Improvements USC Game for Players & Coaching

LTtxfan

So today I'm drinking the Kool aid and a few beers - here's my hope.  TH has been installing the overall playbook piecemeal to put it all together for conference play - his number one priority this year.

Sam needs more reps than the average QB to shut his brain down and play.  You don't get into McCombs by being stupid.  Some high achievers tend to over think the fuck out of situations until they can let go and execute.  I think that's Sam.  

I was a Shane backer and hope him the best.  Herman's going all in on Sam.

Hook 'em.

Crush the roaches

31 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

What they did against SC will work just fine against TCU

If Texas walks into the TCU game with this attitude the horns might lose by 4 or 5 touchdowns. They can beat TCU but they will need to play at a level we haven’t seen them play at this year. Or TCU will have to play like dogshit.

1) Players.... Brandon Jones was leading tackler and flying around including tackle on goal line stand.  (Keep working on improving skills when ball's in the air BJ..... should have intercepted pass he mistimed  his jump on)

2) Coaches.... Like their effort to push the ball down the field more  which helps open up passing lanes and the running attack.  Time for Mensa to find holes in horny toads Defense....

3) For TCU.... Really interested in how Orlando defends "toads" after Roach injury and losing BJ for first half due to targeting penalty.  Hope to see improved pass rush on Saturday...

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

1) Players.... Brandon Jones was leading tackler and flying around including tackle on goal line stand.  (Keep working on improving skills when ball's in the air BJ..... should have intercepted pass he mistimed  his jump on)

2) Coaches.... Like their effort to push the ball down the field more  which helps open up passing lanes and the running attack.  Time for Mensa to find holes in horny toads Defense....

3) For TCU.... Really interested in how Orlando defends "toads" after Roach injury and losing BJ for first half due to targeting penalty.  Hope to see improved pass rush on Saturday...

Lol. Keep going. You’ll have this figured out for everybody. Thanks for asking though! 😎

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If Texas walks into the TCU game with this attitude the horns might lose by 4 or 5 touchdowns. They can beat TCU but they will need to play at a level we haven’t seen them play at this year. Or TCU will have to play like dogshit.

They are going to have to play at a level they havent played at in a few years to beat TCU and the coaches are going to have to bring their A game as well.  Its time for Hermann to put up or shut up and come up with a great game plan for the offense.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

There are a lot people scared of TCU on this thread. They are a very good team, but don't remember when they've been great. We just need to bring our best, which is always in question. Time to exorcise that demon.

Edited by ckhorn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

There are a lot people scared of TCU on this thread. They are a very good team, but don't remember when they've been great. We just need to bring our best, which is always in question. Time to exorcise that demon.

You don't have to be a great team to beat Texas anymore. Look at what TCU has done to us the past 4 years. Add in the fact that they looked pretty damn evenly matched with OSU most of that game, and that's why people are "scared". 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You don't have to be a great team to beat Texas anymore. Look at what TCU has done to us the past 4 years. Add in the fact that they looked pretty damn evenly matched with OSU most of that game, and that's why people are "scared". 

So we have Mack Brown posting under several user names. Okay Mack.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, jw4381 said:

Tell you what I didn't like: no Buechele in the 4th quarter. 

werd iz themensa and buechele have a deal... if ellinger goes down, buechele burns his shirt no questions asked... if buechele doesn't have to play, he gets to grad-transfer in december (yes somehow he's bagged the hours in 6 semesters, don't see how but that's the rumor)..... with a grad transfer and a red-shirt he gets 2 years instead of 1?  something like that.

48 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

werd iz themensa and buechele have a deal... if ellinger goes down, buechele burns his shirt no questions asked... if buechele doesn't have to play, he gets to grad-transfer in december (yes somehow he's bagged the hours in 6 semesters, don't see how but that's the rumor)..... with a grad transfer and a red-shirt he gets 2 years instead of 1?  something like that.

He can play in up to four games and still redshirt, so assuming this deal even exists, it would only be an issue if Sam missed more than four games. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, jw4381 said:

Tell you what I didn't like: no Buechele in the 4th quarter. 

Meh, that does nothing for us at that point. We know exactly what he can be at his best and worst. If we are riding Sam then give him all the game experience possible, he needs as many snaps as he can get. If he gets hurt, we know exactly what we have in Buechele and we eliminate the qb runs which will hurt our offense.

A lot of things improved but I liked the attitude of the players/coaches most of all.

1. Reduction in mistakes.

2. Better game plan or willingness to change in the middle of the game..instead of just going off of a script.

3. Dicker the Kicker!!

Edited by RowdyVic

On 9/17/2018 at 10:15 AM, BabaYaga said:

Their offense is limited.  They have been suspect running the ball.  Both Texas and Stanford curtailed what they could do.  They have a talented young QB that throws a great deep ball and not much else.  I give Texas credit for dictating the game, but with a stationary young QB that seemed easily rattled, this isn't an offense that is going to do much to you.  I saw a lot of quit in that USC team after the safety-call.  They wilted.  Texas has got to start stronger.  Did we ever get an answer why the team came out with such a fast-paced, tempo offense and then just stopped?  

They wilted after the failed 4th and 1 in the second quarter. Look, a big win was needed, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. But that is a bad, bad SC team. Their young QB showed promise, and given time he will get even better. But he had little help from neither the running game nor his coaching staff.

The Texas defensive game plan was pretty simple. Give up the 5 and 6 yard plays to shut down any big play on the perimeter. The place the biggest plays happen in the college game. It was sitting there most of the night. The only thing required was some patience by the SC defensive staff. So either the SC brain trust have falling totally in love with the young kids arm strength, and believed it was only a matter of time before he hit a big one. Or they failed to recognize that the center of the field would be productive. I’m going with some of the former, and a shit load of the latter.

You can bet your ass TCU (and all of the big 12 teams for that matter) won’t ignore the center of the field for very long. Should Texas deploy a similar defense. Though I seriously doubt they will. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

1. Sam made better decisions with the ball and ran more. 

2. Stuck with the running game and it was consistent.

3. Special teams, special teams, special teams.... cannot stress this enough

#3 is a critical area to improve vs TCU for punt protection and coverages of both Kickoffs & Punts....

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

TCU- 3 of our top 5 or so performances in the Herman era have come against a team wearing a red/yellow uniform combo.

Equipment managers need to get sneaky and do work pre game to pull the old switcheroo on TCU jerseys.

Like what happened in the movie "Dodgeball" ....  🤣

On 9/19/2018 at 3:21 AM, Hamttx said:

The Texas defensive game plan was pretty simple. Give up the 5 and 6 yard plays to shut down any big play on the perimeter. The place the biggest plays happen in the college game. It was sitting there most of the night. The only thing required was some patience by the SC defensive staff. So either the SC brain trust have falling totally in love with the young kids arm strength, and believed it was only a matter of time before he hit a big one. Or they failed to recognize that the center of the field would be productive. I’m going with some of the former, and a shit load of the latter.

You can bet your ass TCU (and all of the big 12 teams for that matter) won’t ignore the center of the field for very long. Should Texas deploy a similar defense. Though I seriously doubt they will. 

So your thought as a offensive coordinator is to try and hit the gap between Caden Sterns and PJ Locke or Gary Johnson?

Edited by JBJ