Best Burgers in Houston

mbtex

14 hours ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

They closed their old building and opened across the bridge in a bigger building. We haven’t been yet, but it’s always busy. 

Yeah they are in what used to be the Ichiban building. Still haven't tried Tookies seafood. 

We have a Hubcap Grill in Kemah, are they part of the Houston chain? Never been. 

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Cliff's on Fountainview is NOT the same. I know it got sold a few years ago and went downhill pretty quick. I haven't been in a couple of years but the last few times I went, Primo the old cook was gone and I'm sure that's most of it. Southwell's on the other side of San Felipe is decent. There's another across Gaylord from Memorial High.

Hamburgers by Gourmet was great. I used to go to the one on Westheimer just west of Kirkwood. Their buns were always really fresh.

Thanks for the info.  Sucks to hear.  Lots of good memories of that place.  Been to Southwell's several times.  Will have to check the one out over by Memorial HS.

43 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta shitty burger joints in the “best burger in houston” thread

hate hate hate

Most of these shitty burger joints have pretty good burgers, just not in the same league as Stanton's.

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinions thread that doesn’t exist here but I always thought Hubcap was overrated, especially the Shady Grove location which was just abysmal. And to top it off the downtown location always had a no credit card policy and the owner was a complete dick about it, as if being cash only in the 4th largest city in the country was just like every other restaurant. But he had his own ATM with above average fees. 

Edited by Mack Tripper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Southernthunder said:

Yeah they are in what used to be the Ichiban building. Still haven't tried Tookies seafood. 

We have a Hubcap Grill in Kemah, are they part of the Houston chain? Never been. 

Been to seafood. We like it. It’s clean and consistent. 

I belive the Hubcup In Kemah is the same. I think the downtown location is better though, but that may just be the surroundings. 

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta shitty burger joints in the “best burger in houston” thread

hate hate hate

Oh, it's the guy who knows more about BBQ than Champ here to lend his expertise on Burgers, now. I'm trying to think of an instance on this board where you've ever not been a cunt. Coming up blank. 

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, it's the guy who knows more about BBQ than Champ here to lend his expertise on Burgers, now. I'm trying to think of an instance on this board where you've ever not been a cunt. Coming up blank. 

When the fuck did I say I know more about bbq than Champ? Keep spouting bullshit

And im sorry, but there are much better burgers in Houston than the likes of Plonk, Wild Kitchen, Sams, Blakes, Lukes, etc

Now if this thread was titled: Good burgers in Houston or Burger lunch spots close to my work/commute, then we may have something here. There are some good recs on here, but also a lotta headscratchers for a “best of” list.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Was? There's a southwells 20 yards from my office.

I meant the one time I went there. Blew me away. Wife and kid dragged me there. I wanted Stanton. It took only time to make me a fan.  I don't know if there are others but the location I went to was just south of I-10, heights area near a PetSmart, I think, where all the new shops have sprung up over the last few years. Only negative was there was a steady stream, no pun,  of dog owners using an adjacent grassy area to have their pets poop and piss. Not an appetizing sight. Unless the dogshit gasses blew the place up, it should still be there.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are a few locations and figured they were run by the same folks in Austin (also Asian). But the one on the drag was sold to someone else. The one on airport I think had a different owner going a ways back. Do the BurgerTex locations in Houston have the bulgogi burgers?

AFAIK, yes. Their whole setup seems the same to me. Been itching to go, I’m a big Burger Tex fan dating back to college. 

Also, for that “Whataburger style” of burger, southwell’s is damn hard to beat if you are going with local options IMO

2 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

There is a place on Brittmore called Burger Tex that has a surprisingly good burger.  Run by a family of Asians and I think they tried to copy Fuddrucker's.  Fresh buns, fresh beef, cooked on a well seasoned flat top.

Agreed - this place is solid.  Another really good burger is a food truck at 59 between hillcroft and bellair called Rehla Foods. https://www.rehlafoods.com/

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are a few locations and figured they were run by the same folks in Austin (also Asian). But the one on the drag was sold to someone else. The one on airport I think had a different owner going a ways back. Do the BurgerTex locations in Houston have the bulgogi burgers?

Huh, they do.  Didn't realize it was a franchise.

26026092_1943149559337529_61820075959286

• 2 years later...
On 3/27/2018 at 8:57 PM, DoobieWah said:

Cliff's on Fountainview is NOT the same. I know it got sold a few years ago and went downhill pretty quick. I haven't been in a couple of years but the last few times I went, Primo the old cook was gone and I'm sure that's most of it.

Old post, but the last two times I've been in Houston, I've picked up from Cliff's and have been pretty pleased.  Brisket/Short rib patty.  1/2 lb.   Fries like I remember them.  Definitely has had the interior redone since my last visit 20+ years ago. 

Edited by dcbc

Tookies is great - or at least is used to be. Have not been to the new place yet.   Agree on downtown Hubcap but the limited seating when its hot outside anyways and the cash policy is enough to never make me want to go there. I cant run work lunches through cash so it's a nonstarter and I refuse to pay for my own lunch.  Ditto on Bubba's buffalo burgers excellence and the lack of fries.

The best I've had that is consistently great is down in Kemah area at Joe Lee's Seafood on fm 2094 across from Jackie's Brickhouse.  They brought the recipe from the South Shore Beer Garden when that closed due to Ike. (That place btw was fucking awesome)

Seconded on Mexican places making good burgers. Fajita meat, carne asada, ground beef and lot of good seasonings mixing on the gridle. 

I like Southwell's. It's good for what is, a slightly improved version of Whataburger with better ingredients. The grilled chicken sandwich with mustard, lettuce, grilled onions and jalapenos is the best chicken sandwich I've had in a long, long time. 

I wasn't impressed with Stantons. Pretty average burger for a sit down restaurant, and the staff was rude as hell. 

Hubcap is a joke and should be deleted from this thread. 

Bubba's buffalo chili is outstanding. I wasn't impressed with their burger. Just very, very lean without much going on. 

It's a been a long time since I've eaten at Cliff's. I need to change that. 

On 10/12/2020 at 1:30 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Seconded on Mexican places making good burgers. Fajita meat, carne asada, ground beef and lot of good seasonings mixing on the gridle. 

I like Southwell's. It's good for what is, a slightly improved version of Whataburger with better ingredients. The grilled chicken sandwich with mustard, lettuce, grilled onions and jalapenos is the best chicken sandwich I've had in a long, long time. 

I wasn't impressed with Stantons. Pretty average burger for a sit down restaurant, and the staff was rude as hell. 

Hubcap is a joke and should be deleted from this thread. 

Bubba's buffalo chili is outstanding. I wasn't impressed with their burger. Just very, very lean without much going on. 

It's a been a long time since I've eaten at Cliff's. I need to change that. 

I love southwells. You nailed it, it’s like a fresher tasting whataburger but everything I’ve never had a bad meal there. 

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Man, I haven’t been to Southwell’s in maybe 8 years. Always thought it was pretty good. Not great or special, but solid.

I do miss the Christian’s off I-10.

Speaking of i10 and the swath of places along it's length, anybody remember Charlie's?  "Over 2 Dozen Served."

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

those were the lupe tortilla burgers scorpio mentioned

Nice.

Also, while I'm charging down memory lane, I would be remiss if I didn't say that the "Hamburgers by Gourmet" in the 1980s on Westheimer just inside the loop were the best burgers ever until maybe, the point when I had "Porky's Demise" at Mad Dog and Beans just a bit later in the decade.

Edited by dcbc

Speaking of Mexican places doing good burgers, I need to try the Mexican cheeseburger from Mario’s Burger and Taco House. My wife said it reminded her of burgers in Brazil (which is a good thing). I always get the Mateo burrito and Mario always comments that I never try anything else. I need to change that.

Another NW spot that has a solid burger is Lazy Dog. Yeah, it’s a chain but not a bad burger and it’s a generous portion. Option for Cajun fries is good too.

21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Man, I haven’t been to Southwell’s in maybe 8 years. Always thought it was pretty good. Not great or special, but solid.

I do miss the Christian’s off I-10.

RIP

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

great burger and fair price.  the franchise locations haven't been as good. 

That's because Steve Christian sold all the other franchise locations but kept the Totem. The new guys changed the recipe and the whole fucking menu. 

20 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I haven’t lived in Houston for over a decade, but I always loved Lankford. No clue if it’s even open anymore

It's open but it's sucked for almost a decade now. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone been to Elliot’s Table in Cottage Grove. A+ from Allison Cook and she’s the Houston authority. 
https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/burger-friday-a-bonkers-good-blue-cheese-burger-15653250

We've been a few times, it's very local for us. It's pretty fucking great food. Hard to take a kid there, but it's high quality. 

3 hours ago, Mez2 said:

i dig millers cafe on n. shepherd. 

This is a good solid burger spot for sure.