Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

It's like the other members are just looking around with that unspoken, "How long can fucking Roger hold his breath here on the ego deal?"

3-2-1-boom!

The other thing that reunion made clear was how many light years Gilmour's voice was ahead of Water's when they ran through Wish You Were Here.  I guess that's why ole Roger does the lip synch thing in between lecturing the world about how full of snake oil salesmen it is

lulz.

• 1 month later...

Covid stay at home boredom has me breaking out the lazers and Later Years Box set Blu-Rays I haven't eyeballed yet.  Came across one with "Concert Films" in the menu.  Figured I'd share some of my cabin fever madness with you gents.  More to come, but give this a go for starters.  Might help you conserve on the psilocybin supply...

Edited by Cajun
And preemptive apologies. I will hold the camera steady on the next one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Cajun. I haven't watched that in a looong time. That got me thinking about Rachel Fury, of course, and that led me to a blogpost , http://www.deanfromaustralia.com/2011/06/oh-beautiful-fury.html .

That led me to a youtube video of PF performing after hours as The Fishermen. Good stuff even though it's a little ragged at times. The ladies are much more prominent and knock it out of the park.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's just been too long since anyone's posted, so forgive me for what I'm sure is a repost, but from April 2016 RTL Tour.  Madison Square Garden from my awesome mediocre seat...

Edited by Cajun
At the 3:20 mark the young girl's voice was my Taylor Swift/Beiber loving 11yr old daughter singing along. Strange the stuff you get proud of as a father.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

“It’s a good day to be a Floyd.” - 4/20/21

One of the best and most amazing things about Floyd are how many of their songs and even whole albums are timeless and relevant still today.  “Us and Them” is a prime example.  Fantastic song that I have thought of many times in the past few years in relation to current events.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, Cajun said:

Most of the stuff from Roger's "Is This The Life We Really Want" album didn't really blow me away, but I will admit that the throwback sound of this tune definitely did grab me by the boo boo.  Echoes of angry Floyd --

The first couple minutes of the song show some signs of potential, but it never really develops.  By the end of the song, it's just yet-another-preachy-spoken-word song like virtually all the rest of his solo stuff.

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Beato talking about Comfortably Numb for half an hour, one of his favorite songs of all time. Came out just as he was graduating high school.  

Funny, I was just coming here to post this, never seen this one before.  From 1986 (went down a rabbit hole while searching for info on Dave's guitar tone on Paul McCartney's "No More Lonely Nights" single and wound up finding this...)  Some nice variances during the 2nd solo, does a couple of things I haven't heard on other recordings...  it's a good version.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m sure there are endless reasons, as with any lifetime, but it sure feels like Roger was responsible for quite a bit of the musicianship getting sucked out of Rick and Nick as Floyd broke big.  

It’s been well established that Rick had a bit of a sensitive, peaceful personality that translated into his compositions…but also was easy fodder for Roger to menace, especially since I’ve read he was finding contributing to The Wall very challenging.  I find it ironic he was the only one who made any money on the original tour.  

Nick is a little more a gut feeling, based on seeing how much of a wild man drummer he was on Live At Pompeii…as his contributions faded over the years to my ears.  He composed Speak To Me to great effect, and his playing on DSOTM is a masterful study in context-appropriate restraint.  

It just shows that Waters must be a top-10 ego of his time, as he managed to crumple up two outstanding musicians.  Of course Gilmours voice/guitar WAS Floyd to the kind of general radio listener that you needed to make platinum records vs gold solo albums…which was the trump card that allowed the name to stick with Dave/Nick/Rick, to the tune of several massive tours.  Sure the lyrics weren’t “hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way”-brilliant, but they weren’t Dale Dudley-levels of whining either, and the music was actually something worth listening to.  

Ultimately the best description is Roger made you think while Dave/et al made you want to listen.  It’s a shame Live8 was all we ever had again before Rick died.  From what I understand he was a multipack smoker for decades after the others kicked that habit.  

Echoes, Us and Them, Any Colour, Great Gig, Shine On, Pigs, etc…dude was a massive part of the Floyd sound.  

Not sure where I was going with this diatribe, I think I just enjoy writing about Floyd with other fans.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

It just shows that Waters must be a top-10 ego of his time

Sort of like McCartney, without either of whom their demands for perfection wouldn’t have resulted in some of the finest recordings of all time. The difference being that Paul didn’t carry the bulk of the lyrical workload during the peak years of the Beatles like Roger did during the peak years of the Floyd. 

Sort of like McCartney, without either of whom their demands for perfection wouldn’t have resulted in some of the finest recordings of all time. The difference being that Paul didn’t carry the bulk of the lyrical workload during the peak years of the Beatles like Roger did during the peak years of the Floyd. 

Also, the Macca, while confident of his abilities, was by all accounts not such an overt and unrepentant asshole as Roger. He could come off as an asshole, but he wasn’t setting out to be so. I think Roger was like a bully. He rather enjoyed being as asshole, and picking on those he saw as weak. That’s a huge difference to me.

Further, all the Beatles hung out with each other afterwards on occasion even though they kept it quiet. They genuinely liked each other as people and recognized they shared something together that only they could. After breaking up in their mid 20s they grew as people and could see each other as individuals. My sense of the Floyd breakup is everyone hated Roger and he was cool with that. Very little personal growth shown there.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also, the Macca, while confident of his abilities, was by all accounts not such an overt and unrepentant asshole as Roger. He could come off as an asshole, but he wasn’t setting out to be so. I think Roger was like a bully. He rather enjoyed being as asshole, and picking on those he saw as weak. That’s a huge difference to me.

The Wall was Roger's inner asshole being manifested for everybody to see.  I've read too many accounts of him just shitting all over Rick.

And I always found it amusing that Waters really looked up to Lennon, since both of them had similar personalities.  And Gilmour played with McCartney quite a bit.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Further, all the Beatles hung out with each other afterwards on occasion even though they kept it quiet. They genuinely liked each other as people and recognized they shared something together that only they could. After breaking up in their mid 20s they grew as people and could see each other as individuals. My sense of the Floyd breakup is everyone hated Roger and he was cool with that. Very little personal growth shown there.

Yeah, the fact that Dave/Rick/Nick stayed friends, worked together, etc., speaks volumes to the dynamics of things.

I have heard that Roger tried to make peace with each of them at various points, but I don't know how much of that is true, and how much is Roger's PR machine trying to smooth things out.  I've been watching a lot of YouTube over the past year, and I've gotten the impression that Roger is trying to soften certain aspects of his image in the past few years.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

But Roger wasn't carrying the bulk of the musical workload. Some of their best stuff from that era resulted from the music of the others.

Trivia for today, Lennon catching Floyd in the '60s (around the 22:30 mark).

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 8/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

But Roger wasn't carrying the bulk of the musical workload. Some of their best stuff from that era resulted from the music of the others.

Trivia for today, Lennon catching Floyd in the '60s (around the 22:30 mark).

Roger wasn’t sitting idly by while the rest of the band composed the music. Just because you think he was asshole, it doesn’t diminish his contributions to the music of Pink Floyd. There have been lots of assholes throughout the history of rock music. Lennon and McCartney were both assholes. There were assholes in Zeppelin and The Who and Jefferson Airplane and CSNY and Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, and the list goes on and on. Jerry Garcia once shoved Phil Lesh down a short flight of stairs because he didn’t like the way Phil played that night and then, after listening to the tapes, realized that they were really hot. So who knows? Frank Zappa was an asshole and published recordings of his bandmates saying so.

I love me some Syd Barrett era Floyd. Back then they were the British counterpart to the Grateful Dead. They were the premier psychedelic band of the London acid scene just like the Dead were the premier psychedelic band of the San Francisco acid scene. And it’s no secret that John and Paul were fans of The Floyd. I’ve read an account of how on one occasion John and Paul were tripping balls at some club where Floyd was playing and were crawling around on all fours on the ground and under tables. That was from a great book about Pink Floyd I used to own but I loaned it to a friend and, when I asked to get it back from her, she claimed she didn’t have it and had no recollection of ever borrowing it. Coincidentally, that was one of the friends who hosted a party after my first Phish show on 4/20/93 where I met Phish keyboardist Page McConnell and showed him the discs I brought by King Crimson and Frank Zappa to play at the party.

It’s cool that Lennon went to see Floyd. Zappa played with them.

He also played with Lennon.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That looks like one of the directories on my NAS.

I'm betting there's a bunch of Dark Side stuff in those later concerts, even if they pre-date DSOTM's release.

Oh yeah, everything in 1972, is amazing to hear how different songs progress over the timeline (vocal arrangements, solos, etc...)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upthread was a comment about The Wall being Roger’s inner-asshole let loose…and man is that the truth.  Once Money became a huge single, and became the very thing that it was railing against, probably is the start of that whole album.  

Fans changed from reverent psychonauts to stadium crowds.  They were no longer intimately connected to their fans as they shouted ‘MONEY!!!’ during songs like Astronomy Domine, set off firecrackers in the back and totally lost how the song fit into the rest of the album.  I want to say it was Dave that said WYWH should have been titled ‘Wish WE Were Here, because we weren’t’.  

Animals may be the best example of them as true rock and roll, but the lyrics started taking on more of Roger’s cynicism and the sound became more compressed per his apparent wishes…perfect lead in to The Wall, forged by the incident where he spit on a fan trying to climb the stage (which I don’t necessarily disagree with).  

Ive always been fascinated with the original tour of the album, and lament that there is no truly excellent video of it.  Rogers fascist fantasy is present across the full spectrum: wearing headphones to further isolate himself from the audience, the military outfits, vaguely swastika hammers marching,  railing against perceived past wrongs, audience-focused diatribes, he originally wanted the wall to stand as a final fuck-you to the crowds, etc.  

I tell people I love the Floyd particularly because their personal history is an integral driver of their music, which isn’t remotely unique but the combination of musicianship, meticulous engineering, general lack of tight ‘if you’re gonna have a hit you gotta make it quick so they cut it down to 3:05’ radio friendliness, and very broad arc of album styles DOES make them fairly unique up there with The Beatles.  

They’re truly a band you can dig into endlessly and still discover truths, unlike someone like Ke$sha who I enjoyed like I enjoy a cheap lager after mowing the lawn.  The Floyd were like a good wine or scotch, the story of its creation is reflected in the taste.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1