Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

I thought Caden played injured the majority of the time after his freshman season. Same with BJ who has basically been playing with one shoulder which I think have stunted both of their development. 4.40 is a bit shocking, but the kid takes bad angles, maybe because he can’t gauge speed or over estimates his own and because of that he can normally be found diving at the ball carriers feet.

2 hours ago, B00M said:

Appreciate the passion and hope the 4.40 is legit. It really doesn't surprise you at all? Do you think he was slowed by injuries or were we fans too oblivious to notice his elite speed? 

Dude. He’s fast as fuckkkk. Remember all those times he flew on top of some receiver after ossai had him wrapped up? That’s elite right there 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Caden did a pretty good job of running away from people the past couple years too...

I get we want to go to bat for our guys but claiming Jamaal Charles speed for Sterns is just ridiculous. Partially discredits everything else from the pro day. Lies about his 40 time should have stayed in the 4.4-4.5 range. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If he actually ran a 4.4, hell, even if he ran a 4.5....I guess he was “saving himself for the league” the past two years after a good freshman season and some “way too early” mock drafts had him as a first round pick back then.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, golfclap said:

I'm not that surprised because I had seen his combine totals and saw what his athleticism looked like as a FR. Athleticism wasn't his issue. His fucking head is the issue and right now I can't imagine spending a pick on him because his athleticism is elite and still he looks like he does in coverage and in space. He was playing out of position and/or in poor scheme super often under Orlando, sure. so you can forgive a little but A LOT of our other guys on defense looked demonstrably faster in the game vs Utah (called by Naviar) and/or in Ash's scheme the following season. Caden didn't. I think he's got to figure out if football is what he wants to do, because he certainly didn't prepare or play like it the past 2 seasons. Naivar and Ash are both good coaches at the S spot. He's got elite athleticism. Yancey McKnight is much maligned here but he did a really good job (as Pro Day shows). With all that Sterns still looks like he does on the field. He didn't progress as a player despite these things. Often the coaches get all of the blame re:development but it feels very much like the blame here is entirely with Sterns.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good stuff...

I wonder if Sterns isn't too sophisticated for a position as a DB.  At times, he demonstrates elite physical talent.  At times, he looks totally lost.

Overthinking can take an elite DB athlete and convert him into a clone of a random "fit" surl poster.  Or a Crossfit/Vegan surl poster. 

Sterns has clearly been distracted over the past year and I can forgive that.  I wish him well.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:20 PM, 6th Street said:

Where was this 4.4 speed when that LSU WR blew right by him on 3rd and 17?

Probably hindered by the high ankle sprain he suffered a week prior

On 3/12/2021 at 3:13 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

His attitude makes it hard to root for him then he opens his mouth and makes it easy to not root for him.

There is a very vocal minority (minority?) of Texas fans who openly despise Sterns then get offended when Sterns shows them no love in return. Talk about a feedback loop.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Probably hindered by the high ankle sprain he suffered a week prior

There is a very vocal minority (minority?) of Texas fans who openly despise Sterns then get offended when Sterns shows them no love in return. Talk about a feedback loop.

There is a segment of fans in the know that confirms he was shit talking the program. :)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is a segment of fans in the know that confirms he was shit talking the program. :)

Was this post supposed to refute my point that you're bitching about something that's arguably your own doing?

PS I don't condone players talking shit about the program but, considering how a vocal section of the fanbase treats certain players like shit and how Herman treated his players like dirt, I sure as hell understand why they might

1 hour ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Was this post supposed to refute my point that you're bitching about something that's arguably your own doing?

PS I don't condone players talking shit about the program but, considering how a vocal section of the fanbase treats certain players like shit and how Herman treated his players like dirt, I sure as hell understand why they might

Caden Sterns has been more detrimental to the program than Tom Herman, I'll put it that way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I wish him well. Not getting into the off the field stuff except to say that he certainly has a right to his own opinion which I respect. It’s a shame if poor coaching or injuries turned him into a jag but unfortunately that’s what he was much of his time on the 40 acres. 

Caden Sterns has been more detrimental to the program than Tom Herman, I'll put it that way.

Long time Herman hater but I’d say ultimately he was not or will not be detrimental to the program. But our transition may be fortuitous.

Caden Sterns not sure he’s added anything to the program. And if he bad mouthed it, then he’s likely a net negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Just going to assume at this point you're not interested in considering how the actions of Texas fans and coaches influenced that. Have a blessed Sunday.

Tom Herman hired poorly from the start.  

Tom's poor hires coached poorly.

Tom started to hold players more accountable when these same coaches could not effect more change.

Players also, despite poor coaching, were unable to be a catalyst for change.  They got beat by their counterpart at TCU/Iowa St. etc.

Tom fired poor hires too late.

Fans have enough and rightfully and strongly complain that their PROGRAM should hold their coaches and players accountable. 

No one likes to be held accountable so coach and player fingers start finger pointing and twitter warrior opinions start flying.

Players bad mouth the PROGRAM to recruits.  (You don't love a place and tell people to not come here, BS.

Neither the coaches nor players effect enough change on the field so it becomes evident there is need for PROGRAM change.

It takes FAN and ALUM influence to address the mess, overcome AD patience, and be a catalyst for change.

Players are given credit, by the fans, when things go well BUT often handle it POORLY when things do not.  

If they don't like their role or spotlight (good or bad) they can stay off the field and join the rest of us.  

When things go well they get their scholly, shoes, food, experience, all the glory and potential at money.  Fans get the bill win or lose, no glory no money.

I don't feel sorry for Caden or any loudmouth who isn't smart enough to know the deal.  He's doing himself as much harm as he is doing to the program, bet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's interesting how no one criticizes Overshown for expressing his opinion as much as they do to Sterns for doing the same. Maybe it has something to do with one of them being a true team player, accepting a position change from what he wanted to play, and busting his ass on the field every game. The same can't be said about the other.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

It's interesting how no one criticizes Overshown for expressing his opinion as much as they do to Sterns for doing the same. Maybe it has something to do with one of them being a true team player, accepting a position change from what he wanted to play, and busting his ass on the field every game. The same can't be said about the other.

bingo

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 3:43 AM, Lhorn said:

I wish him well. Not getting into the off the field stuff except to say that he certainly has a right to his own opinion which I respect. It’s a shame if poor coaching or injuries turned him into a jag but unfortunately that’s what he was much of his time on the 40 acres. 

This is a good take.

No matter what caused his lack of production,  most will agree it was not good and everyone can form their own opinion as to why. 

Edited by Laga4
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

Who is the last Texas DB to leave for the NFL and not hate UT? Quandre Diggs? Seems like DeShon Elliott, Kris Boyd, Holton Hill, and now Caden Sterns all despise this place and I blame Herman.

DeShon Elliott hated just Herman I think.

Kris Boyd seems to be indifferent, probably hated Herman too.

Holton Hill doesn't hate the place.

Come to think of it I think it was just Herman these guys hated. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I personally think he was not giving effort.

Yup... I'm sure he played through injuries at one point but it seemed like he basically was going through the motions this season in practice and in games and he basically opted out the second we were eliminated from the Big 12 championship and bailed on his teammates.  

• Hook 'Em 1