Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

FWIW I don’t think the culture is rotten like it has been in the past. I think our main problem is terrible game day coaching from Herman. Many other problems exist but once you remove the worst offender things can improve much more easily.
No, the cutlure is just as much a problem as coaching. We seem to be drilling in their heads only a tiny percentage will make millions in the NFL (not untrue) while their association with UT will take care of them quite nicely in much safer occupations.

Bama, tOSU and other programs look like they're auditioning for the NFL every snap..we look like we're going through the motions hoping the opponent will roll over and hand us the win because "We're Texas"...with supposedly superior athletes and shit..

I'm all for being critical of the coaching -- but injuries and Caden also share for the poor results.  Poor effort on several plays this year is Caden's fault.
Agreed, but when it comes to motivation and injuries, it can still be hard to separate the player's responsibility from the coach's responsibility. A good coach motivates players to do their best. Sometimes injuries just happen, but sometimes injuries are connected to S&C and the way practice is run. Caden is certainly responsible, but if we were to look "under the hood," as they say, we would probably find a lot of coaching issues as well.

13 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Definitely a better player than Sterns. He made plays all day. Dropped what should have been a second INT. 

Psssh. Needs to work on his tattoo and Instagram game. You don't just become a great player at Texas by playing football.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the players have a hand in CFB not being "pretty."

I was thrilled when we signed the guy and was ecstatic with his early success. The longer he was on the team, the less impressed I was. Not blaming it all on Sterns, but he has to bear responsibility for the part he could control. Especially when you're a captain, effort and focus should transcend injury to yield leadership. Maybe it was apparent to his teammates, but not to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, BornOrange1955 said:

If you play on a perennially good team in high school which goes deep into the playoffs, your rating is increased exponentially. If you re a great player on a middling team, you go to TCU, get coaching, and beat the piss out of Texas 3 out of 4 years.

Patterson evaluates. Our coaches subscribe to recruiting services. I obviously don't watch every team as closely as I watch Texas, but IMO our talent is so overrated it's not even funny. Apparently the NFL doesn't think much of us either.

There's truth to this.

But there's another aspect to it that is pretty plain, but I have only heard Scipio refer to it.  Those 4 and 5 stars are basically prima donnas.  Keeping them engaged, motivated, and listening to their coaches is a coaching talent unto itself, particularly once D1 football and roster competition from equal or even lesser talents sets in. 

Coaching a "lunch pail" 3-star with a chip on his shoulder, who is also a "quarterback on the field," is a different kettle of fish and less challenging.

There is I think valid speculation that, as good a coach as Gary Patterson is, he might not be any good with a roster full of entitled blue chips.  And it's always a question when a coach comes from a G5 or lesser program.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's truth to this.     But there's another aspect to it that is pretty plain, but I have only heard Scipio refer to it.  Those 4 and 5 stars are basically prima donnas.... Coaching a "lunch pail" 3-star with a chip on his shoulder, who is also a "quarterback on the field," is a different kettle of fish and less challenging.

There is I think valid speculation that, as good a coach as Gary Patterson is, he might not be any good with a roster full of entitled blue chips.  And it's always a question when a coach comes from a G5 or lesser program.

Seems like Matt Campbell also subscribes to recruiting players that are more coachable.

Read some article that mentions that when recruits visit at Iowa State they are assigned a current player to help with the visit.  After the visit, the current player is asked to submit feedback on whether that recruit would be a good teammate.  If report is bad, then Campbell no longer recruits the guy.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Another drama queen purged from the program.

Net positive.

buh bye

Sterns sure seemed to project a lot of negativity during 2020...

Hope he can find a way to be happier, and does well in the NFL.  🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan

56 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sterns sure seemed to project a lot of negativity during 2020...

Hope he can find a way to be happier, and does well in the NFL.  🤘 

If his being happier is linked to doing well in the NFL then I don't think he's gonna like the result.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's truth to this.

Coaching a "lunch pail" 3-star with a chip on his shoulder, who is also a "quarterback on the field," is a different kettle of fish and less challenging.

Surly motto worthy.

I think I'll try and use "a different kettle of fish" at least once each day.

I am glad this dude is gone. After his Freshman year, the switch went off on him somehow. He was coasting, hiding behind his teammates, late to every tackle and tried to pad stats by following other tacklers. His play wasn't worthy of a 3 star ranking, let alone a 5 star. He was everything Joseph Ossai wasn't. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

If his being happier is linked to doing well in the NFL then I don't think he's gonna like the result.

Caden's focus on football has been off for awhile, but supposedly he is extremely hard on himself and scours over his mistakes on film for hours.

If he is healthy, and gets his head right, and gets the right NFL coach he could last for 5-7 years in the pros on the right team.  On the other hand, if he goes to the wrong team he may not last long and at best bounce from one practice squad to the next for a couple years.

9 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Judging from recency, I don't like his chances.

That's a tough league to succeed in coming in on a losing streak like his.

Having both LJH & D'Onta Foreman still in the NFL, gives me confidence that Caden will likely make a roster/practice squad for 2021...   

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I am glad this dude is gone. After his Freshman year, the switch went off on him somehow. He was coasting, hiding behind his teammates, late to every tackle and tried to pad stats by following other tacklers. His play wasn't worthy of a 3 star ranking, let alone a 5 star. He was everything Joseph Ossai wasn't. 

Word on the streets is that his freshman year was his last time not being forced to play through injuries

16 minutes ago, pacman said:

Caden will have a long career if he can actually receive some good coaching and better weight training.

He will have to work on his mentality on his own though, and that will be what determines the length of his career.

Caden has to accept part of the responsibility for his football performance regression from his freshman year to his 2020 season.  During 2020, Caden had lots of mental mistakes and even showed a lack of interest in making physical tackles.  His younger back-up that replaced him went he quit playing,  performed better than Caden did.

I think back to some of Caden's freshman interviews vs some of his 2020 interviews and it's obvious that he has lost some of his joy playing football.  Sure some of that is due to social issues and Mensa being such a dick, but Caden needs to get his football act together quickly or his chances for an NFL career will be over.

NFL stands for "Not For Long" -- Get it together Caden and good luck !!!

Hook 'em🤘 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why would he be forced to play through injuries? It's not like he was helping the team.

It was widely reported that he wanted to redshirt because of injuries in 2019 but Herman pressured him not to. I realize the average user of this board hates Sterns for both football and non-football reasons but acting like he was a net negative on the field overall is a laughable level of revisionist history.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not gonna say fuck Caden or anything, and I was happy when he came here, but the truth is he was an injury prone dude who's slow as shit and tackles very poorly. Maybe someone in the NFL can teach him to tackle properly and he can finally heal up. I wish him the best, and I wish he had a better experience here, but that's on him and Tom fucking Herman. They only have each other to blame. 

Just now, Dijon Robinson said:

It was widely reported that he wanted to redshirt because of injuries in 2019 but Herman pressured him not to. I realize the average user of this board hates Sterns for both football and non-football reasons but acting like he was a net negative on the field overall is a laughable level of revisionist history.

Nobody hated him when he was playing well. Nobody hated Ossai because he left everything on the field. You're defending a dude who mailed it in after his freshman year. He spent more time hyping himself up on social media, arguing with Sloneal and believing in the Texas social media hype machine. If all you want from the top safety prospect to be a net positive, I don't know what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

If all you want from the top safety prospect to be a net positive, I don't know what to tell you.

Right. Wasn't he a top 10 recruit in the nation? Usually you'd like to get more than a season and a half of good play out of guys like that. 

5 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Nobody hated him when he was playing well. Nobody hated Ossai because he left everything on the field. You're defending a dude who mailed it in after his freshman year. He spent more time hyping himself up on social media, arguing with Sloneal and believing in the Texas social media hype machine. If all you want from the top safety prospect to be a net positive, I don't know what to tell you.

Are you planning on acknowledging at some point that he was injured for most of 2019, which was my main objection to your post? Besides, you're moving the goalposts. My response was that it's asinine to assume no one would have stopped him from redshirting when he wanted to, hence my comment that he wasn't playing that badly.

Edited by Dijon Robinson

1 minute ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Are you planning on acknowledging at some point that he was injured for most of 2019, which was my main objection to your post? Besides, you're moving the goalposts. My response was that it's asinine to assume no one would have stopped him from redshirting when he wanted to, hence my comment that he wasn't playing that badly.

Yes, he was injured and he had the entire off-season to heal. He was posting videos of how hard he had been training and that wolf was lurking in the background or some bullshit like thay. Then the season started and we know how that turned out. Our fanbase has this unhealthy obsession with certain players so that they can never do anything wrong. It's always the coaches fault or something else. I don't get it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ShowMeALoss said:

Our fanbase has this unhealthy obsession with certain players so that they can never do anything wrong. It's always the coaches fault or something else. I don't get it. 

Hey, drag him for his 2020 season if you want. I'll admit he was underwhelming but not terrible - but I also don't feel strongly enough about that to defend Sterns further.

I'll mention again that my primary objection to your first post was that Sterns was injured for most of 2019 - which you agree with - and that he tried to redshirt. Glad we got it all sussed out.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right. Wasn't he a top 10 recruit in the nation? Usually you'd like to get more than a season and a half of good play out of guys like that. 

He was the #1 ranked recruit at his position and a consensus 5*. Him, BJ, Green, Overshawn, and Jamison were going to be the best DB class ever! 

5 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Hey, drag him for his 2020 season if you want. I'll admit he was underwhelming but not terrible - but I also don't feel strongly enough about that to defend Sterns further.

I'll mention again that my primary objection to your first post was that Sterns was injured for most of 2019 - which you agree with - and that he tried to redshirt. Glad we got it all sussed out.

We will have to agree to disagree. I was a big fan of him since he flipped from LSU to us but he let me down big time. Now if you look at his Twitter, he is liking posts by his former teammates transferring to other schools or BC taking the USC job but no liking of the new Texas staff or anything Texas related. As a Texas alum, he is not easy to root for.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wow, crazy to remember that Caden was a 5 Star recruit...

Would have expected him to be one of the best safeties in the B12 during the 2020 season.  Really thought Coach Ash was gonna get Caden back to playing well like his freshman year.

Caden knows he has a lot of work ahead...

Replying to  @CSterns_7   The people that matter. The eyes that need to see you understand what you are kid. Personally I love your film and I think you will be a great get. I have enjoyed scouting your work. Keep grinding forget stats.

8bRQSGr9_bigger.jpg    Caden Sterns  @CSterns_7

The more I see “stats” and watch the more I laugh  😂

8bRQSGr9_bigger.jpg    Caden Sterns  @CSterns_7

PFF makes me laugh lol

Cowboys 2021 draft prospects: Texas safety Caden Sterns scouting report & interview

Meet Texas safety Caden Sterns.

By Connor Livesay   on January 24, 2021 11:00 am

1287512421.0.jpg

Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images

If you haven’t noticed a theme yet, you probably will soon. Most of the Talkin’ the Draft interviews so far have been with players on the defensive side of the ball. And this week, we had our first safety on the show, and one the Cowboys are probably very familiar with.

After growing up in Texas, and playing his college football at the University of Texas, the Longhorns safety would be an excellent fit for the Cowboys defense in the 2021 NFL Draft. Check out his official scouting report, and out exclusive interview with him below.

Data courtesy CFB at Sports-Reference.com.

Name: Caden Sterns

School: Texas

Height: 6-0

Weight: 210

Class: Junior

Position: Safety

Jersey: #7

1278717601.jpg

Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images

Strengths:

Coverage, coverage, coverage. For a guy that looks more like your traditional strong safety, Texas safety Caden Sterns is more known for his ability to cover from both man and zone schemes. Sterns, a former four-star recruit out of Texas, has played in multiple roles for the Longhorns defense, playing both single-high, two-high, box, and the nickel role. Showcases impressive length at the position, Sterns is very physical at the line of scrimmage when asked to press receivers at the line in coverage. Fluid athleticism allows him to transition throughout the route-stem and flip his hips and run and cover space when playing the centerfield position. Had a ton of success reading quarterbacks keys early in his career to take the football away when playing in coverage. Noticeable arm length allows him to crowd catch points, recover if beaten across the middle of the field. Was a much more physical player in 2020, showing more willingness to stick his nose into the running game, and better angles when playing sideline-to-sideline. Good instincts against both the run and the pass, but could stand to trust them a bit more as he develops. Versatility stands out, as he isn’t a one-trick-pony on the backend for the Longhorns defense.

Weaknesses:

While angles and run game support improved in 2020, had some struggles in those areas earlier in his career. Good instincts, but could tell at times he was hesitant to trust them when driving on the ball or anticipating deep, sideline throws from the centerfield position. Has a tendency to dip his head at the strike-point, allowing ball carriers to bounce off tackle attempts due to inability to keep his eyes on, and drive through ball carriers. Dealt with his fair share of nagging injuries throughout his career at Texas. Nothing major, but missed multiple games due to being banged up.

Overall Summary:

In today’s NFL, the league loves defensive backs that can play multiple roles, and cover on the backend. Caden Sterns can do both, very well. Sterns, a three-year starter at Texas, was one of the Longhorns leaders on the defensive side of the ball, and his maturity and effort is off the charts for the former DFW native. Sterns showed success as a man and zone defender, and succeeded in his multiple responsibilities at Texas. Athleticism shines on tape, and should be confirmed with results from Pro Day, or however the NFL decides to handle the NFL Combine. Really good length at the position, and the ability to cover, and willingness as a run defender took big strides in 2020. If Caden Sterns can continue to develop his trust in his instincts and anticipation, and keep his body healthy, he should have a very long, successful career in the NFL. For Cowboys fans, Dan Quinn and Co. would love to keep the Texas born defensive back close to home in Dallas.

Round Grade:

Tape Highlights:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/platform/amp/2021/1/24/22244902/cowboys-2021-draft-prospects-texas-safety-caden-sterns-scouting-report-interview?utm_campaign=bloggingtheboys&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

image.gif