Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Adding to what I said above:
During the 2016 election, I think I saw a total of three Trump bumper stickers and zero yard signs. On the other hand, I'd venture to guess about a dozen Hillary yard signs and double that on stickers.

Both counts were underwhelming and yet Trump still garnered about a third of the Travis County votes. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with my neighborhood and commute, but I also think that many are choosing to not publicly proclaim their support nowadays for whatever reason.

40 minutes ago, F250 said:

Didn't the Republicans have like half a million more votes in their primary? Where does the Democrat candidate make up that gap for the general election?

There are plenty more votes for both Cruz and Beto to get.

Here is the 2014 Senate race

GOP primary all candidates combined:1,500,000

Dem primary all candidates combined:510,000

General Election

Cornyn 2,800,000

Alameel 1,500,000

Alameel picked up a million over the total dem primary. Cornyn picked up 1.3 million more over the total GOP primary.  Now most of those 2.3 million probably arent switch hitters, but there are enough there to make up the primary gap, for sure. And also note that general-only voters outnumbered primary voters overall. 

2018 GOP primary all 1,500,000

2018 Dem primary all 1,000,000

Still 1,800,000 2014 general votes on the board with voter growth/death rate favoring Dems over the past 4 years. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

On 5/16/2018 at 11:07 AM, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Lets make fun of Cruz's looks! That is all we have because he is going to smoke Beto badly!

On 5/16/2018 at 2:18 PM, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Such a fool I am, for not buying into the liberal hysteria, any day now Cruz will be upended by some liberal douche named Beto... LOL

On 5/16/2018 at 2:44 PM, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

I dont, I look at issues individually and logically, and more times than not, I find myself aligning with conservative economic principles, and some of the Republican and liberal social policies. So I typically vote Republican because I dont find liberal gun grabbing/abortion loving/social welfare spending/etc. to be a viable campaign platform to get my vote. 

Why don't you go rape your mom. And your dad.

My dad and stepmom came up for my fiancee's graduation.  Big time republicans, heavily involved with all the area state and national congressmen for decades.  They saw the Beto sticker on my bumper and mentioned that they were voting for him.  Something something, can't stand Ted Cruz, sending a message to the Republicans that they need to get the Tea Party scumbags out of there.

Do I think Beto will win?  I think it's unlikely.  I think it's more likely now than it was several months ago.  I'd be surprised if it was an absolute blowout, but I guess we'll see.  Win or lose, Ted Cruz will still be a piece of shit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Didn't the Republicans have like half a million more votes in their primary? Where does the Democrat candidate make up that gap for the general election?

Since this is a mid-term the voter pool is big enough it is a matter of percentages relative to the 2016 election. 20% swings happen when 70% of one party vote and 50% of the other vote relative to the presidential year. That is what happened in Alabama.

A 5% swing though could happen solely due to conservatives and independents turning away from Cruz.

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If Texas voters had any sense he should.  But there’s a lot of you running around voting.  

It’s your misfortune Rocko isn’t still here because now you’re the biggest waste of time on this board. 

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Right this minute, I’m working on solving a problem that you wouldn’t even think of.   It doesn’t involve disabling golf carts, entry gates or dip cups.  

That’s actually pretty funny. Right now I’m putting together lineups for my son’s flag football games tomorrow. Spring Super Bowl. Watching the Nelson, about to go hit golf balls. And currently dipping. 

I think Beto can win, but more importantly, the issue is the cocktail that is created in each district.  In my district, I think there are a number of moderates who will vote for Beto.  Not enough to get over the hump. 

But we also have a loon named Don Huffines running for state office, and boring lockstep Pete Sessions for US Congress, and taken together I think that there will be a good number of Dems who will come out, especially if Colin Allred wins the Dem primary to take on Sessions.

I don't think that the Dems could find a better headliner than Beto (okay, I wish he was a hunter and a veteran, but you can't have everything).  That's going to help.  If he can get some traction with hispanics, he's going to start getting some serious momentum.

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Is Ted Cruz a conservative?  Why does he keep voting for expanding the federal government, insane budget deficits, allowing private companies to sell my browsing history/internet habits to  the highest bidder, against net neutrality etc...?

Because he’s Republican. They quit being conservative long ago. 

11 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Is Ted Cruz a conservative?  Why does he keep voting for expanding the federal government, insane budget deficits, allowing private companies to sell my browsing history/internet habits to  the highest bidder, against net neutrality etc...?

Ted Cruz is a self serving dipshit.   I don’t care if he’s a Canadian Cuban or an Albanian Orangutan. He doesn’t serve the people of Texas and for that alone he should hit the fucking road out of DC.  

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 11:12 PM, F250 said:

Until proven otherwise, I assume any statewide office will be won by the Republican nominee.  Believing this, I have always voted in the Republican primary no matter my view of the upcoming general election, since it seems to be the only vote that matters.  The fact that anyone bothered to vote in the Democratic primary always surprised me.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns

26 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Until proven otherwise, I assume any statewide office will be won by the Republican nominee.  Believing this, I have always voted in the Republican primary no matter my view of the upcoming general election, since it seems to be the only vote that matters.  The fact that anyone bothered to vote in the Democratic primary always surprised me. 

I can see why someone would vote in the democratic primary - other non-statewide offices, be it for President or more local offices such as dogcatcher.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There are counties in Texas where Democrats don't even offer up candidates in the local races.  Democratic Primary numbers aren't going to be particularly useful.

This. For the last 5-6 elections there hasn't been a local Democrat run for anything around here. You vote in the Republican primary or you don't vote. This most recent one actually had a Democrat running for County Commissioner. He'll get buried in the general election. 

What's funny is that if Cruz loses, a big part of it will be because of that one time he did a decent thing and told the Republican National Convention to vote their conscience, instead of saying vote for Trump.  I could see a lot of Trumpsters still being pissed about that, even if he did bend the knee shortly after. 

Edited by Tuco

Beto reminds me of a statesman, not a politician.  I see Mr Smith goes to Washington vividly.  But I also see some Teddy Roosevelt in him with his reaching out to the public, fighting for the little guy.  

One of the things that I hope they consistently hit is where the funds are coming from to finance both campaigns.  Beto is not taking any PAC or special interest money, whereby Cruz is funded nearly completely by sources such as that.  

We have reached a point in our governance again much like the turn of the 20th Century, where both parties were doing nothing, and doing it slowly.   Big money was running things and it was Roosevelt who had the capacity through charisma and tenacity to stand up and make some needed changes.   He wasn't perfect, he didn't do everything right, but what he did he did out of conviction of helping this country as a whole, not just select groups of it.  Personally, I think we find ourselves right back in that sort of mess. 

Whether Beto wins or not, what he is doing is reminding us that we as American citizens have the right to higher standards, and there are those still brave enough to stand up for them.   I've never contributed to a political campaign until now and I get a feeling that many more like me are "'getting woke" and seeing races like his as a way out of the apathy we have been lulled into.  Hopefully it is not too late.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Beto reminds me of a statesman, not a politician.  I see Mr Smith goes to Washington vividly.  But I also see some Teddy Roosevelt in him with his reaching out to the public, fighting for the little guy.  

One of the things that I hope they consistently hit is where the funds are coming from to finance both campaigns.  Beto is not taking any PAC or special interest money, whereby Cruz is funded nearly completely by sources such as that.  

We have reached a point in our governance again much like the turn of the 20th Century, where both parties were doing nothing, and doing it slowly.   Big money was running things and it was Roosevelt who had the capacity through charisma and tenacity to stand up and make some needed changes.   He wasn't perfect, he didn't do everything right, but what he did he did out of conviction of helping this country as a whole, not just select groups of it.  Personally, I think we find ourselves right back in that sort of mess. 

Whether Beto wins or not, what he is doing is reminding us that we as American citizens have the right to higher standards, and there are those still brave enough to stand up for them.   I've never contributed to a political campaign until now and I get a feeling that many more like me are "'getting woke" and seeing races like his as a way out of the apathy we have been lulled into.  Hopefully it is not too late.

I re upped my registration to vote after years of apathy.  I am an old Reagan guy but this shit has gone to far.

Besides we need some balance.  I miss the old Bentsen Grahm combo.

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What?  Cruz received 4.5 million votes.

I believe he is referring to the runoff, where Cruz got 631,812 votes. Which, as we all know, is what decided that race as the Democrat in 2012 didn't have a chance.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:18 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

If he thought it would help him get votes, Ted Cruz would perform abortions with coat hangers made from melted down assault rifles seized during government raids. He stands for nothing, he has no fucking spine.

Trump publicly clowned on Cruz  for months, accusing him of lying, calling his wife ugly, and linking his father with JFK's assassination. Cruz ultimately decided to swallow Trump's cock and balls rather than risk his political future. He's everything that's wrong with politics today, and yet the GOP can't get enough.

Dont know that Beto will win this election (i think he has a chance), but I'll give no fucks when the GOP's reign comes to an end in Texas. Promoting that smug Canadian pussy is one of many reasons why.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2018 at 8:12 PM, RayDog said:

The substance of the debate won't matter. Cruz will still look like an asshole and Beto will still come of as a guy the guys would want to have a beer with, and the women would want to fuck after having a beer with him.

Someone long ago told me to never trust anyone with thin lips. 

2 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

More and more Beto yard signs popping up in western round rock and cedar park. Could mean nothing, but I can’t remember seeing anything like this for a dem before.

I have noticed a lot more myself in the Pflugerville area.

17 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

One day this might matter half a shit, but for now everyone talks about punishing those that take big money but very few actually follow through with it.

It's the same deal with Congress having a 20% approval rate but incumbents win 99.9% of the time.  All talk... no follow through from the peasant class.

• Like 1