Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

WilCo is going to be interesting to watch the next few cycles. Tons of growth on the Ronald Regan corridor and along 29. Lots of young families and new Texans.

So many new Texans. My wife has expressed an interest in moving to Georgetown. Is it becoming another Austin satellite full of commuters?

the campaign is certainly unconventional. but it just might work. beto's townhall strategy may pull a few voters across the line who previously held their nose and voted for ted because of the (R) next to his name. meeting people and listening to them can go a long way, especially in rural texas.

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the campaign is certainly unconventional. but it just might work. beto's townhall strategy may pull a few voters across the line who previously held their nose and voted for ted because of the (R) next to his name. meeting people and listening to them can go a long way, especially in rural texas.

There may well be something to this.  It creates a pretty clean narrative.  Ted Cruz represents himself (show Ted for president stuff), and special interests (show huge campaign contributions from various interests, and big out of state donors).  Beto will represent people (show multiple town hall scenes)...the people of Texas.

ruh roh

The closely watched U.S. Senate race in Texas is too close to call, with 47 percent for Republican incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz and 44 percent for U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, his Democratic challenger, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released today. 

Sen. Cruz gets lackluster grades, including a 47 - 45 percent job approval rating and a 46 - 44 percent favorability rating. O'Rourke gets a 30 - 16 percent favorability rating, but 53 percent of Texas voters don't know enough about him to form an opinion of him.

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2536

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Beto will get his clock cleaned on election day, I don't care if the current polls had him 60-40 over Cruz. Cruz had over 700,000 more people vote for him in the primary than Beto did. 

Will be interesting since I lean Dem, but voted in the R primary since there was virtually no reason to vote in the Dem primary.  Beto will get my vote in the general.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A part of me still thinks Beto should just run ads showing video clips and tweets where Trump trashed Cruz.  Would love to see how Cruz addresses that.

Same way he addressed it in 2016. By shoving Trump's cock and balls in his mouth and humming God Bless America.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Beto will get his clock cleaned on election day, I don't care if the current polls had him 60-40 over Cruz. Cruz had over 700,000 more people vote for him in the primary than Beto did. 

Unfortunately, this is where I am, too.  The numbers just don't add up.  And when the negative adds based on the oppo research start coming out in October in force on Beto, that will do more harm than it should.  I am from Mizzou on any statewide dem until proven otherwise.  Hopefully Beto can pull it off.  

36 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

Will be interesting since I lean Dem, but voted in the R primary since there was virtually no reason to vote in the Dem primary.  Beto will get my vote in the general.

I did the same and then was complained to by someone in a tight dem race  that they heard a lot of people were taking this action. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

haha. f ted cruz. this will be fucking great theater. 

Two good things can come of this, to go with a football metaphor:

1 - WR Beto can take it to the house, and win the game.

2 -at the very least, the GOP defense is going to have to send the safety over to put Beto in double coverage.  Expending the resource here means that the resource won't be available to defend against other plays on other parts of the field.

Making the GOP spend real money on a senate race in Texas (where they SHOULD be safe, and can save their money for other competitive states) is a win, because it might help the Dems win another close race or two somewhere else.

And it might be a big win, because....hey, he's got a shot.  It's a slim shot.  But....

Oh it's a long shot for sure. If you look at the primaries and gave Beto every single D vote, and all the R votes that went against Cruz, Cruz would have still won by 5 figs. But November is a long way away, and if the R's keep shitting in their own hands and smearing it all over themselves anything could happen.

I wished they had polled voters on interest since the latest national figures are 66% for Democrats and 49% for Republicans. We need that information to gauge potential turnout. If 10% more Democrats vote then normal it could put Beto over the top.

Lifelong Republican voter here. Voted Libertarian in last presidential election. Voted in the Republican primary this year because not really any point to voting in the Democratic primary in Midland. I will be supporting and voting for Beto in the Fall. In fact, I will likely vote a Democratic slate because I am so sick of the Republicans for whoring themselves out to Trump. They’ve shown their true colors, and have likely lost me for life. 

Edited by MidTexHorn
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, F250 said:

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? That groups mission is pretty important for the Texas economy.

I was just trying to give Cruz some airplay. His social media game is pathetic so when he does tweet something halfway decent I’ll post it here to keep it fair, in a way.

At least so others can see how Cruz is campaigning.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

If this election is Cruz Vs Beto, I give Beto a chance to win but it’s really Cruz/GOP straight ticket vs Beto/Dem straight ticket.  Cruz wins by 5.  It won’t be that some hold their nose while voting for Cruz, they will just pick the straight party vote for the gop, and it’s over.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If this election is Cruz Vs Beto, I give Beto a chance to win but it’s really Cruz/GOP straight ticket vs Beto/Dem straight ticket.  Cruz wins by 5.  It won’t be that some hold their nose while voting for Cruz, they will just pick the straight party vote for the gop, and it’s over.

But Cruz is not the only reason to break from straight ticket voting with Patrick and Miller be two other reasons at the state level. There are plenty of other US and state congressional races and local races that should also get more people to split their ticket.

The more people who do the worse for Cruz.

Well Cruz or his campaign has no clue about robo calling. Got one yesterday except I moved back to Alabama last year and the phone does not have an Austin area code anymore. No idea how they decided I could be a targeted voter.

18 hours ago, Fozzz said:

They actually called me on that poll.  On my cell.  First time they called I didn't answer. (Who the fuck would call me from Connecticut?) But they left a message.  Second time they called I was not a good time.  Third time was a charm, so I answered.

President Trump is a flash-bang grenade thrown into Washington by the forgotten men and women of America. The fact that his first year as Commander in Chief disoriented and distressed members of the media and political establishment is not a bug but a feature.

The same cultural safe spaces that blinkered coastal elites to candidate Trump’s popularity have rendered them blind to President Trump’s achievements on behalf of ordinary Americans. While pundits obsessed over tweets, he worked with Congress to cut taxes for struggling families. While wealthy celebrities announced that they would flee the country, he fought to bring back jobs and industries to our shores. While talking heads predicted Armageddon, President Trump’s strong stand against North Korea put Kim Jong Un back on his heels.

President Trump is doing what he was elected to do: disrupt the status quo. That scares the heck out of those who have controlled Washington for decades, but for millions of Americans, their confusion is great fun to watch.

Cruz is a U.S. Senator from Texas

holy shit, that is somehow worse than i thought it would be

This sums up my view: 

Almost everything about politics under Trump sucks, but one of the few rays of golden light from heaven: Ted Cruz, who has always considered himself a man of towering intellect destined for greatness, humiliating himself over and over again for the moronic reality show star who beat him to the presidency.

https://splinternews.com/ted-cruz-debases-himself-for-daddy-trump-once-more-in-a-1825384478

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Ted Cruz: Super Cuck

I actually hate that the pathetic alt-right crowd co-opted this term, because every once in a while, it's actually perfect and apropos.

A supposed intellectual getting his ass kicked by a functional moron in an election, in which that moron shamefully insulted both his wife AND his father, and his response is...fall to his knees in complete supplication, asking for forgiveness for ever opposing said functional moron, working the phones for him, and fellating him with absurd praise at every turn, THAT'S when you need to use the term "cuck."

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Honestly, we're lucky Trump is president and not Teddy. 

Cruz yes. Roosevelt no.

I'm also factoring into the equation present day Teddy Roosevelt who is just a skeleton in a coffin. It's still a massive improvement. 

On 4/18/2018 at 6:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

Two good things can come of this, to go with a football metaphor:

1 - WR Beto can take it to the house, and win the game.

2 -at the very least, the GOP defense is going to have to send the safety over to put Beto in double coverage.  Expending the resource here means that the resource won't be available to defend against other plays on other parts of the field.

Making the GOP spend real money on a senate race in Texas (where they SHOULD be safe, and can save their money for other competitive states) is a win, because it might help the Dems win another close race or two somewhere else.

And it might be a big win, because....hey, he's got a shot.  It's a slim shot.  But....

2011 Wisconsin was snakebit.  That was funny to watch.