Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

47 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Gilmour is on my bucket list....I'd love to see him before he's done for good, if he's not already. Literally anywhere on earth.

Window is closing (or could be closed), but he's still damned good.

I was exactly where you are now before the Rattle That Lock tour in 2016.

Flew all the way to NYC to see him.  So glad I bit that bullet.

Window is closing (or could be closed), but he's still damned good.
I was exactly where you are now before the Rattle That Lock tour in 2016.
Flew all the way to NYC to see him.  So glad I bit that bullet.

Yeah, I’m afraid it may already be closed....but if he posts any dates in the UK or somewhere over there I’m in

I don't know what was worse, his 2 second lip-synch debacle or the "rhythm" of the dancer to Water's far left in the frame/stage left of him.  

Would like to see him, saw Floyd once without him (obviously in 1994).  But he's only coming to Dallas during ACL weekend.  Though, maybe that means he's gonna dovetail an appearance here in Austin on top of that standard tour show up IH-35.  Would be cool.  

Visually Waters' show (I saw him during the Us & Them tour) is stunning.  I had seen Gilmour about a year before, and while that one was visually badass too, it wasn't in the same league with Waters.

But, it stops there.

His band, while they're good, had the feel of a mercenary high powered cover band, because that's what they are.  There's humor in there too with  Waters' handpicked guitarist, David Gilmeister.  When he did the introductions, I thought Waters just had a better sense of humor than I had realized.  Then later I read that was the dude's actual name.

LO fuckin' L.

His players are good.  Damned good, but there's something missing.  A lack of warmth for each other, a connection of sorts.

Gilmour's show?  Man, you can see them all looking at each other, smiling that "We nailed that one smile" winding up a song.  The comradare, the joy of the music and the moment is all right there and it's authentic.  Nobody's trying to sound like someone else in the original band, they just do the songs as themselves.  Moreover, DG ain't up there with an agenda beyond the music.  You definitely don't come away feeling like you've been at a political bitchfest.  The dude is not only a professional, he's a gentleman.

Like I've said before, given the choice between seeing a full on Waters' extravaganza like say, The Wall Tour, or seeing Gilmour noodling around on an acoustic at a coffee shop, well, I'll take mine with a little cream and no sugar.

Edited by Cajun

I'm fond of Pink Floyd fronted by Gilmour. Learning to fly is one of my favorite Pink Floyd tracks. The Division Bell is a controversial album among Pink Floyd fans, but there were some good tunes on that album such as Coming back to life, High hopes and Take it back. I preferred Gilmour's vocals opposed to that of Roger Waters.

• Like 2

I've never understood the legal/personal drama bullshit that's kept Richard Wright from effectively being recognized as a member of Pink Floyd for the last 30 years.  He's there as a songwriter, there in studio, there on the albums, and there on tour.  Why has it basically just been Gilmour and Mason for the last 30 years as the only "members" of Pink Floyd?  

I get that, but he was a writer, musician, and tourer (sp?) with them for Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell, and a few other projects around then as well.  

On the album, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", Richard Wright is NOT listed as a member of Pink Floyd.  Nor does he receive credit in the live performances shortly thereafter as a band member.  I'm looking at the album and he plays on it and did some shows with them, but he's not listed nor pictured as a member of Pink Floyd. 

he still wasn't a full time member when the album was recorded, it was basically a gilmour solo project. nick mason didn't contribute much either. this was during the time period when waters was trying to sue the rest of the band for the pink floyd name...which i suspect had something to do with wright not being a full time member yet. 

eta:  what stc said...

AMLOR is basically a Gilmour solo album.

Wiki:

In Waters' absence, Gilmour had been recruiting musicians for a new project. Months previously, keyboardist Jon Carin had jammed with Gilmour at his Hookend studio, where he composed the chord progression that became "Learning to Fly", and so was invited onto the team.[17] Gilmour invited Bob Ezrin (co-producer of 1979's The Wall) to help consolidate their material;[18] Ezrin had turned down Waters' offer of a role on the development of his new solo album, Radio K.A.O.S., saying it was "far easier for Dave and I to do our version of a Floyd record".[19] Ezrin arrived in England in mid-1986 for what Gilmour later described as "mucking about with a lot of demos".[20]

At this stage, there was no commitment to a new Pink Floyd release, and Gilmour maintained that the material might become his third solo album. CBS representative Stephen Ralbovsky hoped for a new Pink Floyd album, but in a meeting in November 1986, told Gilmour and Ezrin that the music "doesn't sound a fucking thing like Pink Floyd".[21] Gilmour later said that the project had been difficult without Waters.[22] He experimented with songwriters such as Eric Stewart and Roger McGough, but settled on Anthony Moore,[23] who was credited as co-writer of "Learning to Fly" and "On the Turning Away". Whereas many prior Pink Floyd albums are concept albums, Gilmour chose a more conventional approach of a collection of songs without a thematic link.[24] By the end of that year, he had decided to make the material into a Pink Floyd project.[6]

A Momentary Lapse of Reason was recorded in several studios, mainly Gilmour's houseboat studio Astoria, moored on the Thames; according to Ezrin, "working there was just magical, so inspirational; kids sculling down the river, geese flying by ...".[20] Andy Jackson was brought in to engineer. During sessions held between November 1986 and February 1987,[26] Gilmour's band worked on new material, which in a marked change from previous Pink Floyd albums was recorded with a 24-track analogue machine and overdubbed onto a 32-track Mitsubishi digital recorder. This trend of using new technologies continued with the use of MIDI synchronisation, aided by an Apple Macintosh computer.[21][27]

After agreeing to rework the material that Ralbovsky had found objectionable, Gilmour employed session musicians such as Carmine Appice and Jim Keltner. Both drummers, they replaced Mason on several songs; Mason was concerned that he was too out of practice to perform on the album, and instead busied himself with its sound effects.[21][28] Some drum parts were also performed by drum machines.[29] During the sessions, Gilmour was asked by the wife of Pink Floyd's former keyboardist, Richard Wright, if he could contribute. A founding member of the band, Wright had left in 1979, and there were legal obstacles to his return, but after a meeting in Hampstead he was recruited as a paid musician on a weekly wage of $11,000.[30][31] Gilmour said in an interview with author Karl Dallas that Wright's presence "would make us stronger legally and musically". However, his contributions were minimal; most of the keyboard parts had already been recorded, and so from February 1987 Wright played some background reinforcement on a Hammond organ, and a Rhodes piano, and added vocal harmonies. He also performed a solo in "On the Turning Away", which was discarded, according to Wright, "not because they didn't like it ... they just thought it didn't fit."[25] Gilmour later said: "Both Nick and Rick were catatonic in terms of their playing ability at the beginning. Neither of them played on this at all really. In my view, they'd been destroyed by Roger." Gilmour's comments angered Mason, who said: "I'd deny that I was catatonic. I'd expect that from the opposition, it's less attractive from one's allies. At some point, he made some sort of apology." Mason conceded that Gilmour was nervous about how the album would be perceived.[30]

Edited by UTCzech III

16 hours ago, stc said:

he still wasn't a full time member when the album was recorded, it was basically a gilmour solo project. nick mason didn't contribute much either. this was during the time period when waters was trying to sue the rest of the band for the pink floyd name...which i suspect had something to do with wright not being a full time member yet. 

This.

I can tell you that there was nothing in Gilmour trying to keep Wright out of PF.

Now Waters?

Well...

On 1/22/2020 at 12:51 PM, Cajun said:

The second I heard about him auctioning off his guitars I felt the chill.

This.  

BTW, I got online to buy tickets for Roger Waters last night (I know, they don't go on presale in Dallas until tomorrow, but I wanted to check it out).  Unfortunately I'm out of town that weekend.  Guess it just means I'll have to road trip somewhere else to see him.

early word from C3 is that they're trying to get Waters to play ACL right after his Dallas show.  He seems like a dick, but I'd still like to see him live to cross another bucket concert off.  

Oh, he's a dick.

Kinda revels in it, actually.

Dude does put on a good show, even if he's miming most of it.

And the wokeness of an RW/ACL hootenanny will be beyond measure.  If he comes and you go, just be sure to wear rubber boots cause it'll be thick and deep.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  

BTW, I got online to buy tickets for Roger Waters last night (I know, they don't go on presale in Dallas until tomorrow, but I wanted to check it out).  Unfortunately I'm out of town that weekend.  Guess it just means I'll have to road trip somewhere else to see him.

During the Us & Them Tour dates were added very late.  

I could see the same happening here.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted here...

Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters will deliver one of the keynote speeches at next year’s South by Southwest, set to take place March 13th through 22nd in Austin, Texas.

An exact date and venue have yet to be announced for Waters’ speech, and it’s unclear what exactly the musician will discuss. Previous musicians to deliver the SXSW keynote address include Bruce Springsteen, Dave Grohl, Lady Gaga, Garth Brooks, Snoop Dogg and the Beastie Boys‘ Ad-Rock and Mike D.

Waters has had a relatively quiet 2019 after spending much of 2017 and 2018 touring the world with his Us + Them show. The performance featured dozens of Pink Floyd hits, Waters’ solo material and an engrossing light show with heavily political overtones — including imagery that took on Donald Trump, Mark Zuckerberg, Palestine, anti-Semitism, the military industrial complex, neo-fascism and more. In October, a concert film — shot at the tour’s 2018 stop in Amsterdam — screened in movie theaters around the world.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-sxsw-2020-keynote-speaker-911512/

On 1/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Today, Echoes is my favorite PF tune. Tomorrow it will be something else.

The call and response between Gilmour and Wright at the  end of this is the best.

Live at Gdansk is such a great addition to the library if anyone on this thread doesn't own it.  It's all fantastic.

The second I hear Gilmour's solo on Great Day For Freedom from that show I'll stop everything I'm doing.  Stunningly beautiful.

I also love the guitar work he does on Where We Start with that Gretsch.  Such a sublimely different tone...

Puts me in a mood man.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:33 AM, Cajun said:

Oh, he's a dick.

Kinda revels in it, actually.

Dude does put on a good show, even if he's miming most of it.

And the wokeness of an RW/ACL hootenanny will be beyond measure.  If he comes and you go, just be sure to wear rubber boots cause it'll be thick and deep.

too true.  at least there won't be 20K Beto shirts.  yeah he plays the dick well.  I can handle a bit of it(springsteen does it OK)but with waters it just distracts from the show.  if I'm going to get an ACL ticket anyway I will be there.

saw the Pink Floyd tribute band at ACL Live.  thought the show was pretty damn kickass and totally surprised me at how good it was.  would LOVE to see Gilmour but I'm pretty sure I waited too long on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Going through my bootlegs, weeding some stuff out, and forgot about this.  Back in the early 90's Dave did a lot of soundtrack work, some with Rick and Nick.  Actually, most of it was outtakes/jams from the Division Bell/Endless River sessions that Dave just adapted for the soundtracks he was asked to work on.  Here's one, has a couple of really nice jam/solo sections, just ignore the audio on top.

They also did the soundtrack for two films using the same music for both, just broken up in different ways, "Ruby Takes a Trip" and a mathematics documentary called "The Colours of Infinity".  This is just a small portion.  If you can, seek out the 16 minutes of audio pulled from the DVD, it's almost all music with very little audio on top.  Can't find it on youtube, just little chunks, but you can get it on Yeeshkul or other sites I'm sure..

17 hours ago, Lobo said:

I highly recommend the Pink Floyd tracks from the original motion picture soundtrack to ‘Zabriskie Point.’

Agreed.  Crumbling Land has always been one of my sleeper favs..

ETA: BTW, they show that on TCM a couple of times a year, pretty trippy late 60's hippie movie.  Has some great cinematography.

Edited by UTCzech III

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Cajun said:

Is this the douche we really wanted?

Got get a bit into it for the "Help help, I being REPRESSED!" hilarity.

I gotta say, this doesn't give me the warm fuzzies for Rog.  In fact, the whole time I'm having mental images of David Gilmour eye rolls.  It's like the girlfriend who shits on you, breaks up with you, gets shit on by the next guy and shows up on your doorstep wanting back in.  You wanted the Roger Waters show, you got the Roger Waters show.  Carry on then.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, he’s a very wealthy man. What exactly is his complaint? That they won’t let him market his records on the website? Didn’t he leave the band? You don’t get to leave the band with your music the band recorded, make millions on said music, and then cry. It doesn’t work that way. Let it go Roger. Do The Wall For the 20th time on a different format. I hear there’s this thing called Zoom. You might be able to monetize that. 

• Like 1

Yes Roger, just schedule another gigantic Climate Change protest/bitchfest/concert charging $800 per ticket while rolling in fifty two diesel powered 18 wheelers to bring in the stage set.  Top it all off by coordinating from a phone in your Gulfstream.

Such a solid, authentic guy.

Oh, and Roger, please try to cut down on the lip synching this go-around.

Kthxbai!

Gilmour has too much class.

Saw each of their shows within about a year of each other.  Both were fantastic, but you could really tell the difference in personalities.  Roger's Us & Them, with it's stunning audio/visual, was also a reflection of that FB video's "Look at me, look at me!" bent.  There was even a point in the show where he has a gigantic version of himself standing inside a laser Pink Floyd signature prism.  Cool as shit, but fuck his ego was just so in your face.

Gilmour, on the other hand, maybe said 4 words (aside from band introductions) and one got the distinct feeling watching him that he wanted the music out front, not himself.  The tunes are basically the same, the political undertones are there, but Gilmour just lets the audience sink into it all to come along for the journey, wherever it may take each of them.

Roger?  Sheeeeeeeiiiiit.  He crams it down your throat with a toilet plunger.  One that looks cool with lasers, projections, and unimanigable sounds coming out of it, but a plunger all the same.

Don't get me wrong, I dig me some angry Floyd, just like I like a big ass Dart Bowl Enchilada plate.  At some point, however, "No Mas!" for a little while.  Allow for a bit of digestion.  To that Roger says, "Fuck YOU!  Have another!!!".

• Like 1