Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sterns is such a badass.  I just watched a few clips from his freshman year and he instincts are elite.  Hopefully he is completely healthy this year because I would love to see him carry the DBU tradition into the NFL.

It’s also awesome because this defense is perfect for him. He gets to stay deep, watch plays develop and break on the ball. This could be an absolutely huge year for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s also awesome because this defense is perfect for him. He gets to stay deep, watch plays develop and break on the ball. This could be an absolutely huge year for him. 

Is Sterns fast enough for the NFL??

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Is Sterns fast enough for the NFL??

He ran in the  4.5s in HS with a 37” vertical and a 4 flat shuttle, which are both really good, so his measurables are plenty good for the NFL, but he’s not going to kill it at the combine or anything. 

He’s going to need really good production to get drafted high. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He ran in the  4.5s in HS with a 37” vertical and a 4 flat shuttle, which are both really good, so his measurables are plenty good for the NFL, but he’s not going to kill it at the combine or anything. 

Thanks... just remember Caden with a few poor angles in the past where he displayed limited speed to recover.  Plus having several injuries for Sterns in his short UT career, has caused me to wonder if he has recovered his 4.5 speed.

The long TD run by Kyler at the Cotton Bowl in 2018 made Caden look pedestrian...

Don't get me wrong -- Love Caden!!

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks... just remember Caden with a few poor angles in the past where he displayed limited speed to recover.  Plus having several injuries for Sterns in his short UT career, has caused me to wonder if he has recovered his 4.5 speed.

The long TD run by Kyler at the Cotton Bowl in 2018 made Caden look pedestrian...

Don't get me wrong -- Love Caden!!

Long speed certainly isn’t his strong suit, I but Kyler runs a sub 4.4, so a guy who runs in the 4.5s is going to struggle to chase him down in the open field. He was never really healthy last year, so I don’t think you can judge a whole lot off that. 

• Like 3

He's 6'1 and around 205- 210 this year.  He's fast enough for the NFL but he's not a 4.4 guy.  I think he'll run in the 4.5s.  I bet his shuttle speed will be pretty good.  He's very good in coverage (coaches wanted to start him at CB when he was recruited) and he's quick to make a play on the ball.  Brandon Jones went in the 3rd.  I think Sterns will run a similar time and he'll have much better tape and is bigger than Brandon.  I think a 2nd-3rd round is probably where he'll end up.  

• Like 1

Brandon is a freak athlete. Very fast and strong, poor coverage instincts, and good at playing the run.
Caden is a good athlete with great coverage instincts and could be better playing the run.

Unless Caden has amazing production this year or the next, I have a hard time seeing him go higher than Brandon.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, Burt Macklin said:

He’s going to need really good production to get drafted high. 

Sterns has good instincts & ball skills.  I believe his athleticism will be good enough.  I am wrong a lot though.😡

49 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Brandon is a freak athlete. Very fast and strong, poor coverage instincts, and good at playing the run.
Caden is a good athlete with great coverage instincts and could be better playing the run.

Unless Caden has amazing production this year or the next, I have a hard time seeing him go higher than Brandon.

Caden is also 6’1 and with length.  He’s plenty good in the run game.  Watch some of his highlights.  I if he can run a 4.5 in the combine, i think he goes earlier than Brandon.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Anyone saying Sterns can’t make it in the NFL. I loved Brandon Jones. Jones cannot cover like Sterns. If he stays healthy he’s our best defender. He certainly can and will play pro ball. 

Good news, this is the first year under Herman where we have capable backups when our injury prone starters leave the game. No excuses for players or coaches.

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Anyone saying Sterns can’t make it in the NFL. I loved Brandon Jones. Jones cannot cover like Sterns. If he stays healthy he’s our best defender. He certainly can and will play pro ball. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting this. Just that the possibility exists that he might not test well enough to be a 1st rounder. I don't think anybody views him as a guy that lasts past the 2nd day of the draft whenever he decides to leave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the following Scipio write-up  @satyanash

(100% agree that Caden needs to up his game this year!)

Here's the section that pertains to Caden...

Scipio Tex: My 2020 Gotta Prove Its

There are some athletes that Texas needs to step up for the 2020 season to maximize. Their challenges range from inexperience to fit to health to focus and mindset. If some of the players on this list surprise you, sometimes you have to square hype with reality.

Caden Sterns

Surprised? Don't be. His 2020 preseason All Big 12 selection was won by freshman reputation and name recognition, not by his sophomore play. Sterns has demonstrated great lateral range, instincts, and the ability to play the ball in the air, which is precisely what we want from an Ash center fielder, but he needs to tackle better, be more assertive, and get tougher mentally. There are more proven commodities at safety in the Big 12 and this is a Gotta Prove It year, no matter what the media opine. Prior coaching certainly didn't help his cause and we'll see if his new on-field role solves some of his issues. The opportunity suits him perfectly. Time to deliver.