Electric scooters to buy

Baboontyme

Yeah I know there's a thread somewhere about the rentals. 

I kind of want to buy one. I have no real use for it, but rented one this past weekend and it was super fun. I think I could use it and let my kids use it in and around the hood to get up to the school and stuff. Maybe head halfway across town to the bar or a buddy's house and back. 

Anyone in the market? Bought one? I don't really want to break the bank. Budget $500 or less. Would like something with build quality that goes at least 15 mph, can carry 200+ lbs and go at least 15 miles. 

At the moment there are only 2 real options for practical transport.  The rest are a bunch of really cheap generic ones with minimal power and minimal range.  Not really useful for anyone except as kids as a toy.

The 2 are Xiaomi M365 aka "Mijia" and Segway Ninebot which offers ES1 and ES2. 

All range are approx 25-30km and speed 25-30km.  ES1 is capped at 20kph.  That little bit of difference does make a difference. 

Pricing is ES1 = M365 < ES2.

M365 is the model used by Birds and those other sharing companies.  Happy with mine, but its definitely not the greatest in apparent build quality.  The steering column is loose and rattly (even after some tweaking).  Brakes are bottom-barrel equipment.  etc.  For me it's a disposable product and I expect it to last 2 seasons / 3000km or so. 

Considerations:  None have chassis locking implements.  You can sorta put a U-Lock on it.  Or cable lock the rear wheel.  But it's more like a 30-minute security feature.  Wouldn't trust either to leave unattended for a day.  They're both foldable and meant to be taken with you everywhere.  At 12kg (>25 imperial pounders) its okay for an adult, but still an awkward pain in the ass if e.g. you want to carry it around a grocery store.  Both have approx 8" tires which is sort of the bare minimum for riding through ruts and cracks and minor curb lips.  Any smaller like on those toy-class scooters and you might as well walk it on real streets.

It’s gonna be hard to get 15mph with a 15 mile range in the <=$500. That being said, I bought this one a month ago and am pretty happy with it. I use it to go to the gym and local bars. 

GoTrax GXL

I wanted the M365 but it’s never in stock anywhere unless you want to pay a 200 premium.  

My my only recommendation not mentioned in post 2 is stay away from white. 

2 minutes ago, SDG said:

It’s gonna be hard to get 15mph with a 15 mile range in the <=$500. That being said, I bought this one a month ago and am pretty happy with it. I use it to go to the gym and local bars. 

GoTrax GXL

I wanted the M365 but it’s never in stock anywhere unless you want to pay a 200 premium.  

My my only recommendation not mentioned in post 2 is stay away from white. 

AlSharptonLeader.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the segway ninebot ES2. I got it yesterday. I've mostly used it to ride up and down the street and have my kids chase me and (son) try to shoot me with nerf guns. Raced my 5 yo on her bike and her manual scooter. I let her win. I love it. I was considering a 7-11 run tonight for a Monster to mix with my vodka as I'm getting sleepy but I'd like to sleep past 6 AM so I'm gonna chill on that. 

• 1 year later...

been a while since this thread has been visited.  anyone in the market or have advice?  I'm thinking about the Segway Ninebot MAX Original but curious if anyone has any they'd recommend?  40lbs seems a bit heavy to lug around once i reach my destination - but seems to be the highest quality with highest range - so the battery must take up most of that weight.

How many hills are you going to climb and how far are you going? I have the Xiaomi one mentioned above and it's been fine... Could use a little more power on steeper hills but it get's the job done for the most part and easier to carry. You can lock it from the app which does not keep someone from carrying it away but does keep someone from riding off on it. One thing you want to decide on is the tires... mine has air which means they can go flat but on the flip side it absorbs shock a bit better.

I have a friend with the Unagi and he really like that one despite it being quite a bit more expensive.

I still have mine and ride it to the gym several times per week.  It works great but with all cheaper scooters the range suffers.  The ninebot and M365 are still the gold standard for build quality & range.  

you might shave weight by skipping on the max version.   

i live in the midwest where it is relatively flat (except for speed bumps).  honestly this is mostly a "toy" to ride around with my daughters while they scoot around the neighborhood... but i can definitely get use of it to do quick trips to the corner store/liquor store.  I just don't know about the idea of lugging the thing around inside the store while I shop.  the Xioami is much cheaper, I believe, so i may look into that. 

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Scott Adams says that nobody rides a power assisted bicycle that doesn't buy it. The sales guy told him there's a smile all the customers get when they test ride it. Makes you feel like superman. Far cooler than you can imagine.

Decathlon doesnt sell this model yet in the US, but im sure its all chinese whitelabel goods so could be had from others.

basically same price as higher end scooter.  you could actually lock the motherfucker in front of a store, so much more manageable than having to carry it around.  can fold up and carry inside your office (40#). 

it is pretty fucking fun

B'Twin Tilt 500 Electric e-bike review: The best budget ...

slider-tjyudc_img_2350a.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Decathlon doesnt sell this model yet in the US, but im sure its all chinese whitelabel goods so could be had from others.

basically same price as higher end scooter.  you could actually lock the motherfucker in front of a store, so much more manageable than having to carry it around.  can fold up and carry inside your office (40#). 

it is pretty fucking fun

B'Twin Tilt 500 Electric e-bike review: The best budget ...

slider-tjyudc_img_2350a.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Just stick it in the large basket for an electric grocery cart & scoot around the store.  It's like you're still on the bike.

• 4 weeks later...