Fire Chip Kelly

Michael Knight

12 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Your move, @Landomatic

Zero fucks given if they keep him or fire him.  Not really sure why we’d even have a fire him thread on a UT board, especially not started by Bruin, but whatever.

Still think he was a good hire.  It’ll take him more than 3 games to turn shit around.  Firing him after 3 games is dumber than firing Herman after a year and two games.  But that’s all pretty obvious.  So, what’s your question?

3 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

I remember his first game at Oregon when they lost to Boise and that one guy punched one of the Broncos after the game and everyone thought Chip was in over his head.

Ole Legarrete Blunt. Turnt into a bad ass RB in the NFL with the Patriots. That team was awesome on the NCAA video game too with Darron Thomas and Lamichael James and Kenyon Barner.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

He's always been a long-run coach. He changes so much about his programs that it takes a bit to get going.

Year 2 and 3 will tell the story.

He has?  The only place he's had any sustained success he was already a member of the staff.  Any other place where he's come on as the HC, he hasn't made it through year 3.

There's 7 more possible losses on the schedule.... This is looking like a really tough year for him and the Bruins.  Only other comparable scenario would be SF.  He didn't see year 2.  He will in LA.

Watched the OU/UCLA game.  Chip is still running the same offense he's ran the past 10 years and OU teed off on them every single play.  They knew exactly what was coming.  Five sacks in the first half and the OU defense looked like the 2001 Baltimore Ravens.  OU isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse, either.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Zero fucks given if they keep him or fire him.  Not really sure why we’d even have a fire him thread on a UT board, especially not started by Bruin, but whatever.

Still think he was a good hire.  It’ll take him more than 3 games to turn shit around.  Firing him after 3 games is dumber than firing Herman after a year and two games.  But that’s all pretty obvious.  So, what’s your question?

Yeah I think he'll be fine, but this is definitely a rough start. 

He needs to hire some ace recruiters, because it sure seems the rumor of him not liking to recruit is looking true. 

Oh man, the whole crazy uniform thing back at Oregon is starting to make sense. If Chip could get five star guys who grew up in the LA Coliseum parking lot to leave South Central and join him in Oregon but now he can't get them to travel across town. Obviously it was the uniforms up in Eugene. There is only one solution: total-insantiy-do-anything-to-land-a-recruit uniform designs for UCLA.

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Kelly, Frost, Morris, Taggart...combined record so far of 2-9.  They must all suck as coaches and should all be fired.

surly gonna surly

Kelly and Frost are most surprising to me in terms of the talent I'd think they inherited and the way they're losing games so far. 

Good reminders that even good coaches need a while to make a team theirs.  Kelly I mostly believe is a good coach (slight concern that he could only continue what was in place at Oregon and won't be able to recreate it) but Frost is definitely good.  Will be interesting to watch how long it takes him to turn it around there. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Kelly and Frost are most surprising to me in terms of the talent I'd think they inherited and the way they're losing games so far. 

Good reminders that even good coaches need a while to make a team theirs.  Kelly I mostly believe is a good coach (slight concern that he could only continue what was in place at Oregon and won't be able to recreate it) but Frost is definitely good.  Will be interesting to watch how long it takes him to turn it around there. 

We thought the same about Charlie.  Amazing how a few key players at critical positions (Teddy B, for example) can make or break a coach.  Coaching @ NU is not the same as Texas, but it's not easy either.  Especially for a prodigal star who had so much fame as a player, then caught lightning in a bottle in FL, then comes home to a big set of coaching challenges.  NU has been wandering the wilderness for a hell of a lot longer than we have ever since we had them get rid of partial qualifiers.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

We thought the same about Charlie.  Amazing how a few key players at critical positions (Teddy B, for example) can make or break a coach.  Coaching @ NU is not the same as Texas, but it's not easy either.  Especially for a prodigal star who had so much fame as a player, then caught lightning in a bottle in FL, then comes home to a big set of coaching challenges.  NU has been wandering the wilderness for a hell of a lot longer than we have ever since we had them get rid of partial qualifiers.

What gives me the most hope for Frost is that he lacked the single difference maker like you mention at ucf.  I didn't watch them often, but from what I did, that was just a really well coached team. 

It reminded me the most of when Petersen was at Boise and they'd take on big name programs.  There was never a single player that left you in awe, just a bunch of really well coached guys getting it done.

After Charlie, I'm much more skeptical of hires like this if they didn't have multiple years of starters getting it done or if they had a game changing talent like Bridgwater at qb/rb.  Frost doesn't have the longest resume, but his team looked complete and well coached in what I watched. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, orangebird said:

Between UCLA's struggles and the Condoms' meltdown this year, it must be some pretty lean times to be a college football fan in SoCal these days.

Oh well, at least you have the weather going for you out there.

It's almost as if Herman is recruiting California hard on purpose..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

i agree with you in that Frost certainly appears to be a very good coach, but McKenzie Milton is a very good player and definitely a difference maker.

I remember being very impressed with him, but not thinking he was carrying the team along with him the way some players do.  I only watched a few games, though. 

To think that Bridgewater was one of the best qbs in the country under Sean fucking Watson tells me all I need to know about his insane talent. 

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Frost inherited a roster that was light on QBs. One of his two transferred on not winning the starting job. The other is out hurt. He did not have an actual scholarship QB available against Troy. Our own QB depth has been bad, but wow.

Didn't know this.  Makes a lot of sense.  Wonder how the backup feels about the transfer now? 

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Sometimes it takes a few years to implement your system, unfortunately most coaches don't recover from historically bad years at P5 jobs.

Edited by HtownHorn

13 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Watched the OU/UCLA game.  Chip is still running the same offense he's ran the past 10 years and OU teed off on them every single play.  They knew exactly what was coming.  Five sacks in the first half and the OU defense looked like the 2001 Baltimore Ravens.  OU isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse, either.

Defenses have adjusted with the 4i tite front. A lot of teams running that scheme as spread based offenses are becoming the norm.  

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Three games is too soon to call it a failure, but things could not be going worse.  The season is lost. 

Our QBs dad ranted on Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DoriansDAD/status/1041504726745935872

Player dad or mom rants are often the confirmatory signal that the player is a major douche.

Having  your parents fight your battles will lead to your mailing address being their basement, even though you own the Xbox .

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Three games is too soon to call it a failure, but things could not be going worse.  The season is lost. 

Our QBs dad ranted on Twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DoriansDAD/status/1041504726745935872

Take the boat out. I’ve heard that the canvas can do miracles. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Frost inherited a roster that was light on QBs. One of his two transferred on not winning the starting job. The other is out hurt. He did not have an actual scholarship QB available against Troy. Our own QB depth has been bad, but wow.

That's not actually 100% accurate.  He inherited a roster that had 3 scholarship QB's and 1 incoming freshman scholarship QB.  One left for the NFL early, one transferred in the spring.  The last one was most costly, as it happened 5 days before the first game (which to date has not been played).  There is currently 1 scholarship QB and 2 walk-on QB's.  

As it was, there were 4 and each was in a separate class with good spacing.  Now they're all freshman.  They have 2 QB's committed, one for each of the next 2 classes.

12 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

That's not actually 100% accurate.  He inherited a roster that had 3 scholarship QB's and 1 incoming freshman scholarship QB.  One left for the NFL early, one transferred in the spring.  The last one was most costly, as it happened 5 days before the first game (which to date has not been played).  There is currently 1 scholarship QB and 2 walk-on QB's.  

As it was, there were 4 and each was in a separate class with good spacing.  Now they're all freshman.  They have 2 QB's committed, one for each of the next 2 classes.

As I understand it, Nebraska had three scholarship QBs in 2017, of whom one (Lee) left to play in the NFL, essentially before Frost arrived. Another, O'Brien, left in the spring for CSU because he didn't see himself as a fit in the new NU system. This left 1 of the 2 returning scholarship QBs (Gebbia) plus the true Fr Martinez. Gebbia left the team when he learned he was not going to be the starter, just before the season. That left only Martinez, who got hurt early, leaving 0.

I guess one could argue about how thin the QB room Frost inherited was, but to my thinking he did not inherit Lee-- that guy was pretty much already gone. He inherited exactly one non-freshman scholarship QB, one who was loyal enough to NU to stick around approximately 3 months. In any event, it is not pretty now.

On 9/17/2018 at 7:33 AM, trza-hawk said:

Oh man, the whole crazy uniform thing back at Oregon is starting to make sense. If Chip could get five star guys who grew up in the LA Coliseum parking lot to leave South Central and join him in Oregon but now he can't get them to travel across town. Obviously it was the uniforms up in Eugene. There is only one solution: total-insantiy-do-anything-to-land-a-recruit uniform designs for UCLA.

Oregon was buying players. They got in trouble for some of it. That’s how he got people to come to Oregon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

As I understand it, Nebraska had three scholarship QBs in 2017, of whom one (Lee) left to play in the NFL, essentially before Frost arrived. Another, O'Brien, left in the spring for CSU because he didn't see himself as a fit in the new NU system. This left 1 of the 2 returning scholarship QBs (Gebbia) plus the true Fr Martinez. Gebbia left the team when he learned he was not going to be the starter, just before the season. That left only Martinez, who got hurt early, leaving 0.

I guess one could argue about how thin the QB room Frost inherited was, but to my thinking he did not inherit Lee-- that guy was pretty much already gone. He inherited exactly one non-freshman scholarship QB, one who was loyal enough to NU to stick around approximately 3 months. In any event, it is not pretty now.

Lee  didn't declare for the draft until the end of December 2017 and Frost was hired at the beginning of December.  Honestly it doesn't mean a gotdamn thing because again, I'm almost 100% sure there was no way he was going to stay in an offense that was not suited for his skills.

There were two names that were discussed in the spring in regards to an upper classman coming in and those were Terry Wilson, the kid that beat UF last weekend, who had committed to Oregon while Frost was still there and also Burrow who's got family ties to Nebraska.  I think Frost wanted to show loyalty to the youngsters and not bring anyone new in.  Admirable, but now you see where it's gotten him.  I doubt he does that again.

• 3 weeks later...