Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

It's got its moments.  Clapton pretty much saves it.  Funny, was reading in Nicholas Schaffner's "Saucerful of Secrets" book (great read, worth searching out), Roger and his wife were hanging out with Eric and Patti, Eric was pretty drunk and Roger asked if he would play on the Pros and Cons tour, since he had played on the album.  Eric said sure, then the next day when he sobered up, basically said "fuck, what did I do?".  But being a man of his word, he committed to the first leg of the tour.  Some really good bootlegs out there where he is just on fire.

I don't know why but I thought you were an old guy like me @South Austin. Maybe you are and just got a late start on concert going. Anyway, I saw PF in Arrowhead, KC during that same tour. Great show. They had mirrors all around the top of the stadium and started bouncing lasers off of them at the start of Momentary Lapse of Reason. Lasting memory.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I don't know why but I thought you were an old guy like me @South Austin. Maybe you are and just got a late start on concert going. Anyway, I saw PF in Arrowhead, KC during that same tour. Great show. They had mirrors all around the top of the stadium and started bouncing lasers off of them at the start of Momentary Lapse of Reason. Lasting memory.

Not sure it makes any difference in your view of my age, but it did take me longer than most kids to see my first concert, and when I saw Pink Floyd I was 19 and had just finished up my sophomore year in college.

Kzy1R2Ub2cjLO08U36WakFUMeXqLefvctQBXlP-7

8grPycsap2odob5EBvvDErglPsefIjN8s-wPJPki

I have seen pink Floyd five times and Roger Waters once. Roger was during his Radio KAOS tour. Pink Floyd is one of the few groups I have seen that can replicate their studio sound almost to perfection. There were times if not for the audience, you'd swear you were just listing to the album. Truly gifted at their craft. 

The first time I saw them I was 16. I can remember I was sitting next to this large group of biker dudes that had me a little intimidated. At one point in the show, a few joints were being passed down the row and this dude next to me that looked like Billy Gibbons nudged me on the shoulder and handed me a joint. At that time I had never smoked so I just passed it on to my buddy and on down the line. I think Billy could tell I was a little out of my element. He smiled and said something to me along the lines of "Good for you man, I don't smoke the stuff either". From then on Billy and I exchanging pleasantries between songs and after the show was over I remember he shook my hand and something like "keep rocking dude". 

The fourth show was the best concert I believe I have ever seen. It was at Texas Stadium before they tore it down. We were sitting about midway on the floor which positioned us right under the hole in the roof. Some time during the show it started to lightly rain and the lasers would seem to bounce off the rain drops. They had this one blue laser that went across in a flat line and then slowly went up and down like a wave. With all the rain glittering through the laser it looked like ocean waves crashing. We sat there under the ocean looking up in rain, watching the waves crash over the top of us. I bet I've seen close to 40-50 shows in my life and that night was the best night I can remember. Good times. 

• Like 2

Wow. Never seeen Pink Floyd in concert - didn’t even know of them until the mid 90s. I remember on if my civil engineering TAs saying I don’t have time for you losers to fuck up the lab experiment. I’ll do it, and have you dumbasses watch. I have a Pink Floyd concert in Houston to go to tonight. That was probably in 93-94.

David Gilmour came to LA in 2016. I didn’t think I could justify the $600 ticket price (secondary market) so I stayed home. But damn... that was probably the last time to see that guy perform.

Did I mention that my son is named after David Gilmour? I wanted to name him Gilmour, but my wife said no way in hell. Neither of us liked David, so we named him Jonathan (DG’s middle name).

Since Pink Floyd will probably never go back on tour, I’m doing th next best thing - going to the Australian Pink Floyd show in September. I know it’s not the same, but oh well. 

Edited by Superhero

17 hours ago, nivek3 said:

I have seen pink Floyd five times and Roger Waters once.

I've seen Floyd three times and Roger Waters twice.

I saw the In The Flesh Tour, (Animals) at Jeppesen Stadium in 1977. Only show I saw that had Floyd with Waters. Outdoor venue and it rained.

I saw the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at The Dome in 1987.

I saw the Division Bell Tour at Rice Stadium in 1994. Outdoor venue and it was freaking storming. God put on a better light show than Floyd that night if you can believe it.

I saw Waters doing DSOTM at Cynthia Woods Mitchell in 2008.

And lastly, I saw Waters doing The Wall in 2010 at the Toyota Center.

Wiki articles with details and set lists at the links.

Probably my favorite band of all time.

• Like 1

I ran across this a few months ago, this guy does a fantastic job of mixing the actual album with the demos, it's a different look at the Wall.  I listen to it every few weeks, just play it in the background while I'm working.  There are some others that use music from the film or the Final Cut, but those just don't fit in as well. This one works pretty darn well.  

On 4/1/2018 at 8:25 AM, DoobieWah said:

I've seen Floyd three times and Roger Waters twice.

I saw the In The Flesh Tour, (Animals) at Jeppesen Stadium in 1977. Only show I saw that had Floyd with Waters. Outdoor venue and it rained.

I saw the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at The Dome in 1987.

I saw the Division Bell Tour at Rice Stadium in 1994. Outdoor venue and it was freaking storming. God put on a better light show than Floyd that night if you can believe it.

I saw Waters doing DSOTM at Cynthia Woods Mitchell in 2008.

And lastly, I saw Waters doing The Wall in 2010 at the Toyota Center.

Wiki articles with details and set lists at the links.

Probably my favorite band of all time.

Would have loved to have seen that 1977 tour.  I didn't even get into them until the Wall came out, then went back and bought everything (my mom actually had Ummagumma on vinyl, I tried to listen to that when I was about 8 years old, and my mind could not comprehend that at all...).

Seen Floyd twice ('87 at the Erwin Center, and '94 in San Antonio), Roger 4 times - '85 at the Erwin Center (on my 19th birthday, best concert ever, went down to the Union bowling alley and had a coupla beers since I could legally drink again, then floor seats for that surround sound experience, still remember the Erwin Center shaking to the bass from Welcome to the Machine... still have my "Reg or is it Rog" poster, the tour baseball jersey I got is long gone, sad...), '87 for KAOS at the Erwin Center (took my wife-girlfriend at the time, said it was the best concert she's ever seen), then 2010 in Dallas and 2012 back here in Austin.  Say what you will about Roger's rants and politics, he puts on a spectacle few can touch.  Always has.  

• Like 1

Dave did an incredible job on Fat Old Sun. I think his older voice is more suited to the song now than when it was recorded. An interesting note, Gilmour & Wright were the only two musicians on this Floyd song. Written by Gilmour he played bass, drums and guitar, while Rick contributed on organs.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Roger: "I've just been working with Po on a...there's gonna... there's a reissue of Animals, I think, a 5.1 mix of Animals. And so, I've been working with..or, well, I haven't been working, I think he's been working. But he came up with some new photographs of Battersea Power Station as it is now to use as a CD cover for the new 5.1 mix. Beautiful."

Hopefully this gets the proper treatment, include the demos and a live soundboard recording (which do exist, no matter how much they deny it...)

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone else has been following this, they had their first show last night:

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has put together a band called “Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets” that will play four intimate shows in London next month. The group is expected to focus on material from Pink Floyd’s first two albums.

Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets will find the drummer joined by Guy Pratt, Gary Kemp, Lee Harris and Dom Beken. “This is a unique opportunity to experience Pink Floyd’s celebrated and significant early body of work played live including songs from albums The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets,” the new group said in a statement. “Very few bands are as culturally important as Pink Floyd. They are one of the best selling music artists of all time and Nick Mason is a founder and the only constant member of the band performing on all of their albums as well as all of their live shows. This will be Nick Mason’s first live musical outing since Pink Floyd played at the 2005 Live 8 concert in London.”

Video starting to come out, pretty damn good...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

"Momentary Lapse of Reason" is my favorite album by PF.  I've had the same CD for over 30 years and it is in my car's CD deck as I type this.  In particular "Dogs of War" is very apropos for current times.

But paradoxically so is "On the Turning Away." One of my favorite Floyd songs, even though Waters probably would have hated how hopeful it was. "It's a nice melody David, but how about we sing it sarcastically? Or maybe put in an extra verse where the narrator dies while being held captive as a political prisoner?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets, the Pink Floyd drummer’s group that performs pre-Dark Side of the Moon material, will be heading to North America for the first time in 2019. The band includes Spandau Ballet’s Gary Kemp, Lee Harris of Ian Dury & the Blockheads, composer Dom Beken (who frequently collaborated with Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright) and Guy Pratt, who became Floyd’s bass player in the post-Waters era. You can check out video of the group from September, and their setlist from London back in May, below.

North American dates include a NYC show at Beacon Theatre on April 18. Tickets go on sale Monday, November 5 at 10 AM, with presales starting Friday (11/2) at 9 AM. All dates are listed below.

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets – 2019 North American tour dates
12/03/2019 QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE, VANCOUVER
13/03/2019 THE PARAMOUNT, SEATTLE
15/03/2019 THE MASONIC, SAN FRANCISCO
16/03/2019 THE WILTERN, LOS ANGELES
19/03/2019 COMERICA THEATRE, PHOENIX
21/03/2019 PARAMOUNT THEATRE, DENVER
24/03/2019 PAVILION AT TOYOTA MUSIC FACTORY, DALLAS
25/03/2019 JONES HALL, HOUSTON
27/03/2019 THE FILLMORE AT THE JACKIE GLEESON, MIAMI BEACH
29/03/2019 TABERNACLE, ATLANTA
31/03/2019 STIFEL THEATRE, ST LOUIS
01/04/2019 RIVERSIDE THEATER, MILWAUKEE
03/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, MINNEAPOLIS
04/04/2019 CHICAGO THEATRE, CHICAGO
05/04/2019 THE OLD NATIONAL THEATRE, INDIANAPOLIS
07/04/2019 PALACE THEATRE, COLUMBUS
08/04/2019 CIVIC CENTER, AKRON
09/04/2019 THE FILLMORE, DETROIT
11/04/2019 SHEA’S PERFORMING ARTS CENTER, BUFFALO
12/04/2019 OAKDALE THEATRE, WALLINGFORD
13/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, BOSTON
15/04/2019 PLACE DES ARTS, MONTREAL
16/04/2019 SONY CENTRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS, TORONTO
18/04/2019 BEACON THEATRE, NEW YORK
22/04/2019 DAR CONSTITUTION HALL, WASHINGTON

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On December 25, 2018 at 1:31 AM, VABuckeye said:

I went to see The Wall the night it opened in theaters with a buddy.  We both dropped acid.  That was one serious whoa night. 

If you haven't dropped acid and watched The Wall, your life is incomplete. 

When I was in school, a friend got one of those plasma balls. Like this:

768px-Plasma_globe_60th.jpg

It had an audio setting where it would read various frequencies received via its microphone and that would dictate how all those beams emanated from that little central orb. We dropped acid and, once we were peaking, played Dark Side of the Moon.

That was mind blowing. It gave us a custom animation for every song. And they were diverse, unique for each song. It actually gave me a new appreciation for the depth of composition on that album. Talk about visualizing the music. At one point the lightning bolts seemed to be marching like the Nazi hammers in The Wall. 

It was amazing. And it wasn't just hallucinatory. We did it again some time later and the output from the plasma ball was exactly the same. Still fun but a movie we'd already seen. 

• Like 1

I heard that.  The Wall at Staples Center a few years back was probably the best concert I've ever been to.

The comment that he's open to a Floyd reunion is meaningless.  Gilmour isn't likely to ever consider it.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1