Improvements USC Game for Players & Coaching

LTtxfan

Here's an idea to get thoughts going on good things from USC Game, and focusing a little on improvement items...... Put on Burnt Orange Glasses and answer 3 Questions:

1) Name 1 thing  that a player(s) did better in USC Game?

2) Name 1 thing a Coach(es) did better in USC Game?

3) Name 1 thing to improve for TEXAS to Beat TCU?

I'll start....

1) Players were flying around and having fun.

2) Coaches did not punish players for 1 mistake... ex. Danny Young fumbles, but is brought back in and played better.

3) Beating TCU..... Tackling well and need to create more turnovers

Have Fun adding more items to this list....  HOOK'EM

Edited by LTtxfan

1) Players.... Enjoy seeing younger guys contribute like Caden, BJ, Cosmi, Dicker and Josh Moore.

2) Coaches... They had better use of Tight Ends in passing game

3) To Beat TCU.... Use RBs and screens more in passing game.

Edited by LTtxfan

1) Players played confidently.  Looked like they were really into it.  Stuff the run.

2) Kept going deep to stretch the field.  

3) Need to get better on stopping 3rd downs. Need to not take senseless penalties like delay of game coming out of a TV timeout.

• Like 1

Blocking fucking kicks and punts used to be a thing at Texas. We need more of that, we never go after punts even when they are pinned. I guess its risky for penalties buttfuck!

1. Defensive line was playin awesome, stopped the fuck outta the run.

2. They still called those fuckin QB keepers and sweeps in must have situations. Dumbfuck trick plays. And roll out left passes. Not much counters or zone-cutback blockin. But anyhow the playcalling was better because they ran the fuckin ball.

3. Keep runnin the fuckin ball. Maybe change the tempo by using pistol or taking a fucking snap from under center for once. 

Oh, and two back formations. Danny Young has turned into a violent fullback, so let him lead block. You can still run lead option and speed option but swap out Beck for Danny and have two guys with Sam.

Edited by Zavala

1) Players: offensive line in the 3rd quarter after the blocked return: like sharks with their eyes rolled back in their heads, they were working in the coal mine, going downtown.

2) Coaching: the team could have folded down 11; i'll give you the credit for that; the team could have repeated the Tulsa 3rd quarter; i'll give you credit they didn't.

3) Horney Toads: no clue.

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Blocking fucking kicks and punts used to be a thing at Texas. We need more of that, we never go after punts even when they are pinned. I guess its risky for penalties buttfuck!

1. Defensive line was playin awesome, stopped the fuck outta the run.

2. They still called those fuckin QB keepers and sweeps in must have situations. Dumbfuck trick plays. And roll out left passes. Not much counters or zone-cutback blockin. But anyhow the playcalling was better because they ran the fuckin ball.

3. Keep runnin the fuckin ball. Maybe change the tempo by using pistol or taking a fucking snap from under center for once. 

Oh, and two back formations. Danny Young has turned into a violent fullback, so let him lead block. You can still run lead option and speed option but swap out Beck for Danny and have two guys with Sam.

Great stuff "Zavala".... several of your comments now have me thinking.... lol

1) Players... Enjoyed K.Boyd "ballin' out" and quickness/speed of pursuit by Defense.

2) Coaching.... Dang Oline seems better prepared and they stuck with running the ball..... Big Uglies love run blocking

3) For TCU.... Stop them on 3rd downs.  They are a rhythm offense, so have to limit them from sustained drives. (Was a problem on USC's first couple drives)

1) Players.... have to appreciate LJH's efforts so far

2) Coaches... Liked better use of Up-Tempo on Offense and did better job of getting playcalls into Sam quicker

3) For TCU... Sam/Coaches have to better identify what TCU defense is doing and take advantage. (During USC game, HORNS had favorable numbers in  a few formations and open WRs that were missed opportunities)

1 minute ago, TtomTerrific said:

Chris Nelson played like a full grown man...

Agree on the field goal in the first quarter...it not only kept us from losing all momentum, but it gave our kicker confidence to have the game he ended up having...very good coaching

Stop rolling Sam to the left...for the love of God

For the Love of God..... YES!!!

1) players - to me YAC means two things yards after catch and yards after contact; the players mostly capitalized on both of these on offense. On defense, they were physical and unrelenting and it showed; looking at total rushing defense and keeping USC's most dynamic receiver out of the end zone as well as forcing turnovers. Special teams played probably their best game of this decade.

2) coaches - they made in-game adjustments on both sides of the ball and utilized the new kicker appropriately to get him adjusted to the game. If he hadn't attempted and made that 20 yard fg in the first quarter, he might've been looking at the other 46 yard attempts with a whole different outlook, especially the one to end the first half to go up by 2.

3) roaches - the third phase of the game must be emphasized as it historically has been at Texas. If you can win this phase of the game, it sure makes the other two a lot easier to swing in your direction. I hope the Herman and Naivar really bring this home with the team this week to show how they can overtake any opponent and put it to good use and squash these bastards and send them back to the hole from whence they came.

• Like 1

Players - Everyone seemed to play looser this game. You could tell they were ready and it showed. Now we need to carry that through for the next few weeks and we should be solid.

Coaches - I have no doubt that Herman was calling plays against USC, or at least most of them. The offensive gameplan was cohesive, and we didn't give up on the run game and that payed dividends in the second half. 

TCU - We need to establish the run or else we will get blown out. Again. 

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Players - Everyone seemed to play looser this game. You could tell they were ready and it showed. Now we need to carry that through for the next few weeks and we should be solid.

Coaches - I have no doubt that Herman was calling plays against USC, or at least most of them. The offensive gameplan was cohesive, and we didn't give up on the run game and that payed dividends in the second half. 

TCU - We need to establish the run or else we will get blown out. Again. 

We benefited mightily from a bad, one-dimensional, USC team.  Taking care of business was needed, and ultimately completed.  But initially on, the game was painful.   Sam was slow and pedantic.  With his reads and runs.  I have little faith we're going to establish a consistent running game against TCU.  They are also too fast for Sam to get to the edge and turn up-field.  Unless Texas can start to exploit the middle of the field and punish what I'm expecting to be a relentlessly attacking TCU defense to try and rattle Sam, I'm worried.  Screen, picking up the blitz, recognizing coverages.  We'll see.  

The final score wasn't indicative of how close that game was.  And TCU's defense was just flying to the ball.  We all know they are going to sell out to stop the run, contain Sam in the pocket, and force him to make reads and throws.  I"m just hoping we mix in some plays to punish early blitzes that I"m expecting to see.  

5 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Elijah Rodriguez at C was a HUGE improvement. Accurate snaps and maulin bitches all night. 

Agreed. This new lineup may have been the one HH needed all along. I knew this guy was gonna make a difference, Auburn O line was good for 5 yards a carry anytime.

6_8242234.jpg

1) Players... Seemed like better "Player Leadership" in USC game.  Read somewhere that players  on Offense challenged themselves to score on opening drives of both the 1st and 2nd half.  

2) Coaches... Starting to better understand what the current Roster can do (Not a fan of Roll Left passing plays so far though).  Seemed like calls by Coaches both  on Defense & Offense were executed better.

3) For TCU... Get off to a Better Start.  Can't get down 14-3 against horny toads or else may not be able to recover.

Edited by LTtxfan

Pass blocking is at a level we haven’t seen in some time. Blitz pickup is solid. Need to see TE work the middle more , the play to Beck was good but he looked stiff , need a better athlete ASAP at that position though Beck is a plus in the experience /leadership   Aspect. 

• Like 1

hate to nibble at the margins but if the double end around reverse throw/lateral to Sam had gone south we could very well be having a different conversation this morning.  who the hell called that play?  Wasn't it on a 3rd and 2?  Can't recall....

Edited by gecko

Players:  Our offensive line looked average to kinda good, which is a huge improvement.  I was worried how they would match up against the USC front seven and they more than held there own and really helped us eat up the clock in the fourth quarter.

Coaches:  I'm guessing Herman took over primary playcalling duties, at least in the second and third quarters, and told Beck to sit in a corner and read a book.

Improvement for TCU:  Sam's going to need to be more accurate against the Frogs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Agreed. This new lineup may have been the one HH needed all along. I knew this guy was gonna make a difference, Auburn O line was good for 5 yards a carry anytime.

6_8242234.jpg

Herb sure seems like a player's coach.... Probably a huge help for providing more  improvement and hopefully confidence in the OLine group.  

1) Players.... Calvin Anderson's play thus far, and probably his maturity has been a big help for OLine Group.

2) Coaches... Starting to be less concerned playing younger players.  So glad to see contributions from 2017 & 2018 Classes... Having Josh Moore on field for huge TD catch in 3rd quarter was a game changer.

3) For TCU.... "Focus Daniel-san".... Can't Play Scared and must be Prepared.  This will be a physical game with "Highs and Lows".  Keep your composure and limit mental mistakes and penalties. 

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Players:  Our offensive line looked average to kinda good, which is a huge improvement.  I was worried how they would match up against the USC front seven and they more than held there own and really helped us eat up the clock in the fourth quarter.

Coaches:  I'm guessing Herman took over primary playcalling duties, at least in the second and third quarters, and told Beck to sit in a corner and read a book.

Improvement for TCU:  Sam's going to need to be more accurate against the Frogs.

It was probably this one:

51qOKx2IPbL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

2 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Was USC really one-dimensional on offense or did the Texas defense completely stop the run and make them one-dimensional?

Their offense is limited.  They have been suspect running the ball.  Both Texas and Stanford curtailed what they could do.  They have a talented young QB that throws a great deep ball and not much else.  I give Texas credit for dictating the game, but with a stationary young QB that seemed easily rattled, this isn't an offense that is going to do much to you.  I saw a lot of quit in that USC team after the safety-call.  They wilted.  Texas has got to start stronger.  Did we ever get an answer why the team came out with such a fast-paced, tempo offense and then just stopped?  

13 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Was USC really one-dimensional on offense or did the Texas defense completely stop the run and make them one-dimensional?

I think it's a little of both.  They abandoned the run when the game was still close.  I don't know how many rushes their RBs had but it wasn't many. 

Beating USC was a nice win, and certainly better than the alternative.  

But we're still not a very good team.  Sam just isn't accurate...and I've never felt accuracy is something you improve on quickly.  You either have it or you don't, and he just doesn't have it.  How many outs do we have to see that are underthrown/overthrown?  He self-sacked a few times, and if not for the superior effort of guys like Duvernay and Moore, none of his long passes are being caught.  

Shutting us down is pretty easy.  There's nothing we do well on offense.  The play calling was still bad, but since we had the ability to run, it didn't matter as much.

I'm only slightly more optimistic coming out of the USC game, and most of that has to do with hopefully having a kicker, and Sam's deciding to run more.  

The two things that are most important on offense...our quarterback and our coordinator...just aren't good enough for us to win the Big XII.  

• Like 1

1) Players:  Cut down on stupid penalties.

2) Coaches: Stayed with the running game and tested the deep ball on passes. 

3) For TCU: Use 3 personal protectors on punts. (Elephant)  Yes, it hurts the punt coverage a bit but the punter will be much better if he does not feel rushed. 

Edited by Iguana

1) CJ9 blocked really well.  To be fair though, I think he always been able to get to safeties on run plays.   It's the WR screens he struggles with.

1) Brutal run defense.  We dominated the LOS.

2) More zone coverage, better disguised blitzes.  This was a strength of our team last year.

2) Ran the ball over and over and over.  Clearly the strength of our offense.  Multiple back formations - we need to keep that up.

2) USC forced this issue, but quicker passing concepts on passing downs.  Middle of the field was open and we took it all game. Counted on YAC to get the hard yards.  It wasn't Sam or the OLs best performance, but we made it work.

3) Stop blowing coverages.

Something Sam did a couple of times that he also did against Maryland and Tulsa was move his backfield protection away from an overloaded defensive pressure.  It's obviously setting up a potential QB Iso, but we have yet to actually capitalize.

• Like 2

I'm looking for continuous improvement from OL.  this is the key to getting back to where we used to be.  nothing else comes close.  with this type of defense, Sam and Shane are serviceable 10 win QB's with a running game and some decent protection. OL looked very good but I'm just now sure how good USC is at this point.

They can not put Sam in a position to make game changing mistakes in our own end.  still struggles with when to live another day, get rid of the ball.  needs work on climbing the pocket more.  Its there he just doesn't feel it.

Lets shelve the double pass/trick plays for now and get the ball to Johnson and LJH.  

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

1) CJ9 blocked really well.  To be fair though, I think he always been able to get to safeties on run plays.   It's the WR screens he struggles with.

I came to post this.   He did much better on the screens.

I disagree about the middle of the field comment though.  We have seldom hit any crossing or slants.   Maybe they are holding off on that? 

26 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I came to post this.   He did much better on the screens.

I disagree about the middle of the field comment though.  We have seldom hit any crossing or slants.   Maybe they are holding off on that? 

Seemed like every moderately distanced 3rd-down to me.  We ran less shallow cross mesh, but more slants, drags, and inside stops.  Maybe it just feels like that because we actually converted a few.

3 hours ago, Iguana said:

1) Players:  Cut down on stupid penalties.

2) Coaches: Stayed with the running game and tested the deep ball on passes. 

3) For TCU: Use 3 personal protectors on punts. (Elephant)  Yes, it hurts the punt coverage a bit but the punter will be much better if he does not feel rushed. 

All 3 solid points..... Glad less penalties for HORNS in USC game.

Special Teams will play an important  factor in TCU game.