Who is the best singer-songwriter

52-80

I not watching all these videos that aren't embedded but...

They're still covering songs from Hank Williams, Jimmy Rogers, Lefty Fritzell, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed, and BB King.

Robert Zimmerman, aka, Bob Dylan, won a fucking Nobel Peace Prize for his songwritting.

Neil Young is one of my personal favorites.

Gram Parsons ignited whole new genre, and took the Byrds from Psychedelia to Country along the way.

Townes Van Zant has been mentioned and is worth mentioning again. Same with Tom Petty.

Some of the post-Beatles John Lennon stuff, like "Working Class Hero" is incredible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is a true fact.  If you haven't seen them live, you're definitely missing out.

They are definitely a talented band and put on a great show. Saw them for the 1st time at the old Austin Aqua Fest and was blown away. Their cover of Bertha on the Grateful Dead Tribute Album is really good. 

As mentioned upthread there are so many talented people listed it's trivial, but fun, to state who is the best.

• Like 1

Agreed re Kristofferson.

I mean is there anybody who has done what he’s done?

Texan
Phi Beta Kappa
Rhodes Scholar
Army Officer / Helicopter Pilot
Singer / Song Writer of Some of the best country songs written
Actor
Rita Coolidge

I mean he’s lived a life any of us would love to have.

Meh on Texan. He was born in Brownsville but was primarily raised in CA, including high school and college.

CSB: Rita Coolidge lived here locally for a long time, and was well-known for trying to be "normal".  She performed at a few benefit shows and that sort of thing, but she was said to be very approachable at the grocery store, gas station, etc.  I never had an encounter with her, but I know people that did and they all said she was very nice.