Sbbruin

The Far Side

Far Side, C&H, Doonesberry, Dilbert, etc., are all classic and iconic.  They resonate with the boomers and Xers in a way nothing else will.  To us, they're timeless.

But to the millenials and post-millenials, they're ancient history.  As iconic, relevant, and classic as Pogo and Lil' Abner were to our parents (and I LOVED looking through my dad's compiled Pogo books), they were ancient history to us boomers and Xers.  They were old, outdated, black and white.  Most boomers and Xers didn't even bother with them, the same way that most millenials and post-millenials won't bother with Far Side, C&G, etc.  

2 minutes ago, nnm said:

Far Side, C&H, Doonesberry, Dilbert, etc., are all classic and iconic.  They resonate with the boomers and Xers in a way nothing else will.  To us, they're timeless.

But to the millenials and post-millenials, they're ancient history.  As iconic, relevant, and classic as Pogo and Lil' Abner were to our parents (and I LOVED looking through my dad's compiled Pogo books), they were ancient history to us boomers and Xers.  They were old, outdated, black and white.  Most boomers and Xers didn't even bother with them, the same way that most millenials and post-millenials won't bother with Far Side, C&G, etc.  

Yeah, that new millennial meme trend is sooo much funnier.

23 minutes ago, nnm said:

I'm a boomer. Pogo and Lil Abner were current and relevant to me, man.  I'll buy that Xers didn't care. I loved that those strips poked fun at governmental shenanigans in a time when blind allegiance and conformity was taught in our schools. Most of my friends parents were not fans of Pogo especially. Questioning authority and whatnot.

But to the millenials and post-millenials, they're ancient history. 

But with Far Side, I believe it's more of a function of not being printed/regularly available (unless you own the books) during the majority of their lifetime. I thought Far Side was pretty stupid the first time I saw it (grandmother bought me a t-shirt with the "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" comic on it), but the more I was exposed to it, the more it grew on me.

For me, Far Side, C&H, and Dilbert are my favorites. C&H for sentimental reasons; Far Side because there's no central theme and funny as hell; Dilbert because it's topical/relevant to my work environment and people l interact with.

Cyanide and Hapiness is a pretty popular millenial multi panel comic which I enjoy.

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Gil Thorpe, Lockhorns, and Cathy FTMFW.

Mark Trail, Prince Valiant (mostly because it was such a well done cartoon illustration style).  Gil was gay right ?

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

CSB- My kids and their friends dismiss all comic strips as “Boomer cartoons.”  They won’t read them out of principle.  Weird thing to be all strident about. 

spacer.png

23 hours ago, nnm said:

We have some tweens in our family that absolutely love C&H and Far Side, so I have some hope for the younger generation.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

I think Dilbert is funny to those of us who work in a Corporate office setting.

Exactly.

My kids were raised on C&H and Far Side.  C&H is my favorite, with Far Side second.  Kids get inquisitive when dad can't stop laughing at something he has read a hundred times already.  I think they hold up like Pixar movies because there is some obvious humor for when you're younger but also stuff that flies over your head and gets funnier as you age.

18 minutes ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, G650 said:
Exactly.

Ahh, that's right....nobody on Surly works for the man. I need to make a list so I can keep up.

3k32zz.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, nnm said:

no Bloom County??

Pearls Before Swine generally fills the light niche for me.

Non Sequitur is another fantastic comic that helped fill the Far Side void.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, nnm said:

I'm technically a millennial and I grew up on C&H and The Far Side.  The last C&H cartoon was in 1995, so there are plenty of 80s kids that read it religiously.

I'm technically a millennial and I grew up on C&H and The Far Side.  The last C&H cartoon was in 1995, so there are plenty of 80s kids that read it religiously.
I love Calvin and Hobbes. I can remember reading it every chance I got. I used to have a current events class in high school. Spent every class going over news papers, starting with the comics. I kept the last Calvin and Hobbes for the longest time, but I can’t find it anymore. I need to just buy a book with them in it. Someone made a strip where Calvin gave Hobbes to his grandson or something that was pretty good.
I second Pearls before swine.

I used to read that every chance I got.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:24 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Santa gave me a little something a bit too heavy for my stocking:

9-BC39-B79-FA71-4-AF7-896-E-4-F9-B096-BD

I received the Calvin & Hobbes version of that a few years ago.  One of my prized possessions.