Dallas Fort Worth Concert Calendar

NOMAAA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So bizarre -- Phosphorescent is coming back to Dallas (well, Irving) next week?!?! Tickets are $5 at the Texas Lottery Plaza. Sarah Jaffe is either playing too -- or supporting Matthew. Flummoxed. Just bought two.

https://www.bandsintown.com/e/100856872?affil_code=js_www.phosphorescentmusic.com&app_id=js_www.phosphorescentmusic.com&came_from=242&utm_campaign=event&utm_medium=web&utm_source=widget

Edited by C-Man

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

So bizarre -- Phosphorescent is coming back to Dallas (well, Irving) next week?!?! Tickets are $5 at the Texas Lottery Plaza. Sarah Jaffe is either playing too -- or supporting Matthew. Flummoxed. Just bought two.

https://www.bandsintown.com/e/100856872?affil_code=js_www.phosphorescentmusic.com&app_id=js_www.phosphorescentmusic.com&came_from=242&utm_campaign=event&utm_medium=web&utm_source=widget

wow. all over that, even if it means an evening in irving.

41 minutes ago, bizzle said:

We saw him at Granada last fall and it was awesome. My wife and I also caught him at High Water Fest this past weekend in Charleston. He was great as always but we didn't get "Wolves" -- guessing we'll see it this week. I just happened to go to his website to see where we might be able to travel to see him this spring/summer and Irving jumped off the page. Still odd.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, bizzle said:

Do you know the setup out there? I think there are like 4-5 restaurants that all open up to an outdoor amphitheater type thing. Wondering if that's where this show is. Also don't know if Jaffe is performing with Phosphorescent or if she's opening. Oh, well, IDGAF. Phosphorescent in some fashion for $5 about 10 mins from my house is a win-win.

Man, that was a really enjoyable night. Did you go, bizzle? The weather was fantastic and the area works really well. We got there as Matthew's wife was doing a solo set with just her on stage, playing guitar. I didn't realize that's who it was until Phosphorescent came on and she was playing keyboard. Have only seen her side profile during shows and not ever hearing her voice. She's Aussie, which explains "Christmas Down Under" now. Their two kids were running around shirtless during her set and Sarah Jaffe's, which was pretty good too.

At any rate, $5 to see Phosphorescent and Sarah Jaffe not far from the house on a beautiful night was pretty, pretty good. I highly recommend the Thursday concert series out there if you like the artist. Trouble is it's a bunch of nobodies from here out other than Hard Day's Night and Shooter Jennings. At least they're free.

22 hours ago, wutang75 said:

Cherry Glazerr last night at Deep Ellum Art Co with my 20 year old brother (I’m in my 40s). I felt like a chaperone but wow that chick’s got something. Besides hairy pits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like her cover of LCD's "Time to Get Away"

On 4/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, C-Man said:

Man, that was a really enjoyable night. Did you go, bizzle? The weather was fantastic and the area works really well. We got there as Matthew's wife was doing a solo set with just her on stage, playing guitar. I didn't realize that's who it was until Phosphorescent came on and she was playing keyboard. Have only seen her side profile during shows and not ever hearing her voice. She's Aussie, which explains "Christmas Down Under" now. Their two kids were running around shirtless during her set and Sarah Jaffe's, which was pretty good too.

At any rate, $5 to see Phosphorescent and Sarah Jaffe not far from the house on a beautiful night was pretty, pretty good. I highly recommend the Thursday concert series out there if you like the artist. Trouble is it's a bunch of nobodies from here out other than Hard Day's Night and Shooter Jennings. At least they're free.

ended up showing up for the 2nd half - bizarre development, but great setup that night.

last night's 1975 gig was great as well, the toyota center thing sucks ass. 

Just now, tfoolry said:

Apparently they’re setting up an outdoor vip pool area as well.  The really odd thing is no one seems to know about this event so doubt there will be that many in attendance. 

I'll be there as I went to KAABOO Del Mar last year and was really impressed with how well the event was put on. The lineup is underwhelming but I'm a fan of different styles so I'll be entertained. I did the Bask (pool) last year and it was pretty nice to watch some of the shows from the pool area, but I'm skipping that this weekend as it doesn't look like pool weather.

I'm also pretty spent as I went to Welcome to Rockville in Jacksonville last weekend...

On 5/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

I'll be there as I went to KAABOO Del Mar last year and was really impressed with how well the event was put on. The lineup is underwhelming but I'm a fan of different styles so I'll be entertained. I did the Bask (pool) last year and it was pretty nice to watch some of the shows from the pool area, but I'm skipping that this weekend as it doesn't look like pool weather.

I'm also pretty spent as I went to Welcome to Rockville in Jacksonville last weekend...

How was it? Reviews I've read weren't particularly flattering. What a weird collection of acts too.

22 hours ago, C-Man said:

How was it? Reviews I've read weren't particularly flattering. What a weird collection of acts too.

Man, I had a blast but I also knew what to expect. If anyone went and couldn't find entertainment then I feel bad for them.

I'm not a fan of being in that stadium for football games, but it was a good thing the bigger acts were indoors on Friday because it was quite cold. 

I haven't read any reviews at all but if I just had to guess I'd say people complained about the prices of food and drinks. My answer to that is if you can't afford it you probably shouldn't be there anyway. The event is clean as fuck and every employee that worked there was nice as hell. If you're nice to people, you'll find they'll be nice back. I received a few $12 beers for free from bartenders. 

As far as the acts go, I was disappointed when the lineup was revealed but thought the ones I saw did a great job. Like I said before, I was at Welcome to Rockville two weekends ago and that music is more my speed but I guess I just enjoy all kinds of music so if the artists can perform then they can perform. 

I went to the pool on Sunday to chill and this pool was built much better than the one in San Diego but no matter what you do you can't beat the background of the Pacific Ocean with sand in your feet. 

I'll be in San Diego in September and will probably return next year.

Is this the coolest thing I've ever done? No way. But I promise you I had a better time last weekend than anyone I know.   

My expectations were low because of venue but enjoyed the acts I wouldn’t normally go see like Ludacris & Alamis.  Agree the people were cool & liked being able to walk right up front on 50 yard line of stadium to see Bush. Only complaint was a couple other acts I wanted to see overlapped. 

• 1 month later...
anybody going to Son Volt manana?  I'll be the short old mexican man trying to get near the front.

I went at the last minute. Buddy had extra reserved tickets upstairs. Enjoyable show but it was hot AF in there. Thought Jay’s vocals were extremely muffled and drowned out by the music on quite a few songs.

I’m continually amazed at the trajectories of Jay’s and Jeff’s careers since Uncle Tupelo broke up. I’m sure it will never happen but I’d travel a long way for a Tupelo reunion.

Interesting.  I was standing right in front of Jay, and don't kill me, but I decided to use ear plugs, so the vocals were muffled anyway.  I've never done that before, but based on the last show I saw, they aren't particularly nuanced in the live shows.

Not sure if you saw the opening act which was fun (Salt Lick Union).  Bluegrass is pretty much candy to me.

Jay's going for for a "perturbed Roy Orbison" vibe.  This is a talented group of pros, but damn they are serious, and they seem really wedded to a straightaheadlinear approach..

I think these guys would really benefit if they traded say, three of the rocking numbers for three pure acoustic/country versions of songs like Promise the World or Tear Stained Eye or one or two off this new album.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:32 AM, tantric superman said:

Not sure if you saw the opening act which was fun (Salt Lick Union).  Bluegrass is pretty much candy to me.

Caught the very last song. It's my understanding the band is fronted by a relative of Jay's, maybe his nephew?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like tomorrow's Spoon-Cage the Elephant-Beck show has a lot of tickets remaining. Have been considering, have a bunch of friends going but haven't pulled the trigger. Anybody know who closes the night out? Beck or Cage?

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like tomorrow's Spoon-Cage the Elephant-Beck show has a lot of tickets remaining. Have been considering, have a bunch of friends going but haven't pulled the trigger. Anybody know who closes the night out? Beck or Cage?

Beck is headlining. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm lazy. So, please tell me about the lawn seating at the Toyota Music Factory.

I want to see Tame Impala in October. Of course, Live Nation has scooped up all their own tickets as usual and are listing them as "resale" for $200. But there are still some $40 regular lawn seats available.

I should probably just buy them anyway. I fucking hate the lawn seating at Fair Park but if the show is good it really doesn't matter. Saw the Radiohead In Rainbows tour there from the very top of the lawn seating, and it was still amazing.

Edited by TornACL

55 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but I'm lazy. So, please tell me about the lawn seating at the Toyota Music Factory.

I want to see Tame Impala in October. Of course, Live Nation has scooped up all their own tickets as usual and are listing them as "resale" for $200. But there are still some $40 regular lawn seats available.

I should probably just buy them anyway. I fucking hate the lawn seating at Fair Park but if the show is good it really doesn't matter. Saw the Radiohead In Rainbows tour there from the very top of the lawn seating, and it was still amazing.

We went to Vampire Weekend this past Sun. We had Pit GA tickets but a group of buddies and their families had lawn tickets. They bought up Pit GA but got out there early enough to throw blankets down on the grass to far Stage Left and TBH, it was a great angle. I'm sure the sound was just fine. Toyota seems to have gotten their shit together -- other than when they put the removable seats in (there's no grade to the concrete so it can be hard to see from further back in that section). The sound was abysmal when it first opened but it's been on point of late. The Vampire Weekend show was the first one I'd been to where the lawn was open. It was hot-as-Hades back there but once we walked over the lower part of the lawn was in the shade. I've used a lot of words to say to not skip the show if you have to sit on the lawn. (You can even take low-profile seats if you want.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...