Houston @ Texas Tech on Fox

Disco Missile

just checking in again to say I still can't believe how convincingly Tech won this game and how little they did to try and beat themselves

this was the complete opposite of the Ole' Miss game it sucks that Tech is not getting that Ole' Miss game now instead of to start the season

Tech really needed this UH game though and it has really kicked their fan base in the balls and gotten them ginned up to do stupid things like fire coaches and make changes

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

just checking in again to say I still can't believe how convincingly Tech won this game and how little they did to try and beat themselves

this was the complete opposite of the Ole' Miss game it sucks that Tech is not getting that Ole' Miss game now instead of to start the season

Tech really needed this UH game though and it has really kicked their fan base in the balls and gotten them ginned up to do stupid things like fire coaches and make changes

Not trying to rain on the parade in the least as I enjoyed getting a win.  It's a heck of a lot better than losing.  There were still a lot of trademarks out there though of a poorly coached team IMO.  Horrible defense, senseless, undisciplined penalties, and poor special teams to name three.

It also makes sense to recall we beat UH last year and we all know now what transpired the rest of the season.   While the UH offense is really pretty good, UH is most certainly a team that will never be confused with Alabama. An apparently pretty bad Rice team gave them all they wanted and Arizona is beyond bad as well.  

I'm hardly ready to endorse giving KK a contract extension just yet.

11 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Not trying to rain on the parade in the least as I enjoyed getting a win.  It's a heck of a lot better than losing.  There were still a lot of trademarks out there though of a poorly coached team IMO.  Horrible defense, senseless, undisciplined penalties, and poor special teams to name three.

It also makes sense to recall we beat UH last year and we all know now what transpired the rest of the season.   While the UH offense is really pretty good, UH is most certainly a team that will never be confused with Alabama. An apparently pretty bad Rice team gave them all they wanted and Arizona is beyond bad as well.  

I'm hardly ready to endorse giving KK a contract extension just yet.

We all knew KK would have a learning curve when he was hired, and I think most Tech fans were well prepared to be patient enough to allow him to learn on the job.

But there hasn't been any trend towards improvement, minus the offensive play this year (which I admit is light years better than last year already).

I think the minimum, and this is the bare minimum, that Kliff needs to keep his job after this season is 7-8 regular season wins plus a bowl victory.  Unfortunately for Kliff, I just don't see it happening. That defense is still horrific, and the penalties just keep coming with sad regularity.  It's a shame...I really like Kliff and I want him to be successful.  I'm just not sure he's going to be able to improve enough this year to make it happen.

What would you guys say Kliff's signature wins are? Wins that he can hang his hat on? Here is mine,

2015 win vs Arkansas in Fayetteville against Bielema.

2015 win vs Texas in Austin

2017 win vs Texas in Austin

Honorable mentions:

2016 OT win vs TCU in Fort Worth

His first year he had some really great wins over TCU, W Virginia and Arizona State, but wasn't it still Tuberville's team?

Don’t give up possession of the ball for 15 yards of field position.

The specialteams have improved from a disastrous start against Ole Miss.

I’m still middle of the road on Kliff.  He’s gotta stop the bad football decisions.  This year’s schedule is tough.  I’m willing to wait and see what happens.  The next 4 weeks or so are gonna frame his position a lot more clearly. 

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

What would you guys say Kliff's signature wins are? Wins that he can hang his hat on? Here is mine,

2015 win vs Arkansas in Fayetteville against Bielema.

2015 win vs Texas in Austin

2017 win vs Texas in Austin

Honorable mentions:

2016 OT win vs TCU in Fort Worth

His first year he had some really great wins over TCU, W Virginia and Arizona State, but wasn't it still Tuberville's team?

I agree with your's above.

I will give him credit for all his first season wins because Tuberville's recruiting wasn't that great, and he quit on it.  Regardless of talent, that TCU team he beat his first year was a pretty salty team.  I also think the bowl win over Arizona State can be a signature win because they overcame the meltdown that was the second half of the season, a lot of injuries, and the Baker Mayfield Diva Drama.  

I want to know why the 2015 Tech team that went into Arkansas and just dominated was such a flash in the pan?  It's like Kliff put all his emotion and energy into preparing for that one game alone.  I want to see that team every week.

Kliff can coach QB's and knows go-fast offense. I've yet to see a team play that style that has consistently balanced it with good defense. I imagine that at some level the DC's hate to be paired with it because the numbers generally look horrible even when winning games.

Good win for the red and black though.

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Kliff can coach QB's and knows go-fast offense. I've yet to see a team play that style that has consistently balanced it with good defense. I imagine that at some level the DC's hate to be paired with it because the numbers generally look horrible even when winning games.

Good win for the red and black though.

We've all been watching Tech talk their way through the need for a decent DC for the better part of two decades, dating back to Leach's initial tenure in 2000.  Texas' pivot to the spread has kept Tech afloat on offense, but they just can't get the horses on defense to keep up.  That's not going to change any time soon until they stumble onto a Peterson-type generational coach.  If TCU can do it, we know Tech can.  Easier said then done, but it's possible.    

On 9/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, Welshy said:

He certainly should. That was a game Tech traditionally loses, or at least has to outscore the opponent to win. Tech pulling away in the 4th is...unusual.

I love that for a tech fan, winning a game 63-49 is not "outscoring the opponent." 

This was a good game for tech.  Kliff is making some good coaching adjustments to his style and I'm impressed with the results.  He might just pan out after all.  He's definitely getting the talent he needs. 

The most impressive thing to me is how the game plan took UH's dline out of the game.  Oliver is a real difference maker and they schemed him out pretty well.  Seemed like a non factor, and that's bad for uh.  Leach was always great at that, and I remember in multiple games wondering why our best rushers disappeared vs his teams.  Every now and then you'd get a kindle on Potts like hit in, but given how much they passed you expected a lot more pressure and disruption than we ever actually saw. 

Tech had a good win Saturday.  Honestly the best I see Tech doing this year is 6-6, I hope I am wrong and it is better.  And knowing Tech that means he stays on.  I like Kliff and want him to stay on but this stuff needs to be the norm, not a once in a while.  I want to beat OSU pretty bad.  He pulls that out and I will start to possibly sip a little kool aid.

While the offense is clicking the defense is still fucking stupid.  Gibbs is not having the impact I thought he would by now.

• Like 1