Who is the best singer-songwriter

52-80

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

You mean the least talented Highwayman?

Arguable, but more importantly, silly to argue.  That's like saying Gary Larsen was the least talented Purple People Eater, since Alan Page, Carl Eller, and Jim Marshall were more badass.  OK, sure, I guess.

(Personally, I'd put Kristofferson at the top of The Highwaymen, but that's a different argument.)

• Like 1

Arguable, but more importantly, silly to argue.  That's like saying Gary Larsen was the least talented Purple People Eater, since Alan Page, Carl Eller, and Jim Marshall were more badass.  OK, sure, I guess.
(Personally, I'd put Kristofferson at the top of The Highwaymen, but that's a different argument.)

Agreed re Kristofferson.

I mean is there anybody who has done what he’s done?

Texan
Phi Beta Kappa
Rhodes Scholar
Army Officer / Helicopter Pilot
Singer / Song Writer of Some of the best country songs written
Actor
Rita Coolidge

I mean he’s lived a life any of us would love to have.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

Agreed re Kristofferson.

I mean is there anybody who has done what he’s done?

Texan
Phi Beta Kappa
Rhodes Scholar
Army Officer / Helicopter Pilot
Singer / Song Writer of Some of the best country songs written
Actor
Rita Coolidge

I mean he’s lived a life any of us would love to have.

He could definitely pen lyrics but his voice was friggin' terrible.  I mean, ya, he was technically singing but he sounded like he had a mouth full of gravel and gargled brake cleaner.

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was just being a facetious jackass. I'm not going to seriously argue against the talent of Kris Kristorfferson. 

I would add Allen Toussaint to this list. From the 50's until he died in 2015 he wrote some great songs, mostly made famous by others but had a substantial solo career. I really regret not seeing him at the Paramount in Austin about a year before he died. Too many artist to list, but his songs were covered by a wide range of people.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's been told many times.  Look up "Paul Simon" "Los Lobos" "Graceland".  The little fucker is a thief.

Los Lobos ?  The 80's band . He's been around a lot longer than that. The Graduate soundtrack would be a career for many.  Simon and Garfunkel defined the late 60's for song writing to many. Not many other popular songs written for movies have crossed over to popular song play lists.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Los Lobos ?  The 80's band . He's been around a lot longer than that. The Graduate soundtrack would be a career for many.  Simon and Garfunkel defined the late 60's for song writing to many. Not many other popular songs written for movies have crossed over to popular song play lists.

Hey, I'm shocked you can't imagine a shitbag who stole a song from what was quite literally the best band in America couldn't have possibly stolen songs before.

EDIT:  eh, fuck it.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1