Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

8 hours ago, Tom said:

It's a great strategy to fire up his base and low information voters.  If you want to be depressed, read the Facebook comments on the video.  Tons of people are eating it up, right along with his DWI arrest and how he wants to grab your guns.  It's incredibly disheartening how many mouth breathing morons make up this state.

Are they also discussing about how ol Ted violated federal election laws? I mean, they Are for law and order so surely they have a problem with that, right?

22 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Good job.  He looked a bit star struck, but his first comment about his buddy who was disappointed in his answer was terrific.  Taking the high road against a total bastard.

Bold strategy.

Agreed.

20 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

I hope he didn't just Mondale himself with that fan contraption.

I don't know what that means, but I infer you thought it was an awkward move.  Me too.  He looked super goofy non-statesmen like, like a guy trying on his dad's suit.  I tried to reassure myself that Trump had his hair tussled by Fallon and all that.

14 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

If Beto had pulled this kind of bullshit that Cruz did,  i would be researching the Green Party candidate right now or considering not voting altogether (which would kill me!).

but go check out the Texags thread on this. Even faced with the truth of this cynical, underhanded, shittiness, they either blindly ignore the reality or just don't care.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2974404

6 minutes ago, yoladu said:

If Beto had pulled this kind of bullshit that Cruz did,  i would be researching the Green Party candidate right now or considering not voting altogether (which would kill me!).

but go check out the Texags thread on this. Even faced with the truth of this cynical, underhanded, shittiness, they either blindly ignore the reality or just don't care.

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2974404

I'll say this about TexAgs:  you can see some cracks in the facade now.  It's still focus group sloganeering and whataboutism with 50 stars on each post, but at least there are posters there willing to retort.  Probably down from 95%+ Trumpism to 80% or so.

24 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Apparently Telemundo is releasing a poll later today of Texas Hispanics.

If Beto isn’t getting at least 70% of their vote, he’s in trouble.

I saw something a few weeks ago saying it was 60-40 Beto.  Figure name recognition is very important here with Cruz on the ballot, so hopefully it’ll move quite a deal. 

Also though, Latinos don’t vote. https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/11/hispanic-turnout-2016-election/

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

Just now, Art Vandelay said:

The fact that you're able to burn the flag without fear of being punished by the government is as American as it gets. 

The act of burning the flag is by its very nature anti-American. 

I agree with both of these sentences. I don't like someone burning our flag but I support their right to burn our flag.  But getting people who are so stuck on black and white to look at the gray of the combination of those 2 sentences is damn near impossible.

• Like 5

I don’t see it as a Dukakis moment. Completely different motivation and circumstances. This was not a self -aggrandizing cheesy photo-op to look tough in a tank, this was being human enough to play along with a prank and be a good sport. It’s pretty funny. And it highlights Beto’s hard work and determination.

Cruz will run with it and trip on his dick in another funny way self-owning way that he didn’t intend at all. “Real Texans don’t sweat”

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

The fact that you're able to burn the flag without fear of being punished by the government is as American as it gets. The act of burning the flag is by its very nature anti-American. 

Not just burn the flag, but wear it on your ass, as a hat, and any numerous other ways red-blooded Americans desecrate it. 

• Like 1

I went on a boy scout camp out with my son and some liberal snowflake scout master had the nerve to burn a US flag right in front of the boys!  I said “What is this shit you hippie fag!”  Everyone looked surprised but I just started yelling at all those pussy dads and kids for not standing up for our troops...and god...and merica!

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I don’t see it as a Dukakis moment. Completely different motivation and circumstances. This was not a self -aggrandizing cheesy photo-op to look tough in a tank, this was being human enough to play along with a prank and be a good sport. It’s pretty funny. And it highlights Beto’s hard work and determination.

Cruz will run with it and trip on his dick in another funny way self-owning way that he didn’t intend at all. “Real Texans don’t sweat”

Cruz will give a counter interview on InfoWars and accept a giant bottle of supplements to keep Texas red.

So the Civil War reenactor in my neighborhood who occasionally flies a confederate flag in his front yard finally got his Cruz sign up and about four other signs for various republicans running in the area. That's one thing I noticed is that people with Cruz signs in their yard tend to have signs for all the Republican judges, reps, etc. as well. They truly only care about the letter in front of the name. 

Edited by Bruh Man

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

So the Civil War reenactor in my neighborhood who occasionally flies a confederate flag in his front yard finally got his Cruz sign up and about four other signs for various republicans running in the area. That's one thing I noticed is that people with Cruz signs in their yard tend to have signs for all the Republican judges, reps, etc. as well. They truly only care about the letter in front of the name. 

So driving through my neighborhood today, and saw something similar. Saw about a dozen Beto signs (in upper middle class WilCo) standing on their own. Saw one Cruz sign, and they also had signs for all the Republicans. Like they got a deal on the whole set or something. 

According to some articles there weren’t many Cruz signs made as they thought it was a waste of money but they’ve heard from enough people that want to show support with yard signs, that the Cruz campaign is trying to quickly get signs made and out the door.  Wouldn’t surprise me to see more soon.  

I think sometimes this board lives in a bubble.  Most on here are very well informed and know a fair amount about both candidates.  We talk about how many yard signs we see, but take a minute to think about every yard with no sign.  There's probably a fair amount of the population that recognizes Beto's and Cruz' names but has no idea who they really are or what they're about.  A large number of Texans are going to vote Cruz just because there's an R by his name or a Z at the end of it.  They might have changed their mind if they knew more about the candidates... but they don't and they don't really give a shit.   It's a very small segment of the population that is in tune as this board, or any board for that matter.  

• Like 1

absolutely.  and the demographics thing - it's more complicated than that.  The thing about the demographics that change isn't going to be more hispanic people in Texas, it's going to be more young and more urban.  More companies coming in bringing in more college educated folks to live in the urbs and suburbs.  It's possible that things will break in just the right way for things to work out for Beto this time around.  Really possible, but only because the world is such a fucking shitshow right now. 

I should go camp out at 5501 Airport just registering people who are waiting in line, though.

Definitely.  My girlfriend's dad is a proud Mexican.  Fox News all day in his house.  I don't know if it's because he wants to distance himself and his family from the undocumented immigrants or takers of handouts or what, but the idea that most hispanics in Texas are liberal is wishful thinking.  He's a hard worker and he probably thinks that's what the Republican Party is all about.    And he's not the only one.