Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

26 minutes ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Lets make fun of Cruz's looks! That is all we have because he is going to smoke Beto badly!

Damnit. I thought i had you on ignore.  

Thats a damn coaching mistake

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Theo Huxtable said:

What is so fucked up about Ted Cruz’s face? I haven’t been able to identify it yet. Is it his nose? It’s too narrow and long? Or his lips look weird? What is it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He has a face that needs to be thin.  He looks like complete dogshit whenever he packs on a few pounds, but looks normal enough when he's at his correct weight.  My cousin has the same problem.  Fat just doesn't look right on him.

13 hours ago, Theo Huxtable said:

What is so fucked up about Ted Cruz’s face? I haven’t been able to identify it yet. Is it his nose? It’s too narrow and long? Or his lips look weird? What is it?!

He's got a Frank Burns thing going on....

645223802.jpg

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why do you buy into conservative hysteria?

I dont, I look at issues individually and logically, and more times than not, I find myself aligning with conservative economic principles, and some of the Republican and liberal social policies. So I typically vote Republican because I dont find liberal gun grabbing/abortion loving/social welfare spending/etc. to be a viable campaign platform to get my vote. 

• Fuck You 1

I'm a little late, but I find Beto to be quite handsome - not just politics hot.  He's got a very Kennedy-esque thing going on.

I like his salt and pepper hair, too.

But he definitely ticks most of my boxes - tall, lanky, angular face, mop of dark hair.  All he needs is a british accent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I'm a little late, but I find Beto to be quite handsome - not just politics hot.  He's got a very Kennedy-esque thing going on.

But he definitely ticks most of my boxes - tall, lanky, angular face, mop of dark hair.  All he needs is a british accent.

He needs to tick the one box that counts, amirite?

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah but Kennedy was politician hot himself.  He wasn't much of a looker when put in the proper context of the male population. He was just hot in comparison to most of his colleagues. He's like Jim Halpert hot.  Good looking guy in your office (comparatively), but you likely wouldn't even notice him if you passed him in the street and didn't know who he was.  

See, I find the Kennedys are more than politics hot - especially Bobby and JFK Jr.

Teddy was a looker when he was young, too.  JFK is actually the least attractive to me.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail - I was just answering the question from a few pages back inquiring about Beto's looks - there aren't very many of us on this board that can answer that as an expert so I felt the need to voice my expertise. 

• Like 1

I saw 47-44 Cruz but admittedly that was from a month ago. And Trump will do a lot of stupid shit between now and Election Day to propel Beto. Maybe he does. 

37 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Serious question: y’all really think Beto will win?  

I've been on record since the outset: No, I don't think he wins. That said, my support for his candidacy over Cruz won't be diminished. If we played the game as you seem to be suggesting, we might as well not hold elections at all.

While winning this election would be my preferred outcome, I would be very satisfied with a close showing to demonstrate to the Texas GOP that their political monopoly over this state is on shaky ground and is diminishing by the year. Afterall, Trump only beat Hillary by 9 points and Mitt beat Obama by 16. With Dallas, Travis, Bexar, Harris being solidly blue over the last two presidential election cycles and some evidence that the suburbs are turning purple (Ft. Bend is blue now), then I do think the right Democratic candidate stands a chance of winning statewide office against a shitheel Republican. 

And let's face it. Ted is an immensely dislikable guy with questionable accomplishments after "representing" this state the last several years: everyone on Capitol Hill (from both parties) hates him; he's a smug and arrogant weasel; he barely ever shows his face in front of the people he supposedly represents; and I can't think of a single accomplishment he's made since becoming a senator. In other words, I do think he's vulnerable. Moreover, this is an election year where the party in power historically loses seats in Congress.

So, let's try out that theory and see how close we can get. I've donated to Beto and plan to volunteer some of my precious time to his campaign in the coming months. Ted, like Granny Goeb, are not real Texans and I don't want these pretenders to feel like they represent me in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 3

I think he has a damn good chance. I expect Cruz will win, but in very weird times, you only need a chance. 

It’s all of this. Cruz has a lot of hatred in the state, and I am looking forward to Trump campaigning for Cruz cause it’s so close.

And in all honesty McRaven needs to run next cycle. He would have a 10 point lead over Cruz today.

38 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

And in all honesty McRaven needs to run next cycle. He would have a 10 point lead over Cruz today.

I think McRaven would have a hard time in the primary due to his previous stance on campus carry. His position is just common sense, but he'd get painted as anti 2nd amendment by the far right.

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

Serious question: y’all really think Beto will win?  

Again, using the 2016 election as a starting point 52.23% of Texas voters voted for Trump and 47.67% voted against Trump. That is only a 4.56% difference.

The breakdown of those against Trump was 43.24% Clinton, 3.16% Johnson, 0.80% Stein, and 0.57% writeins. Note that there will always be a small number of people who will not vote for either party candidate, but it should be less than 1% in the Senate race. One can argue these anti-Trump voters will be anti-Cruz voters. 

I will also argue that Cruz is less popular than Trump was at the time of that election.

There is also a lack of enthusiasm among a significant percentage of Republicans while Democrats are enthusiastic. Independents are leaning strongly democratic.

I think it will be more than enough to swing the election to O'Rourke.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Didn't the Republicans have like half a million more votes in their primary? Where does the Democrat candidate make up that gap for the general election?

How much crossover Democrat votes were there for Cruz? I would venture to guess not enough to make up for that. Look, I don’t think anyone would say that Beto will cruise through. But 6 months is an eternity in politics. Let’s see where the chips fall in November. 

Signifying little but more than nothing and as a rural Texas resident, I have yet to see a single Cruz sign.

Not one.
I'm not sure if the yard sign index is indicative of anything, but my neighborhood is full of Beto signs and bumper stickers. I'm inclined to guess it's more a measure of enthusiasm than anything else.

There are likely tons of die-hard Republicans who will do their duty and pull the lever for him, because R, that we'll never see in yard signs nor bumper stickers.