Talk TCU vs TEXAS

LTtxfan

22 hours ago, XYZ said:

Who actually thinks that Texas has even a small chance of establishing the run game against TCU?

TCU is giving up roughly 3.1 YPC. 107 YPG.

It's not inconceivable. Unless, of course, Beck is calling plays. But a decent game plan can take advantage of TCU's tendency to overshift. Whether Texas does this or not will determine whether it's a burnt orange upset, or a purple blowout. 

I don't bet, so I'm not putting money down. But even though the odds are against Texas, they are not overwhelmingly against Texas. It's possible.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

They have been getting worse as the competition has gotten better.

Southern averaged 2.5, 34-84

SMU averaged 4.0. 33-131

Ohio State averaged 4.3, 42-182

They key is the Ohio State defense allowed the offense to keep running the ball, because the score dictated they could.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It's not inconceivable. Unless, of course, Beck is calling plays. But a decent game plan can take advantage of TCU's tendency to overshift. Whether Texas does this or not will determine whether it's a burnt orange upset, or a purple blowout. 

I don't bet, so I'm not putting money down. But even though the odds are against Texas, they are not overwhelmingly against Texas. It's possible.

No, not inconceivable, but unlikely. During the first half against USC, Texas ran 19 times for 66 yards. Hardly impressive. Against a bad team. If Texas has more than 50 rushing yards in the first half against the frogs, I’ll buy you a beer next time I go to College Station.

Looking at injury reports, TCU only down 1 player after 3 games including a tough one against OSU.  That's just plain lucky.  

Meanwhile, we look like a triage center, USC and Wisconsin -- holy shit   

Bama down 2 guys, Clemson down 2 and tOSU down 1.  And those are the teams that have the depth to better overcome injuries, 

we know all to well how important depth and luck on the injury front matter, but damn if the top teams are not only stacked with talent but lucky as well so far.  

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Looking at injury reports, TCU only down 1 player after 3 games including a tough one against OSU.  That's just plain lucky.  

Bama down 2 guys, Clemson down 2 and tOSU down 1.  And those are the teams that have the depth to better overcome injuries, 

we know all to well how important depth and luck on the injury front matter, but damn if the top teams are not only stacked with talent but lucky as well so far.  

Seems like TCU has some catching up to do (not that I’d ever wish any severe injuries on their young men). 

11 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Maybe it’s not luck. Maybe they substitute more since they are stacked, so each player gets fewer snaps. Or maybe their strength and conditioning program is better. Or their technique is better.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:35 PM, Poolflood said:

The toads are coming of a physical game on the road and coming to our house.  I think we pull this game out.

Also:

-they may be looking past us 

-they are susceptible to occasional big plays, if we surprise them a bit, and they are still in deep recovery mode from tOSU then perhaps we have a shot. 

- the DBs have to take some meth and play out of their minds

i must have accidentally ingested hallucinogens, but I guess in the multiverse and quantum physics anything is possible.

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Maybe it’s not luck. Maybe they substitute more since they are stacked, so each player gets fewer snaps. Or maybe their strength and conditioning program is better. Or their technique is better.

I agree almost completelry, but there's still an element of luck. 

Edited by Treefidy

i THINK we're a better team this year, the OL certainly looks at least a notch or two better this year so far (most importantly IMO). With that said, I don't think TCU is better than last year and Tx actually hung with them pretty damn well despite having virtually zero consistent offensive threat. It ended up being a 17 point game. I'm feeling not so bad about this one with it in Austin, them coming off a damn physical loss and Robinson still being very green. Turpin and Raegor 'scare me to death' but I've come around from assuming blowout to coin toss

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XYZ said:

All valid... Hope depth continues to develop on OLine. 

Ready for maybe Okafor and Imade to get some snaps to give some folks a break.  Hopefully Horns can stay healthy through this gauntlet of TCU, KState, and BlowU...

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What Defense does Orlando run against horny toads??

Remember..... No Roach, and BJ is only available for 2nd Half....

With all the youth in the secondary an aggressive posture is not in the cards.

The best defense is 3 yards and a cloud of Ingram for 5 minutes at a time.

No tempo.  To give Orlando a chance to go mano mano with Patterson, we need to shorten the game.

We will lose a track meet.

17 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Feels like we're catching the Frogs in the refractory period with their pants down. If they come out soft, we need to take advantage.

Be swift on the kick, as those toads are known to sprat wildly on reflex...

imgur

I think TCU will have an advantage on defense, but with the film of the tOSU game in hand, the Longhorns can use some of the same things that worked against USC...

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

opening line looks like TCU -3....i would have guessed they would have opened up at least a touchdown favorite.

S&P+ has us projected to lose this game by 3.7 points (42% win probability), so this line is actually pretty otm.  

Edited by Fozzz

Crazy to see Posters criticizing Horn Fans who feel like Texas has a shot to beat horny toads.  Most Horn Fans understand tcu is the favorite, but playing at DKR  makes this a winnable game for the Longhorns.

Orlando can't allow toads to get off to a fast Offensive start like MD & USC games.  Texas Defense has to limit toads explosive plays and create turnovers.  If Horns limit mistakes (like penalties) and can run the ball Saturday, Texas has a chance to Win.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but can anyone speak to the issues with our blocking when we punt?  Guys are getting through untouched.  USC should have had a touchdown off a blocked punt and in both our other games we've struggled there, as well.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy to see Posters criticizing Horn Fans who feel like Texas has a shot to beat horny toads.  Most Horn Fans understand tcu is the favorite, but playing at DKR  makes this a winnable game for the Longhorns.

Orlando can't allow toads to get off to a fast Offensive start like MD & USC games.  Texas Defense has to limit toads explosive plays and create turnovers.  If Horns limit mistakes (like penalties) and can run the ball Saturday, Texas has a chance to Win.

Orlando's MO is to bring the house on third and long but it takes him a quarter to dial up the right blitz.  Would love to see him rush three with a spy early in the game to break tenancy