Mad Men

HouTex

I binged it before the last season, and rewatching again now. I'm halfway through Season 2and it's definitely paying off. Mad Men had a habit of slowly revealing secondary characters, and it's cool to see them for the first time. (Freddy Rumson is a good example. His first scene he fixes Sal a drink by filling the glass full to the top.)

The way Don treats Betty is just so sad. Betty is a child of course, and he takes advantage of it. Does aholish things with no care, no IDEA, how it's gonna hurt her. Then it does.

Middle of Season 4 is where they get just a little bit self-aware with their characters.  The humor just starts "happening."  Watching "The Suitcase" right now.  One of the best front-to-back episodes there is.  Goes from dramatic, to funny, to ironic, to "HOLY SHIT" to sad.  All in just 44 minutes of screen time.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm up to the later part of Season 6 and you can describe it as one long fever dream.   The way they weaved the protest/riots after MLK's assassination sure do parallel the unpleasantness of today.  "The police are cracking their skulls."  "Megan they're throwing rocks.  They were looking for trouble."  Describes the debate pretty well.

That said, it seems like so many of the characters have become caricatures of themselves.  Like they're trying too hard to make Don a badass philanderer with low self-esteem.  Joan is really good at things but can't be taken seriously.  We get it already.  Don't gotta bash us over the head with it.  Same with all the easter eggs.  "Megan's wearing a t shirt with a red star!  Is she gonna get killed by Ted Bundy?!" And using colors for themes.  Distracting.

I still enjoy the later seasons, but I also understand the criticism. 

On 2/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, Parliament said:

Now I'm up to the later part of Season 6 and you can describe it as one long fever dream.   The way they weaved the protest/riots after MLK's assassination sure do parallel the unpleasantness of today.  "The police are cracking their skulls."  "Megan they're throwing rocks.  They were looking for trouble."  Describes the debate pretty well.

That said, it seems like so many of the characters have become caricatures of themselves.  Like they're trying too hard to make Don a badass philanderer with low self-esteem.  Joan is really good at things but can't be taken seriously.  We get it already.  Don't gotta bash us over the head with it.  Same with all the easter eggs.  "Megan's wearing a t shirt with a red star!  Is she gonna get killed by Ted Bundy?!" And using colors for themes.  Distracting.

I still enjoy the later seasons, but I also understand the criticism. 

I would duck. The Season 4-7 Boys will be coming for you. In many ways the show peaked in Season 3, and you could make a compelling argument for Season 2. When Betty finds out about Dick Whitman, it became a different show. 

I binged Season 1 Thursday night, and wow it made me like Roger Sterling that much more. All of Don’s charm and charisma without the dark side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I would duck. The Season 4-7 Boys will be coming for you. In many ways the show peaked in Season 3, and you could make a compelling argument for Season 2. When Betty finds out about Dick Whitman, it became a different show. 

I binged Season 1 Thursday night, and wow it made me like Roger Sterling that much more. All of Don’s charm and charisma without the dark side. 

7,1,4,3, the rest.  They turned down the cartooning some in Season 7, and the finale was just SO good.  Also it has Bert Cooper dancing.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Finished Sopranos re-watch. Now it's on to this.  First ever re-watch for this too.  S1 just flew by.  It's always been near the top of my all time list but I've forgotten a ton.

this rewatch is fantastic.

i always enjoy the rewatches of great writing, dialogue, character dynamic/development over shows with tension and twists.

mad men, west wing, and the wire rewatches are better to me than breaking bad and game of thrones rewatches.

• Hook 'Em 2

My family are always looking for stocking-stuffer type gifts for me, and honestly I never have much of anything that I want that I haven't already bought, so I ask for blurays/DVDs of seasons of shows I like.  Over the years I have collected all seasons of Mad Men, GOT, Simpsons seasons 1-10, and a couple others.

And a couple of years ago my brother even found the entire series of Sports Night, which we watched avidly when it came out since we were roommates (and yes the early season 1 laugh track is still just as annoying).

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably packing a HOG. One of these things is not like the other. 

Wedding Pics! Beth Behrs Marries Michael Gladis

is that broad from "Two Broke Girls?"  

I saw her in person once while at a horns game in L.A.  Her ass was absolutely stupefying.  I see now that she is the progressive man's January Jones.  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

is that broad from "Two Broke Girls?"  

I saw her in person once while at a horns game in L.A.  Her ass was absolutely stupefying.  I see now that she is the progressive man's January Jones.  

She also plays the white mom in The Neighborhood. I have no idea what you mean by “stupefying.” As asses go, I can appreciate lots of them all over the spectrum from “tight little” to “big phat.” I find hers to be wholly unremarkable and I don’t think she can act all that well either.

Cast two different women to star in Two Broke Girls and that show might’ve been successful. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

It means, her ass...for a skinny girl...was ample, supple, toned but robust, with great thigh-gap to introduce it to the world as if to say, "Hello, pleased to meet you."  

I gave it four stars.  I have no idea if she can act or not, and don't really care.  

The 'bounce a quarter' clip reminds me of something my cousin would say, "She had the kind of ass...you bounce a quarter off it, you get back six nickels."  

On 4/16/2021 at 8:42 AM, Lobo said:

It means, her ass...for a skinny girl...was ample, supple, toned but robust, with great thigh-gap to introduce it to the world as if to say, "Hello, pleased to meet you."  

I gave it four stars.  I have no idea if she can act or not, and don't really care.  

The 'bounce a quarter' clip reminds me of something my cousin would say, "She had the kind of ass...you bounce a quarter off it, you get back six nickels."  

Is there photo evidence of this ass of hers?

I listened to a brief history of cigarettes and advertising this morning. Of course Lucky Strike, Madison Avenue, and Mad Men were all referenced. It sounds like Lucky Strike was deeper into negative recruiting than the Aggys. Many of their ads in the 1940's stated that Camels caused throat inflammation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...