Mad Men

HouTex

Been bing watching this.  Can't believe I didn't watch it when it came out.  I'm about 2/3 done with season 3.  I was born in the early 60's and except for the office environment many of the sets/styles etc. remind me of my childhood.  Especially the  smoking and drinking part.

• Like 1

I've also been rewatching this again. I watched it in its original run.

Everyone that is old will remember stuff from this show we all grew up with and kids these days laugh at. Suitcases like Don's and Betty's that we all had to carry around, yeah no wheels on them or little handles that telescope up.

That being said, the first few seasons were absolute gold. The best TV there was. It drops off at its last season, or when dumbass AMC began splitting the seasons. 

The Wire is the GOAT, but Mad Men is probably my favorite of all time. So many great scenes and characters. Difficult to pick a best Sterling quote, but below are a few gems:

"Remember, Don, when God closes a door, he opens a dress."

"Look, we've got oysters Rockefeller, beef Wellington, napoleons. We leave this lunch alone, it'll take over Europe."

"I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean I guess."

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The Wire is the GOAT, but Mad Men is probably my favorite of all time. So many great scenes and characters. Difficult to pick a best Sterling quote, but below are a few gems:

"Remember, Don, when God closes a door, he opens a dress."

"Look, we've got oysters Rockefeller, beef Wellington, napoleons. We leave this lunch alone, it'll take over Europe."

"I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean I guess."

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Sometimes it's hard to read Betty.  In the Rome episode she's really into Don and in the next scene back home she is dreaming about the governor's advisor and hating her life.  

Then Don screws the young teacher--you knew that would happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some of the best non-Roger lines for me are when Don responds to someone's statement, telling the person he basically has not considered his existence.  It always catches me off guard. 

"He says every time Don Draper turns around, he sees me in his rear view mirror."

Draper:  "I don't know who that is."

"Mr. Draper, I think you are (blah blah blah)."

Draper:  "That's funny.  I don't think about you at all."

Just brutal.

Ginsberg was gay, right?  That teacher chick tossed him softballs all night and he didn't even swing at them.

My take is that he was just a weirdo. He always had issues. He just lost it. Never thought he might be gay.

I'm on the last season. Four or five episodes to go. Great show.

12 minutes ago, HouTex said:

My take is that he was just a weirdo. He always had issues. He just lost it. Never thought he might be gay.

I'm on the last season. Four or five episodes to go. Great show.

He was schizophrenic in the end. Probably in the beginning, too. 

Edited by crackamacgowski

Great series, great writing, great characters.  But no mention yet of Joan Holloway? Am I the only one who occasionally wishes this series had aired on HBO?  Because, well, a "True Detective Season 1 Episode Two-esque Scene" with Joan Holloway, well, I've been to my bunk often at the thought...

giphy.gif

Edited by Dutch

Joan is a great character. She and the other women in the show, except Peggy, kept getting hotter and hotter. Betts did have a weight issue for a while.

And what the hell with Ken's eye? But for the eye patch it wasn't really duscussed until the middle of season 7. He should have sued the shit out of that idiot.

He got it shot out by a GM executive in season 6? I think season 6. Bob Benson took over the account then.

Yep. I just found it odd that they showed the gunshot with Ken going down and then he appears in the rest of the episodes with a patch. No discussion of whether it's a permanent loss or just an injury that will heal. A few episodes later it's apparent that he lost his eye.

“Shut the Door. Have a Seat.” is one of my favorite episodes of any television show ever.  Season 3 finale. Just brilliant. 

The scene where Don comes up with the idea to have Lane fire them all is incredible. 

And when Don begs Peggy to join him? Holy shit. Their relationship throughout was amazing but this scene was as good as it gets. 

• Like 2

and nobody understands that.  but you do.  and that's very valuable.

emotionally vulnerable draper is magical television (also see gypsy and hobo, the wheel).

i echo the episode.  it's probably my #2 all time behind lost/looking glass, but that's splitting hairs.  it's an insanely great episode of television and i've seen it 20 times.

An early look at what makes MM so great.  Cooper's eccentricity and underrated, deep knowledge of the business.  Roger's immaturity, glibbness and ability to "grow up" at the time it's really necessary.  Don's naivete, caused by the fact he grew up poor.  And Pete trying to be a baddass, only to be exposed as the douchebag he is.  Also a great plot twist.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

An early look at what makes MM so great.  Cooper's eccentricity and underrated, deep knowledge of the business.  Roger's immaturity, glibbness and ability to "grow up" at the time it's really necessary.  Don's naivete, caused by the fact he grew up poor.  And Pete trying to be a baddass, only to be exposed as the douchebag he is.  Also a great plot twist.  

Roger shrinks an extra inch in height 🤣