2019 RB Derrian Brown

texifornia

• 1 month later...

From Anwar

Spoiler

As we discuss the running backs who have dealt with injuries this season, there has not been a lot of attention devoted to freshman running back Derrian Brown, a young man every Longhorn observer is rooting for.

Brown reportedly had a blood clot in his brain, which required emergency surgery earlier this year. He had to endure rehabilitation for months, but eventually graduated from high school. Brown did not enroll in school at Texas until fall classes began, and the plan is for him to redshirt this season.

I have seen Brown on the sidelines during games, or walking out of practice. Brown is always in his No. 24 jersey, and he wears a smile on his face. I decided to check in with my sources this week to see if there was any news related to Brown’s health.

According to my sources, Brown is currently focused on the classroom, and his speech therapy treatment. Those are the main goals of 2019 for Brown.

In addition, I was told UT’s doctors have not given Brown the green light to resume physical activity. I am not talking about physical contact on the football field. Instead, I am referring to Brown being able to lift weights and run. The doctors are taking a very cautious approach with Brown for obvious reasons.

One source informed me the earliest Brown might be cleared is in January when Texas begins winter conditioning. Idealistically, a person who endures Brown’s medical condition will not resume rigorous physical activity for one year, which would be January 2020. However, that is the ideal date. The doctors in Austin will ultimately determine when they believe it is safe for Brown begin training for football again.

Until that occurs, Brown will focus school and speech therapy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

From Anwar

Hide contents

As we discuss the running backs who have dealt with injuries this season, there has not been a lot of attention devoted to freshman running back Derrian Brown, a young man every Longhorn observer is rooting for.

Brown reportedly had a blood clot in his brain, which required emergency surgery earlier this year. He had to endure rehabilitation for months, but eventually graduated from high school. Brown did not enroll in school at Texas until fall classes began, and the plan is for him to redshirt this season.

I have seen Brown on the sidelines during games, or walking out of practice. Brown is always in his No. 24 jersey, and he wears a smile on his face. I decided to check in with my sources this week to see if there was any news related to Brown’s health.

According to my sources, Brown is currently focused on the classroom, and his speech therapy treatment. Those are the main goals of 2019 for Brown.

In addition, I was told UT’s doctors have not given Brown the green light to resume physical activity. I am not talking about physical contact on the football field. Instead, I am referring to Brown being able to lift weights and run. The doctors are taking a very cautious approach with Brown for obvious reasons.

One source informed me the earliest Brown might be cleared is in January when Texas begins winter conditioning. Idealistically, a person who endures Brown’s medical condition will not resume rigorous physical activity for one year, which would be January 2020. However, that is the ideal date. The doctors in Austin will ultimately determine when they believe it is safe for Brown begin training for football again.

Until that occurs, Brown will focus school and speech therapy.

idealistically?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He should focus on school and helping the team from the sidelines.  He has a bright future.  No need to risk his health.  

I don't think the doctors would allow him to risk his health. If it's safe for his brain health to play, then I'd love to see him doing what he loves to do.

That picture of him smiling in the locker room is golden. 

Edited by RomaVicta

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Here is the quote:

"Derrian is getting better," Herman said Wednesday afternoon. "He was cleared for physical activity so he's actually doing some modified workouts right now. He's still going to speech therapy a couple of times a week, but he's doing really well in all of his classes."

giphy.gif

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You're right - you apply for the medical after your normal eligibility has been exhausted.

Not anymore.  You apply after you miss your second year.  That changed somewhere between older Shipley and Irby.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...