Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

Dallas Morning News...   Sept 22nd  Upcoming Texas Tech Game

Keeping enemies close

As a junior at Cibolo Steele High School, Caden Sterns made it all the way to the Texas Class 6A Division II title game with the Knights. Steele was led by quarterback Xavier Martin, one of Sterns' best friends in high school, who had been committed to Texas Tech for several years.

After making a few appearances at wide receiver in his first three years in Lubbock, Martin began to transition to defensive back for his redshirt junior season. Sterns said he and Martin put work in together in Cibolo while the two were home due to coronavirus precautions.

“He hit me up saying that he was getting moved to (defensive back) and would like to get some work in,” Sterns said. “We went out a couple times to the field and got some good quality work in.”

Martin did not record a defensive statistic in Tech’s Week 1 win over Houston Baptist, but Sterns said that his high school friend should be able to make a natural switch to defense.

“He’s more than capable of making that switch from quarterback to DB,” Sterns said. “He’s probably one of the most athletic dudes I’ve been around still to this day.” 

Tech’s scouting report

While the Red Raiders' defense struggled two weeks ago against FCS Houston Baptist, the Tech offense moved with ease. Quarterback Alan Bowman threw for 430 yards and the Red Raiders rushed for 197 more.

“We’re playing a team that wants to get the ball out with RPO’s on the edges,” Sterns said. “So we have to make sure we establish the edge, make sure we tackle in the open field.”

Bowman is not frequently mentioned in conversations surrounding the best quarterbacks in the conference, despite his solid numbers as a freshman and sophomore. In just three games a year ago, he put up 1,020 yards passing and six touchdowns.

“The reason why you probably haven’t heard about him is I’m pretty sure he was injured last year,” Sterns said. “He’s very accurate, doesn’t make too many dumb decisions, moves the offense efficient.”

Bowman has yet to play against Texas in his two-plus years at Tech after missing last year’s matchup due to injury. Following his huge performance in Week 1, Sterns and the defense are keyed on what Bowman can do with the Tech offense.

“They just move so efficiently, so I’ve got to make sure, eye discipline is going to be huge this week, technique is going to be huge this week, from tackling to covering,” Sterns said.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Perhaps he should shut the fuck up and focus on playing better. 

Why was he so highly rated? He’s slow as shit if we’re being honest. Haven’t seen him make a play since 2018. We laugh at O’Neal with the aggies but our guy is just as slow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Never thought I'd be saying this after Stern's Freshman season, but he's arguably the weakest link on the defense. It's a tossup between Sterns and Green. Sterns doesn't seem interested mixing himself up in the run game and is constantly several steps behind in pass coverage. Sterns was left in the dust several times during the WVU game in what was the best overall effort by the defense this season.

8 minutes ago, Chad said:

Never thought I'd be saying this after Stern's Freshman season, but he's arguably the weakest link on the defense. It's a tossup between Sterns and Green. Sterns doesn't seem interested mixing himself up in the run game and is constantly several steps behind in pass coverage. Sterns was left in the dust several times during the WVU game in what was the best overall effort by the defense this season.

Sterns definitely looks slow at times...

11 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yesterday was the first I’ve watched any football. I was bored at work and watched part of the second half. Sterns looks uninterested.

In the past, I remember some $9.95er glowing about what a great student of the game Caden was -- that he was constantly studying film.

Don't remember what all his injuries have been at TEXAS, but he seems to be nowhere close to the player he was as a freshman... sure sucks because thought he might be a special player for the HORNS...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 1

I've been wondering about his rating in high school also. He's a good tackler. But he's not a playmaker. Nothing special about him, IMO.

I remember when he was good.  Now wtf 

How people are surprised when elite talent regresses after getting here amazes me. Shit has been happening for a decade. It’s coaching.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BornOrange1955 said:

I've been wondering about his rating in high school also. He's a good tackler. But he's not a playmaker. Nothing special about him, IMO.

Sterns would have probably been on track to declare early for the draft this year if he went to LSU. He had elite play recognition, anticipation, and very good COD coming out of HS. 

We've developed him poorly.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Sterns would have probably been on track to declare early for the draft this year if he went to LSU. He had elite play recognition, anticipation, and very good COD coming out of HS. 

This is probably true, but he also has a serious injury history too. That doesn’t help anything.

Some interesting thoughts here.

Was he the worst player on defense? If so, that would mean others developed better right? The defense was good. Especially considering the O was fairly useless.

Too much labeling of regression versus scheme. Ossai has never regressed as a player but situationally last year he was wronged. Big time. Roach was hindered due by stupid coaching decisions and not a regression of skills.

Sterns well could be limited due to injuries. Maybe the want to is lacking. He wasn't that good as a frosh. He didn't do much last year. Injuries have for sure held him back.

His season is highlighted by the 3rd and 8 game clinching play vs TCU. It wasn't poor health that caused it. Probably not coaching. It showed a significant lack of instincts/understanding of the game. Give up 8 or 90 the game is over. I'd rather him give up 90 than allow the first by one yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

It’s not a development issue, injuries have really slowed him down and robbed him of his athleticism.

Guess Caden will play another year of CFB... nowhere near ready for NFL. 

Hopefully a healthy 2021 season gives him a shot to put better stuff on film for a shot in the NFL...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Sterns looks uninterested.

4 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I remember when he was good.  Now wtf 

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

He's just not that interested in football.

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

his focus is elsewhere and he needs to be on the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s just not that fast.  He had okay speed coming out of high school and was was much quicker.  I think his injuries have slowed his agility and straight line speed.  Unless he uses his instincts to break on a ball, he gets beat.  

With that said, outside of Overhsown, all of our DBs have regressed.  Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook.  Those were all 5 star or borderline 5 star guys.  I bet not a single one gets drafted in the top 3 rounds.  Texas cannot develop players.  How many draft picks have we had over the last 10 years compared to Bama, LSU, Ohio state, Clemson, UGA, Florida, ou, Oregon, etc.   not sure we even have as many as aggy.  

• Like 1

I wonder if he's a bit gun shy given his poor tackling form injuries last year.  The same thing happened to everyone's favorite Texas safety, Blake Gideon.  Everyone was impressed with the way he was flying around the field with abandon as a true Freshman until he was knocked silly in that head-on collision with that big Kansas(?) RB.  After that, the only players he hammered were his teammates.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, victory88 said:

With that said, outside of Overhsown, all of our DBs have regressed.  Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook.  Those were all 5 star or borderline 5 star guys.

Like Overshown, Foster needs to be a LB in this defense. He's a box safety that doesn't cover well enough. Green and Cook lack speed. Green might be better off in Sterns' spot. Cook has played well at nickel. All of these guys were better fits in Orlando's defense than Ash's.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Like Overshown, Foster needs to be a LB in this defense. He's a box safety that doesn't cover well enough. Green and Cook lack speed. Green might be better off in Sterns' spot. Cook has played well at nickel. All of these guys were better fits in Orlando's defense than Ash's.

I think green could make a very good safety 

• Hook 'Em 1