2019 RB Derrian Brown

texifornia

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

what if I already have?  or does it only count if I post it here?

People are copycats.  If they know others did something they are often more likely to do it to. So people post what they did because they want others to do it too.  Is that a hard concept to understand?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EE2B said:

It’s CaringBridge. I logged in and there was another update on Darrian. Apparently he is responding to commands, but remains intubated. Sounds like he needs all the prayers he can get.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd say that "responding to commands" this soon after brain surgery is great news.

I'd welcome any of the doctors on here giving more input. (I have not idea what a "normal time table" would even be.)

Too much swelling can injure the brain and kill the patient. If everything went well, the reason for his continued intubation is likely to wait a few days sedated most of the time for his risk of herniating his brain to go down. When he can do more than the basic tests like holding up fingers, it can be determined how much rehab he needs and what his long term prognosis is.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Here is the last update from about 10pm last night:
Update: Derrian is doing very good tonight. He made his momma so happy, I walked into his room to say goodnight and he was raising his arm, and leg. And those BIG!!! bright eyes was looking at me.emoji7.pngemoji7.pngemoji7.png just made my night!!! I love you DB#3 #DerrianStrong

I don't know anything about anything, but this sounds friggin' great. 

• Like 1

Update from this afternoon:
Derrian continues to fight like the champ he is. His swelling looks better today. Still following commands. He is even blinking once for yes and twice for no!! They will do a procedure in the morning to check his heart out thoroughly. So prayers that all goes well with that!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EE2B said:

Derrian continues to fight like the champ he is. His swelling looks better today. Still following commands. He is even blinking once for yes and twice for no!! They will do a procedure in the morning to check his heart out thoroughly. So prayers that all goes well with that!!

Great to hear he continues to do well. Checking the heart would usually mean the clot was arterial (much like a lot of strokes in older people) and that an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) is being done to see whether there is clot in it which supplied the chunk(s) found in the brain. The fact that they have waited to perform it tends to suggest that the study is trans-esophageal (probe down the throat to get it close to the heart).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, EE2B said:

My heart sank when I read the part about the blinking. When you are celebrating blinking, this is some terrifying ****. I am just hoping this young man gets to lead a normal life. Even if he can't play football, I hope we find a way to get him a scholarship and to let him get a degree. 

• Like 3

Update from this morning:
Good morning, update on Derrian, he had a good night, swelling went down alot from surgery they will be removing his chest tube today along with trying to decide on removing the tube from his mouth. The test on his heart isn't showing anymore than what we was told about it which is a GREAT THING. He has those BIG bright eyes open and watching every move. Continue to pour on thoses prayers. #DB3 STRONG

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Update from this morning:
Good morning, update on Derrian, he had a good night, swelling went down alot from surgery they will be removing his chest tube today along with trying to decide on removing the tube from his mouth. The test on his heart isn't showing anymore than what we was told about it which is a GREAT THING. He has those BIG bright eyes open and watching every move. Continue to pour on thoses prayers. #DB3 STRONG

Chest tube? This suggests a collapsed lung and I'm having a difficult time finding how this happened, unusual for a seizure to be traumatic enough to cause such an injury, but not unheard of.

Granted, none of that matters, good news, hope the kid gets extubated today successfully.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How about his chances for a full functional recovery such that he would be able to live a normal life, including attending Texas as a student?

Holy fuck dude. Yes we all get it. Clearly that is priority number 1 and always will be. Stop being a bitch. 

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:
22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How about his chances for a full functional recovery such that he would be able to live a normal life, including attending Texas as a student?

Holy fuck dude. Yes we all get it. Clearly that is priority number 1 and always will be. Stop being a bitch.  

Lol that hoping "for a full functional recovery" and a "normal life, including attending Texas as a student" makes one a bitch.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Lol that hoping "for a full functional recovery" and a "normal life, including attending Texas as a student" makes one a bitch.

LOL at allowing the thought police to beat down a football related question on a fucking football board. But by all means, go ahead and grandstand. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

LOL at allowing the thought police to beat down a football related question on a fucking football board. But by all means, go ahead and grandstand. 

Yeah I don't think wondering about football when that's the kid's favorite thing to do and the prism through which all of us have known him makes one some kind of monster.

• Like 1

i think we should do that thing that schools do with sick kids where they put him on the field and give him the ball and point to the endzone and everyone runs next to him clapping and pretending like they're chasing him and then they carry him off the field like a champion

oh man that would be something else

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

i think we should do that thing that schools do with sick kids where they put him on the field and give him the ball and point to the endzone and everyone runs next to him clapping and pretending like they're chasing him and then they carry him off the field like a champion

you son of a bitch.  almost fell out of my chair laughing. 

here's hoping for continued success in the recovery phase...

20 minutes ago, Foosters said:

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

@Magus Ossis You were right on in your evaluation. Now that there was no more clotting in the heart found and he tentatively seems on the road to recovery, does that do anything for his long term prospects to play again or will it likely still represent too much of a risk due to meds etc.?

Doing anything again will depend on what kind of shape his brain is in. Even if everything is good, he will likely need a fair bit of rehab. I have only seen reference to one leg moving. Assuming his brain is OK, he will likely need to be on anticoagulation/blood thinners for a while. He will probably get worked up for residual risk factors. If a year has gone by, he is doing well, and no risk factors for recurrence are found, he might be taken off anticoagulation and allowed to participate.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Chest tube? This suggests a collapsed lung and I'm having a difficult time finding how this happened, unusual for a seizure to be traumatic enough to cause such an injury, but not unheard of.

Granted, none of that matters, good news, hope the kid gets extubated today successfully.

If he coded, he might need a chest tube for injuries from compressions. “Chest tube” may also be used here rather loosely to refer to a large central venous catheter. I would think the latter is more likely.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

He'll keep his scholarship

I doubt that was ever in question.

If he makes it the the University and can't play he will be a medical retirement.  If he can play obviously he has a FB scholarship.  Either way, Derrian Brown has a full ride waiting for him at Texas.

Another update for today:
Update! Chest tube is out! Swelling is going down, he is mostly breathing on his own right now. The machine is set to only breath for him if he doesn't do it himself. But so far he is doing it! Praise God! #DB3 Strong!!!

• Like 3