Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

On 2/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, UTCzech III said:

Roger's official youtube channel just dropped some recordings from a 1987 KAOS show (Quebec, widely bootlegged).  Not sure why, supposed to be up on Spotify as well but I can't find them...

Why does his Precision shape shift into a Telecaster?  Weird.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Upthread was a comment about The Wall being Roger’s inner-asshole let loose…and man is that the truth.  Once Money became a huge single, and became the very thing that it was railing against, probably is the start of that whole album.

What a load of crap. 

On 2/17/2022 at 10:06 AM, UTCzech III said:

Roger's official youtube channel just dropped some recordings from a 1987 KAOS show (Quebec, widely bootlegged).  Not sure why, supposed to be up on Spotify as well but I can't find them...

The first Roger Waters show I saw was on that tour. The singer from Squeeze opened. The one that sang Tempted. It was a great show. Speaking of Money, Roger played a long, jammed-out version that was like 12 minutes long. Probably shorter than that if I could find a recording, but waaaay longer than the album version. I dig that.

I also saw Pink Floyd twice in ‘87. Once at Cleveland Municipal Stadium and once at Ohio Stadium, the first concert ever held at the ‘Shoe. They don’t jam. David Gilmour isn’t into improvisational music. He’s not good at it. Listen to old live recordings and you hear him resorting to that seagull effect like you hear on Echoes all the time. He prefers to play the same solo every time. He killed Pink Floyd as a jam band. You might think that’s a good thing. I don’t.

I’ve said this before: Roger Waters puts on a better concert, Pink Floyd puts on a better show.

• Hook 'Em 1

I should probably add that the time I saw Waters doing The Wall with all the multi-projector effects was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, far outweighing anything I ever saw the post-Waters Floyd do no matter how big they made their giant mirrored ball for the Comfortably Numb finale. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What a load of crap. 

Elaborate.  Genuinely curious which part…The Wall being his inner asshole let loose or Money being the start of it?  He’s said as much that playing huge stadium shows was the beginning of disillusionment with the process and Money was certainly the hit single that propelled DSOtM to reach audiences they normally wouldn’t have, culminating in Animals when he was heard yelling the count of shows on the road. 

47 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I should probably add that the time I saw Waters doing The Wall with all the multi-projector effects was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, far outweighing anything I ever saw the post-Waters Floyd do no matter how big they made their giant mirrored ball for the Comfortably Numb finale. 

I was too young for Pulse and never close enough to see any of the Gimour solo shows, but saw the reborn Wall in Austin and Houston…no arguments that it was incredible.  He also kept his political vitriol updated and toned down the outright anger. 

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Elaborate.  Genuinely curious which part…The Wall being his inner asshole let loose or Money being the start of it?  He’s said as much that playing huge stadium shows was the beginning of disillusionment with the process and Money was certainly the hit single that propelled DSOtM to reach audiences they normally wouldn’t have, culminating in Animals when he was heard yelling the count of shows on the road. 

Right. Waters lost his father during WWII and it affected him. What an asshole. Give me a break.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve said this before: Roger Waters puts on a better concert, Pink Floyd puts on a better show.

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That seems contradictory. 

Water's assholishness prevents me from thoroughly "immersing" in his performances as much as I did in my younger years with Floyd, both with and without Waters. 

Floyd's live performances in the 70s (with Roger) and the 80s and 90s (post Roger) were all transcendent. 

I had much better seats for Water's tours with DSOTM and The Wall, but his political bullshit gets tedious. We get it - you hate Jews. 

And don't bother telling me that I don't have to go see him. I'm aware. 🤔

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw The Wall when it was released in theaters and I was definitely on either acid or shrooms.  What a weird experience.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Right. Waters lost his father during WWII and it affected him. What an asshole. Give me a break.

Got damn, is your last name Rogers or something?  You veer out of intellectual conversation with no ‘right’ answer into ball licking fanboy.  Millions lost their fathers in that war…I’ll take the words of people who we actually there, documented over decades, that the man has an enormous ego and could be a pure bred dickhead. 

Edited by Homercles

6 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I saw The Wall when it was released in theaters and I was definitely on either acid or shrooms.  What a weird experience.

It was a good thing my friend and I smoked a joint down in the trees along the Olentangy before going to see that show at the Schott. I brought another with me that I planned on firing up during the show. I figured there would be a lot of that going on. But there wasn’t. There were a lot of grey-haired old men sitting around us and we would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb.

It’s ironic because when I saw Pink Floyd at the ‘Shoe in ‘88 (I mistakenly said ‘87 earlier; I also saw their second show there in ‘94) some guy sitting next to me complained when my friends and I were passing around a joint. I just laughed and said, “I defy you to find any other seat in the stadium where the people sitting next to you aren’t smoking pot.” I was still pretty young at that time. If someone had said that to me in ‘94, I would’ve encouraged them to take a hit.

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

Got damn, is your last name Rogers or something?  You veer out of intellectual conversation with no ‘right’ answer into ball licking fanboy.  Millions lost their fathers in that war…I’ll take the words of people who we actually there, documented over decades, that the man has an enormous ego and could be a pure bred dickhead. 

I didn’t say he couldn’t be a jerk. So could Paul McCartney. So could Frank Zappa. So could Miles Davis. So could a lot of other artists who demanded perfection and wound up producing great art. I just don’t have much respect for anyone who is dismissive of Roger’s creative genius and its importance to the music of Pink Floyd. “The Wall being Roger’s inner-asshole let loose” is one of the dumber and more simplistic statements I’ve ever read. That’s not fanboy talk, that’s just the talk of someone who knows about the band, their music, and their history. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, stc said:

both roger waters and nick mason will be in austin this october. just got tickets for both shows. 

Got 4 seats for the Water’s show, but didn’t know Mason was coming too. 

Googles don’t fail me now!!!

Daughter out in west TX just sent me this pic of her doggo in the back yard w/his “toy”.  I told her she needs to rename him “Eugene”.  The Floyd is all over him.  Straight out of central casting…

87101959-CDA1-4AD6-BEE5-3C8A6DA0ABA6.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Mmmm, Rachel Fury..... wait, you said something?

Oh man, whatever happened to her?  I remember watching the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" VHS tape I got for Christmas at 14 and being just enthralled with her.  Still am, but no pics show up on the googles except that fantastic set.  Of songs.  And of tits.  Also, songs. 

the tolling of the iron bell, and all that-I suppose.  

She is 61.  So give her some credit.  I mean, let's be honest.  She was a smokeshow.  But it was the dress, and the voice, and the hip swaying that took her up to 11.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

the tolling of the iron bell, and all that-I suppose.  

She is 61.  So give her some credit.  I mean, let's be honest.  She was a smokeshow.  But it was the dress, and the voice, and the hip swaying that took her up to 11.  

Absolutely.  No argument whatsoever from this vato.  Her movements alone were worth the price of admission.

And no one, I mean not one fucking soul, has ever rocked the little black dress better than RF.

a3EvwV8_700bwp.webp

Edited by Cajun

Watched that full show again early during Covid-19.  And really hadn't though much about her since I was a teenager.  And now, in middle-age, I was thinking, "Gosh, she's so beautiful and I love the synchronicity between her moves and the Floyd beat.  But she had no ass and that's all I think about now."  Anyway, it got me watching a half dozen other Floyd/Gilmour concerts and watching the changes of his backup lines over the years.  And if you like ass, and a beautiful voice...skip to 2:37, woman in the middle.  Wow.  

But I'll always remember Fury's cute little point to the crowd with her fancy glove as she takes a few steps back from the mic after the chorus.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Watched that full show again early during Covid-19.  And really hadn't though much about her since I was a teenager.  And now, in middle-age, I was thinking, "Gosh, she's so beautiful and I love the synchronicity between her moves and the Floyd beat.  But she had no ass and that's all I think about now."  Anyway, it got me watching a half dozen other Floyd/Gilmour concerts and watching the changes of his backup lines over the years.  And if you like ass, and a beautiful voice...skip to 2:37, woman in the middle.  Wow.  

But I'll always remember Fury's cute little point to the crowd with her fancy glove as she takes a few steps back from the mic after the chorus.

Saw her live at MSG in 2016 (same tour).  She had, by far, the best vocals of the 3 up there that day, but if I'm going with the best it's girl number 2 (2:31 mark) from the Pulse tour.  Pure fucking feeling and soul.  And, yes, I'm sure there's some junk in that trunk eventhough it's covered up...

• 2 weeks later...

Pink Floyd are to release their first new music since 1994’s The Division Bell tomorrow (April 8).

From midnight tonight, “Hey Hey Rise Up”, a song in support of the people of Ukraine, will be available to listen to here.

It marks the first completely new collaboration between David Gilmour and Nick Mason under the Floyd name for 28 years.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/pink-floyd-to-release-first-new-music-for-28-years-137865/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

that awkward moment when you realize your batshit idiocy brings Germany, Japan, Italy, Spain, and Pink Floyd back together to combat evil.  

I'm starting to think this Putin guy might not be the stable genius I was promised.  

Be on the lookout for the full pink moon tomorrow night.

https://www.livescience.com/full-moon-april-2022

April's full moon, or Pink Moon — named for the brilliant-pink flowers blooming in early spring — will bathe the sky in bright moonlight this Saturday (April 16).

The Pink Moon will be fully illuminated for just a moment, at 2:55 p.m. EDT (18:55 GMT), but it will appear full for three days in total: From Friday morning (April 15) through early Monday (April 18), according to NASA. 

In other words, this will be "a full moon weekend," Gordon Johnston, a program executive in the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington, D.C., wrote in the NASA statement. 

On 4/15/2022 at 6:56 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Be on the lookout for the full pink moon tomorrow night.

https://www.livescience.com/full-moon-april-2022

Got a good look at it when I ran to the store a little bit ago. It’s big and bright and low to the horizon. Too much light pollution to try to take a pic, not that think I could get a decent one with my phone anyway. But I would’ve like to have tried. Oh well. But go out and look to the east of you get a chance.