far Side.  Thanks for making me laugh out loud tonight, Surly and Gary.

larson_black_dots.jpg

1 hour ago, Catpfish said:

I'm sure one of you will find it, but I searched in vain.  My favorite was the Air Spear! Air Spear! caveman

dab0ba7ab8fbc51261a446bdaf3095e9.jpg