Caden Sterns

BigOrange1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Whatever. He came here and didn't work out. He was handed Tom Herman and Todd fucking Orlando. He had one season in a new system, his athleticism was limited, but at the end of the day he's a longhorn and I'll support him. 

Yeah but damn, he also seemed to not try quite a bit.

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Whatever. He came here and didn't work out. He was handed Tom Herman and Todd fucking Orlando. He had one season in a new system, his athleticism was limited, but at the end of the day he's a longhorn and I'll support him. 

His athleticism is off the charts. He was either injured or just not good at football last season. If you can run a 4.38 and have a 40 inch vertical, athleticism is not the problem.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, golfclap said:

I'm not that surprised because I had seen his combine totals and saw what his athleticism looked like as a FR. Athleticism wasn't his issue. His fucking head is the issue and right now I can't imagine spending a pick on him because his athleticism is elite and still he looks like he does in coverage and in space. He was playing out of position and/or in poor scheme super often under Orlando, sure. so you can forgive a little but A LOT of our other guys on defense looked demonstrably faster in the game vs Utah (called by Naviar) and/or in Ash's scheme the following season. Caden didn't. I think he's got to figure out if football is what he wants to do, because he certainly didn't prepare or play like it the past 2 seasons. Naivar and Ash are both good coaches at the S spot. He's got elite athleticism. Yancey McKnight is much maligned here but he did a really good job (as Pro Day shows). With all that Sterns still looks like he does on the field. He didn't progress as a player despite these things. Often the coaches get all of the blame re:development but it feels very much like the blame here is entirely with Sterns.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of the best recent write-ups on Caden....

Nice job @golfclapg

Also below is a decent analysis that has Caden in the 4th Rd

Analysis.  By Lance Zierlein. NFL Analyst

Draft Projection.  Round 4

Overview

Former highly touted recruit who came into Texas with plenty of hype but failed to make the impact that was expected. The size, length and aggressiveness as a hitter are still intriguing traits, but Sterns has moments where he really struggles with diagnosing play design and staying ahead of what the offense is trying to do. He lacks optimal instincts to play single-high, and man coverage can get away from him. He's shown signs of becoming a more reliable open-field tackler and he has the traits to be a better downhill safety than one playing backward. His eye-popping pro day numbers could push him up the draft board by a round, but the concerns about his play remain the same.

Strengths

• Much-improved open-field tackling in 2020.
  • Breaks down in space and gets tackle-ready.
  • Mirrors sudden lateral cuts and springs into the tackle.
  • Aggressive hitter and wrap-up tackler.
  • Possesses straight-line speed to range over the top.
  • Sudden and explosive leaper at high point.
  • Uses length to help make plays on the football.
  • Traits to be targeted as a quality special teams contributor.

Weaknesses

• Long, but leggy in space.
  • Stalls in plant-and-drive phase to attack throws in front of him.
  • Short-area movement is labored.
  • Unable to flip hips and run with smoothness.
  • Sees field through a straw and falls prey to misdirection.
  • Not a natural deep safety, allowing receivers behind him.
  • Ball-tracking appears below average.
  • Questionable angles to the ball.
  • Needs better downhill urgency to limit open-field options for runners

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

His athleticism is off the charts. He was either injured or just not good at football last season. If you can run a 4.38 and have a 40 inch vertical, athleticism is not the problem.

Yeah, I meant to say something else and I wrote athleticism. But you're right, he's athletic. He takew bad angles and he's injury prone. Plus throwing shitty coaching into the mix...

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah but damn, he also seemed to not try quite a bit.

Very true. He did seem to give up a whole lot when he was backed into a corner. He may have athleticism, but he sure doesn't have the want. He didn't seem to get better, only worse. Only some of that can be blamed on coaching, but the rest is on him.

Take Josh Thompson for example. Dude works his ass off and doesn't have any quit in him. He'll be drafted and imo he'll be a damn good NFL player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, I meant to say something else and I wrote athleticism. But you're right, he's athletic. He takew bad angles and he's injury prone. Plus throwing shitty coaching into the mix...

He doesn't play fast on film.  He may have tremendous athleticism buy it doesn't show up on film which is a big red flag.  

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

He doesn't play fast on film.  He may have tremendous athleticism buy it doesn't show up on film which is a big red flag.  

For sure. He looks slow on tape. He also doesn't take his role seriously. He seems to think just athleticism alone is all NFL teams care about. He's gonna get a wake up call. 

On 4/30/2021 at 12:33 PM, LTtxfan said:

Still seems like 4th Rd is his best case scenario...

Yup -- Early 5th was the spot a team was willing to take a chance on Caden.  Has a good defensive coach at Denver, so should be a good situation for him...

On 5/1/2021 at 3:23 PM, SA-KC_Horn said:

No highlight of his coverage skills on 3rd & 17?

Seriously. I can’t believe he couldn’t stick in single coverage against the guy who just put up one of the best rookie seasons ever for a receiver.  Oh well, I guess I’ll just keep calling that coverage over and over. 

/Todd Orlando 

• Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, futureman said:

I think his buddy on the training staff did him a solid with some of those numbers.

4.38 my ass. he isn’t running that at the combine. 

All these athletes this year are so lucky they were hand timed. Poor 2022 draft class will be back at the combine. It seems times this year were on average faster overall at all positions. I'm not going to do that research but I would imagine times once back at the combine in that environment will be overall slower next year.