Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:
5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:
Back when Academy was an actual army super surplus store, my scout master used to go get old MRI's for camping trips.  They were nasty.

Used to hit up the one on the east side of I35, there across from Hancock Shopping center.  Loved that store as a kid!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Belichick-like coach-speak on their injury status....

Still doubts on Caden's condition recently mentioned by IT.... "One thing to monitor will be the health of Caden Sterns. Herman said he should be good to go but I'm not so sure. He certainly isn't 100%. Pretty much every safety has taken reps at field safety this week, including Overshown."

Edited by LTtxfan

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Caden-Sterns-Sugar-Bowl-knee-injury--127586739/

A knee injury suffered in the Big 12 championship kept star Texas safety Caden Sterns out of the Sugar Bowl against Georgia, a 28-21 Longhorns win, but fans did notice from the telecast that Sterns was dressed out and involved on the sidelines.

Sterns practiced in full leading up to the game but the Texas staff made a game-time decision to hold him out. Rehab from the injury is going as planned and Sterns will be ready for spring football.  

"I'm great," Sterns told 247Sports during a Jan. 4 interview in San Antonio, where he presented an award during the All-American Bowl banquet. "Making sure I'm getting right ... I did try [to play in the Sugar Bowl] but wasn't able to go full-go (in warmups). ... They made sure they took care of me. Rehab is going well."

• 1 month later...

wtf is tight coverage?

Indulge me, Red Raider fans ain't familiar with the fancy shmancy defensive stats...

Edited by slorch

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

forced incompletion percentage = (pass breakups +  interceptions + tight coverage) / total targets

Yeah, okay for interceptions. How tight is "tight coverage"? 

Sounds like something your mom might be involved in.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, Tex Long said:

Yeah, okay for interceptions. How tight is "tight coverage"? 

I would think anything that leads to nearly instant contact after the receiver touches the ball...so not necessarily a break-up, but hitting the receiver, forcing him out of bounds or into the ground causing a loss of control. Also keeping the receiver from getting to where he’s supposed to be in his route

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I would think anything that leads to nearly instant contact after the receiver touches the ball...so not necessarily a break-up, but hitting the receiver, forcing him out of bounds or into the ground causing a loss of control. Also keeping the receiver from getting to where he’s supposed to be in his route

Ummm... "so not necessarily a break-up, but... causing a loss of control" - that is specifically a PBU, not merely "tight coverage".  

That is not really the point, though. I've never seen a stat line in print or on a screen with a category styled as "tight coverage". 

Interceptions, yep. PBU, yep. But "tight coverage" (as something in addition to or other than the first two)? All I can think of is something along the lines of having guys you're covering being rarely or not at all targeted. 

50 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Ummm... "so not necessarily a break-up, but... causing a loss of control" - that is specifically a PBU, not merely "tight coverage".  

That is not really the point, though. I've never seen a stat line in print or on a screen with a category styled as "tight coverage". 

Interceptions, yep. PBU, yep. But "tight coverage" (as something in addition to or other than the first two)? All I can think of is something along the lines of having guys you're covering being rarely or not at all targeted. 

I can see cases where the DB rips through the hands but the WR still hangs on being considered tight coverage.  Similarly where he rattles the WR's teeth with a hit but the guys still hangs on, like that sideline shot in the Rose Bowl NC game where I wondered if the Trojan receiver was going to even get up but he completed the catch.

Edited by sushihorn

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

I can see cases where the DB rips through the hands but the WR still hangs on being considered tight coverage.  Similarly where he rattles the WR's teeth with a hit but the guys still hangs on, like that sideline shot in the Rose Bowl NC game where I wondered if the Trojan receiver was going to even get up but he completed the catch.

Yeah, nah. "Almost didn't not prevent catch" fits that better than "tight coverage". Not sure I give a fuck whether  the receivers he was covering were wide open or made a miracle catch. Too many completions given up is too many, no matter if coverage was tight or no.

26 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Yeah, nah. "Almost didn't not prevent catch" fits that better than "tight coverage". Not sure I give a fuck whether  the receivers he was covering were wide open or made a miracle catch. Too many completions given up is too many, no matter if coverage was tight or no.

Then you just don't care about playing defense.  Sometimes the defender makes the play and the the receiver just makes a better one.

10 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Then you just don't care about playing defense.  Sometimes the defender makes the play and the the receiver just makes a better one.

Oh, yeah... right, I forgot it's the Shag Surl. Not giving a fuck about a made-up and essentially pointless stat is clearly an indication of disdain for that side of the team.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Oh, yeah... right, I forgot it's the Shag Surl. Not giving a fuck about a made-up and essentially pointless stat is clearly an indication of disdain for that side of the team.

I was reacting specifically to what you said, not your imaginary conversation.

Not sure I give a fuck whether  the receivers he was covering were wide open or made a miracle catch.

It actually makes a huge difference.

21 hours ago, sushihorn said:

The term is being used in a stat for incompletions. If the receiver makes the catch, it would not be in the calculation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...