Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

6 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I just don’t see anti-Cruz sentiment being enough to win the day.  It’s going to take magnetism on the D side.  Going blue takes Lloyd Bentsen, not punk rock anti gun pro abortion guy.  

Someone does not raise $6.7 million from 141,000 donors in 3 months without "magnetism."

9 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I just don’t see anti-Cruz sentiment being enough to win the day.  It’s going to take magnetism on the D side.  Going blue takes Lloyd Bentsen, not punk rock anti gun pro abortion guy.  

I agree, but I think Beto has done a ton to improve his name recognition in prospective crossover (white) voters. The real work is going to come in turning out all the Dems. Results from the primary in South Texas shows there were way too many hispanics who just didn't know who he was.

His task is herculean: continue rural outreach while also turning out the more reluctant but solidly Democratic votes. He has the money and I believe the campaign infrastructure in place to do it better than anyone. The question is if it is even possible in 2018.

• Like 1

Abby Livingston with the Texas Tribune is a great follow on Twitter for Texas politics, especially this race. This is an interesting thread.

The energy and organizing behind Beto's campaign has been awesome, but I'm realistic and Texas probably gonna Texas this fall. But Beto's work will not be in vain - his strategy and intensive local approach can be a road map for others. And by the way...

...this is so weak. Cruz spends most of his time in Texas meeting with "job creators," which is R-speak for multimillion dollar businesses and their lobbyists. And if Beto's "drive by" campaign event strategy is so lame, why are you doing it too, Ted?

Today's schedule:

9am - campaign event in Midland

12pm - campaign event in Amarillo

3pm - campaign event in Wichita Falls

6:30pm - campaign event in Fort Worth

12 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Abby Livingston with the Texas Tribune is a great follow on Twitter for Texas politics, especially this race. This is an interesting thread.

The energy and organizing behind Beto's campaign has been awesome, but I'm realistic and Texas probably gonna Texas this fall. But Beto's work will not be in vain - his strategy and intensive local approach can be a road map for others. And by the way...

...this is so weak. Cruz spends most of his time in Texas meeting with "job creators," which is R-speak for multimillion dollar businesses and their lobbyists. And if Beto's "drive by" campaign event strategy is so lame, why are you doing it too, Ted?

Today's schedule:

9am - campaign event in Midland

12pm - campaign event in Amarillo

3pm - campaign event in Wichita Falls

6:30pm - campaign event in Fort Worth

I guess the war chest that I've proudly contributed to is helping to start taking some chartered flights, because I don't know how else someone could manage that schedule.

^^^ That woman is ignorant. Reptilians can manipulate human genetic coding! You think they couldn't beat a dumb DNA test? Not to mention the fact that thousands of years ago, reptilians interbred with humans so there's tons of overlap in DNA anyways. I'm embarrassed for that woman.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2018 at 10:11 PM, Grandioso said:

^^^ That woman is ignorant. Reptilians can manipulate human genetic coding! You think they couldn't beat a dumb DNA test? Not to mention the fact that thousands of years ago, reptilians interbred with humans so there's tons of overlap in DNA anyways. I'm embarrassed for that woman.

Not to mention that reptilians run all the DNA testing places, so they can breed more of us for food.

• Like 1

Just now, RDCanecutter said:

Not to mention that reptilians run all the DNA testing places, so they can breed more of us for food.

That's bullshit. Everybody knows that the primary use of humans to lizard people is as living batteries and telepathic relays; and that we are only consumed by them once we expire, and then only as fuel. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm voting for Beto. Fuck Ted Cruz, he's the Kevin Morgan of congressmen. 

Let's not overly-insult Kevin Morgan. We have good reasons not to like him, but he does make sure that people driving around Texas can have large buckets of wine smoothies in their cars if they so choose. Cruz lives off the public till, and eats unidentified objects off his own face.

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:
9 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:
I like that he nicknamed himself "Beto." It will definitely appeal more to the Hispanic vote than Robert Francis O'Rourke.    

Link?

http://freebeacon.com/politics/meet-irish-american-going-mexican-nickname-challenging-ted-cruz/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/7/17091094/controversy-beto-orourke-robert-name-ted-cruz

Apparently it's a childhood nickname 

3 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

You forgot to add Zodiac killer to that list

That's actually just reptilian propaganda/disinformation meant to distract people from the real truth. Cruz concocted it with the Rothschilds as a "controlled opposition" strategy. 

tenor.gif?itemid=6218160

• Like 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

That all sounds cool and refreshing on paper, but if he is serious about trying to win it is really dumb.  Pollsters/Facebook data thieves and targeted advertisers in particular are probably more valuable now than ever.

Perhaps, but an organic political movement based on ideas is certainly still appealing and probably has more long term viability.

Anybody else getting the Beto emails?   This guy is running the anti-Cruz.   I haz an excite about him.

This has been one of the most exciting, energizing weeks of the campaign. We traveled more than 1,600 miles, listened to our fellow Texans in dozens of counties, including 16 we hadn’t been to before. You may have followed some of this on our Facebook live stream, but wanted to share my thoughts while they’re still fresh.

At McLennan Community College in Waco last Tuesday, we talked about standing up to the fear that some are trying to sow among us about the differences between us at the same time that we get after the big work before us, ensuring we can all see a doctor, that we have great public schools, that everyone can afford higher education, that we can each find work with dignity and purpose, that pays a living wage -- and that we do it without PACs, special interests or help from corporations.

Beto for Texas

On the steps of the Trinity County Courthouse in Groveton, we talked about investing in infrastructure -- like broadband internet -- in rural Texas; about the need to support our rural hospitals and clinics that depend in part on Medicaid in a state that has refused to expand it (six rural hospitals closed down last year!). Republicans, Democrats and Independents were there -- all committed to working together to get this done.

Beto for Texas

On the Near Northside in Houston, we met at Raven Tower (offering a stunning view of downtown Houston) and talked about our commitment to women's health and a woman's right to choose at a time that we lead the country in the rate of maternal mortality and the rate of repeat teen pregnancy.

Beto for Texas

We also had a town hall at Talento Bilingue where we underscored the importance of fulfilling our commitment to our veterans, our opportunity to support Dreamers and our obligation to ensure each one of us can contribute to our full potential. We made it clear that EVERYONE in Texas must be heard, listened to, and represented -- no one can be taken for granted.

Beto for Texas

At the University of Houston, I was inspired when the students who filled the large auditorium demanded common sense on gun violence, on mental health, on student loans and on ending the war on drugs. The room exemplified the power and beauty and the diversity of our state.

Beto for Texas

The next day, Amy joined us in our Dodge Caravan minivan (flashback for us! We hadn’t driven a minivan since Henry was 5) -- made me happy to be with her, which is so rare these days, and for her to be part of the conversations we were having along the way.

In San Saba, we heard an appeal for our rural public schools and the need to attract young adults back to their community. It all boils down to ensuring a strong future for small-town Texas that many fear is at risk. (I also met a woman there who told me that when she attempted to vote for me in the primary they had to find the key to retrieve the Democratic voting information -- there hadn’t been a lot of demand for that before!)

Beto for Texas

In Brady, we met veterans who exemplify service above self and farmers who fear what the recent tariffs mean to their livelihood.

Beto for Texas

Between Brady and our wonderful stay at the 1910 State Hotel in Sterling City on Saturday night, we stopped in Runnels County and Coke County to have one-on-one conversations with their county judges.

While we didn't agree on everything, they could not have been more kind, and the discussion was both lively and civil. And that's the foundation of our Democracy: sitting across from one another and having conversations about our shared goals and the future of our country. It was important for me to hear the issues they face. Whether it's wildfires amidst record droughts destroying ranch land or state and federal regulations that can sometimes make it difficult to provide necessary services, there is much that an engaged and informed U.S. Senator can do for rural Texas.

Beto for Texas

In Glasscock County, a teacher (introduced herself as a lifelong Republican) brought her three kids to meet us. She expressed her frustration that her son who is a junior in high school will have to pursue a career outside of Glasscock because it's not economically viable for him to take over their family farm. Global warming is making it nearly too hot to farm, their equipment has become too expensive to maintain and the risk of a failed crop has become too much of a burden.

Beto for Texas

In Midland, in a room packed with over 300 people, we recounted the story of the '49 Bowie Bears and how we all need to have a chance to compete. Because when that becomes possible, we all win. I was reminded of that story because on the way into the town hall I stopped at a convenience store for coffee and met Freddy from El Paso (proud Bowie High grad!) who told me that he works a month at a time in Midland in a fracking operation before heading back to his hometown for a few days to be with his family. A reminder of how hard the people of Texas work and how much they need a Senator who is in their corner.

Beto for Texas

Beto for Texas

In Stanton, Texas (Martin County) just east of Midland, with a population of 2,492, the sheriff, finance director from the public school system, an attorney, and several community leaders who were farmers talked about the importance of NAFTA, the need for immigrant labor, the absurdity of the wall, and the plea for additional local control when it comes the use of federal dollars. While no one told me their party affiliation, and I never asked, I presume the group was Republican. One gentleman told Amy that he was done with party politics altogether. He was going to vote for the person that could stay true to bipartisanship and common sense.

Beto for Texas

In Crosby County, I met an 88-year-old man who had made his own Beto for Texas sign. I heard about the ghost town of Emma, which died when the railroad passed it by -- a lesson in what happens when we don't invest in infrastructure for rural Texas.

Beto for Texas

I spent part of the day with a wheat and cotton farmer in Dawson county, learning about the slim margins, the long days, the uncertain finances that come with being a farmer -- and how there is a role for government to play, to stand up for the little gal and the little guy to make sure they have a chance to succeed and contribute to our shared success.

Beto for Texas

In Floydada, a man stood up and told me "I'm retired Navy and a lifelong Republican. I like how you approach service and the way that you campaign. I'm going to vote for you. You're my man."

Beto for Texas

In Silverton, we heard about ways we can attract young people back to rural communities as well as the diseases of despair (suicide, drug addiction, alcoholism) that become more prevalent when opportunities for work and function decrease.

Beto for Texas

In Matador, I met a remarkable man who'd served his community in public office and now delivers the mail. And outside I met a dog named Blondie who made my day and lifted my spirits.

Beto for Texas

I listened to young farmers in Tulia about the decision to take up one of the hardest occupations known to woman and man. And whether it's qualifying for the financing from the bank, the uncertainty of the future of the farm bill, or making sure they have healthcare so that they can concentrate on growing our food and fiber, they need a champion in the Senate.

Beto for Texas

Sunday night found us in Lubbock on the Texas Tech campus with more than 700 people taking part in a conversation about the future of this country. We heard about the need for equity in education, criminal justice reform, having the backs of our healthcare professionals and support for the arts. And we had a great time meeting so many people -- including hundreds of students -- afterward for a picture and some more conversation.

Beto for Texas

I felt overwhelmed by the intensity of the commitment, the culmination of so much time on the road, so many good conversations with so many good people and the warm welcome and support that I felt in Lubbock that night and that I get everywhere we go in Texas.

All of this (and many more towns and counties that we visited) took place over the course of just one week! And we’ve been at this for over a year!

This week is a reminder of how this grassroots campaign is the best way to know and represent the people of Texas. Showing up, listening, learning and being with our fellow Texans.

Beto for Texas

So lucky to be doing this with you, so grateful for this opportunity. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Beto

DONATE $10

sorry, i haven't figured out how to do that spoiler thing yet.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s a pretty serious travel schedule.  Smart to try to cut into the margins the GOP has with the small town and rural voters.  I don’t remember, but I doubt Wendy Davis ever toured around like that.

Wouldn't want to scuff up the ol' pink Nikes

45 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If college-educated suburban women turn on the GOP this fall, Beto could very well win. 

Culberson in TX-7 might lose, too.

Plenty of them turned out for Hillary in Fort Bend County in 2016. 

A year into Trump, and there could definitely be a lot of ant-Trump voters turning out. 

On 4/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, RayDog said:

I watched the live stream from Georgetown on facebook. If you have any interest in this race do yourself a favor and watch him live.

If nothing else he passes the I want to have a beer with that guy test.

But the other  guy passes the "I want to punch him right in the fucking face" test with flying colors. 

Side note:
The Ports to Plains Alliance, comprised of much of West Texas, has been trying for about 20 years to get I-27 (currently only from Amarillo to Lubbock) extended north to Denver and south to San Angelo and then down on to the border. This has been a sincere, longterm, and very traditional lobbying effort.

By contrast, the bizarre notion of an I-14 connecting Jasper to Huntsville to Killeen to San Angelo to Midland/Odessa appeared over night a couple years ago and was passed by Congress.

I'm sure the PtoP people are really all kinds of like WTF?