Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

If you play on a perennially good team in high school which goes deep into the playoffs, your rating is increased exponentially. If you re a great player on a middling team, you go to TCU, get coaching, and beat the piss out of Texas 3 out of 4 years.

Patterson evaluates. Our coaches subscribe to recruiting services. I obviously don't watch every team as closely as I watch Texas, but IMO our talent is so overrated it's not even funny. Apparently the NFL doesn't think much of us either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornOrange1955 said:

If you play on a perennially good team in high school which goes deep into the playoffs, your rating is increased exponentially. If you re a great player on a middling team, you go to TCU, get coaching, and beat the piss out of Texas 3 out of 4 years.

Patterson evaluates. Our coaches subscribe to recruiting services. I obviously don't watch every team as closely as I watch Texas, but IMO our talent is so overrated it's not even funny. Apparently the NFL doesn't think much of us either.

This. How is it that teams that consistently average 15-25 recruiting class rankings make our top 5 classes look like ass? MOTHER FUCKING COACHING. I’m looking at you CDC. 

2 hours ago, BornOrange1955 said:

Not saying you are wrong, but about half of the cases in which we recognize and commit an underrated prospect people on this site lose their shit because it won't help our class ranking.

I'm hopeful that the early returns we are seeing with Ash continue and we can actually have a well developed defense in a season or two. The offense, on the other hand, is going to totally depend on Bijan being healthy and actually getting carries and our transition to a new starting QB not being a shit show. Let's just say I'm less optimistic about the offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I was more thinking of 5 star or borderline 5 star guys we've landed.  Diggs and Duvernay are good points.  I didn't realize Duvernay was so highly rated.  Sam and Ossai are definite hits but weren't in that top tier that we seem to be striking out on developing.

Ossai was the best pass rusher in Texas in his class.  He was a top 20 prospect in the state top 200 national prospect.  He was definitely a blue chip that was heavily recruited by Texas, aggy, Bama, LSU, Oregon, ou, etc.  

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Ossai was the best pass rusher in Texas in his class.  He was a top 20 prospect in the state top 200 national prospect.  He was definitely a blue chip that was heavily recruited by Texas, aggy, Bama, LSU, Oregon, ou, etc.  

did you read his post?  he’s not talking about top 200 recruits. 

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

No doubt.  Ossai will be the best player Herman produced at Texas.  Where does Ossai rank on players Herman has landed?  I know ranking across different classes gets into a very subjective area, but even within his on class the rankings says he was the 14th best player in that class.  My point being we are missing a ton of development on those top 100 guys.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 8:41 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

Who is the last highly rated guy we landed that lived up to their rating?  Malcom Brown?  I guess you can make a case for Brandon Jones.

have we had anyone since Alex Okafor who was  ranked as highly in HS as he was (5*, US Army All American, #1 DE) and who then did as well at Texas (Two Time 1st team All Big XII, First Team All American, Big XII DPOY, 4.5 sacks in Alamo Bowl, etc)? because if not then he might be the answer. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

have we had anyone since Alex Okafor who was  ranked as highly in HS as he was (5*, US Army All American, #1 DE) and who then did as well at Texas (Two Time 1st team All Big XII, First Team All American, Big XII DPOY, 4.5 sacks in Alamo Bowl, etc)? because if not then he might be the answer. 

Jeffcoat was a 5* Army AA, #1 DE prospect who ended up winning the Ted Hendricks Award, Big 12 DPOY, and Consensus AA status.

(he then went undrafted and did nothing in the NFL but let's not talk about that)

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Jeffcoat was a 5* Army AA, #1 DE prospect who ended up winning the Ted Hendricks Award, Big 12 DPOY, and Consensus AA status.

(he then went undrafted and did nothing in the NFL but let's not talk about that)

yeah man, that's one of quite a few guys who aren't remembered nearly as well/as fondly as they should be because our teams/program were trash. shame.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Caden put his entire repertoire of "just don't care" on display today.

But I'll bet he kills it on Instagram.

He wasn’t very good. I also saw a play in which Overshown was barely jogging towards the ball carrier, who was not far away from him at all. 

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Got his best work done over the summer.   Phoned it in for the football season.   

Just another entitled piece of a toxic country club culture.  The next coach is going to have his hands full blowing the shit up.   

FWIW I don’t think the culture is rotten like it has been in the past. I think our main problem is terrible game day coaching from Herman. Many other problems exist but once you remove the worst offender things can improve much more easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The entire culture is rotten like it has been in the past.

They are entitled, soft, and focused on things other than football.

Furthermore, there's an administration perfectly content with being Cal-Berkely East Campus.

I don’t know that I buy that. Kellen Mond got a bunch of criticism over the summer for being super vocal and active about social justice shit, to the point where he was leading small rallies and meetings on A&Ms campus. He’s gone on to have the best season of his life by far. I don’t know why some of our guys can’t balance it. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t know that I buy that. Kellen Mond got a bunch of criticism over the summer for being super vocal and active about social justice shit, to the point where he was leading small rallies and meetings on A&Ms campus. He’s gone on to have the best season of his life by far. I don’t know why some of our guys can’t balance it. 

DMo was also a big part of all that, plus all of his other distractions. He's the breakout player of the season on our team.

On 11/10/2020 at 7:54 AM, Droopy said:

This. How is it that teams that consistently average 15-25 recruiting class rankings make our top 5 classes look like ass? MOTHER FUCKING COACHING. I’m looking at you CDC. 

TCU rarely cracks the top 20 in recruiting rankings. An average ranking of 25 is being very generous. 

25 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

TCU rarely cracks the top 20 in recruiting rankings. An average ranking of 25 is being very generous. 

Yet, their coach finds a way to motivate his team to knock our primadonnas on their ass. Fucking so tired of our floundering. Mack, we’re sorry you fucking made us forc your shitty old hand but let us go from your shitty curse. Fuck! Can we please hire someone that will take this talent to the next fucking level?!?!?

7 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Yet, their coach finds a way to motivate his team to knock our primadonnas on their ass. Fucking so tired of our floundering. Mack, we’re sorry you fucking made us forc your shitty old hand but let us go from your shitty curse. Fuck! Can we please hire someone that will take this talent to the next fucking level?!?!?

Mack has the next 5 years (or whenever he hangs it up) made in the shade. Win 7-8 games a year at a basketball school and be treated like a king. He probably would have regretted leaving Chapel Hill in the first place if he didn't win a title at Texas. 

Don't wanna be a dick and quote myself from 2 years ago in this thread (p. 8).  People that quote themselves to say "see, lookie what I said, I'm so smart!" are dicks.

Ah, what the hell, I'll be a dick.

(of course got 2-3 "yeah right, sure, dumbass" kind of reactions, but that's understandable).
Touchè!

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Don't wanna be a dick and quote myself from 2 years ago in this thread (p. 8).  People that quote themselves to say "see, lookie what I said, I'm so smart!" are dicks.

Ah, what the hell, I'll be a dick.

(of course got 2-3 "yeah right, sure, dumbass" kind of reactions, but that's understandable).
Touchè!

This is why you’re a phd and the rest of us are just lawdogs and nurses.

This dude wouldnt crack the 2 deep at texas state. Bigger mouth and twitter fingers than play ability.  I've never seen anyone go from freshman year bad ass to junior year dildo march pussy so fast.  His field of fucks is more barren than the okra fields in intrasteller  dude either sucks shit, or just doesnt like football and going through the motions to get his free degree in art history after 1865

Sterns hasn’t played to his 5 star status.  He’s also not completely terrible.  He’s just okay.  He’s a great representative and a model student athlete and teammate.  It’s on the coaches for not maximizing his ability or putting him out there if there are players that are better.  

For perspective, he was a top 5 recruit and a top 3 safety nationally that all the elite teams recruited and wanted.  He came in to Texas and balled out.  And just like most other players, he has regressed under this coaching staff.  I have no doubt he would be a top draft pick at LSU, tOSU or Bama.  Just like Holton Hill, Brandon Jones, and Kris Boyd... his talent will be maximized either in the NFL or coaches that know how to develop his skill set.

• Hook 'Em 1

Caden Sterns personifies our challenges recruiting right now. He came to Texas as a five star player, looked like a first round draft pick after his freshman year, and has regressed in years two and three.

We fucking SUUUUUUUCK at developing talent and everyone knows it. Why would any stud recruit want to come here?

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

his talent will be maximized

not sure he has much talent outside of maybe a little ball-hawking ability that has regressed.  he’s not that big, not that strong, he’s slow, not a good tackler, not NFL athletic.  brandon jones is an NFL athlete.  sterns could make a run at arena football if he’s passionate enough about the game. 

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

They’re playing mostly shitty teams over there. Their relative success isn’t because of Mond. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

They’re playing mostly shitty teams over there. Their relative success isn’t because of Mond. 

By his standards I mean, he’s gone from shitty to average. Players at Bama, tOSU, Clemson also led on campus marches, it didn’t seem to ruin their season. Ossai was very active in all the same things Sterns was, it didn’t hurt his play this year. Sterns just sucks and it’s dumb to blame it on his social justice quest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Someone needs to put together a movie of his missed tackles

I was thinking the same thing (but am way too lazy to do it). He's never shown elite speed, but he now goes out of his way to avoid contact and no longer shows any instincts when it comes to coverage. Really wonder what's going on with him.

This dude wouldnt crack the 2 deep at texas state. Bigger mouth and twitter fingers than play ability.  I've never seen anyone go from freshman year bad ass to junior year dildo march pussy so fast.  His field of fucks is more barren than the okra fields in intrasteller  dude either sucks shit, or just doesnt like football and going through the motions to get his free degree in art history after 1865

Sure he would, they have better coaching.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baconboy said:

I was thinking the same thing (but am way too lazy to do it). He's never shown elite speed, but he now goes out of his way to avoid contact and no longer shows any instincts when it comes to coverage. Really wonder what's going on with him.

Sterns was our leading tackler on Friday

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss