9.17.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

Team notes from IT

Real quick. We're expecting bad news on Malcolm Roach. Look for Jeffrey McCulloch to see his snaps increase significantly in Roach's place. We'd be surprised if Keaontay Ingram was able to play versus TCU. Shackelford is likely still out. I'd red-shirt him and let E-Rod play out his senior year. Ta'Quon Graham might be out as well, but we're not sure. He hyper-extended his elbow and had an MRI. Not sure of those results. DeMarvion Overshown may return to practice this week but he wouldn't be ready to play. With BJ Foster out for the first half versus TCU that puts Chris Brown at Joker but we'll probably see nickel more than anything.

Sunday was a short practice. They worked on corrections like they do after every game. They also had an introduction to what TCU is. The feeling is this is a much more dangerous offense than the one they just faced. Guys are excited and they think the physical team wins. There big back, Sewo Olonilua, only plays big if he has success. Hit him in the jaw and he starts to hesitate. They know TCU quarterback Shawn Robinson presents more problems than JT Daniels because he's a great athlete while still having a strong arm.

Overall the sense of the team I get from the Saturday win was relief. I think Omenihu's reaction to his sack strip summed it up for everyone. Herman, like many coaches, is hard on his team after wins and loves on them after losses. On Sunday he was trying not to get too high after the win but there was a little bounce in his step. We'll see if it's a true turning point for the team or just a win to build slowly off of.

Edited by satyanash

6 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

He'd be a fool not to try the jet sweep.  Seems to be the defenses kryptonite....  

USC tried it the first play of the game and somebody (Locke?) came up and made the tackle for no gain.  I think they only tried it one other time.  Their offense seemed to consist of just letting the gunslinger chuck it up for grabs to #8 and hoping he would make a play.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Kurt digging into the QB situation...I'm guessing he's heard some rumors about Shane's plans and trying to dig...?

I assume the plan is for Shane to redshirt and then grad transfer unless Ehlinger gets hurt.  Doesn't do Shane any good to burn up a year of eligibility now that Ehlinger has won (and is holding) the starting job.

off topic, I tried listening to the bottom line because of the win vs USC..Holy Shit that guy who replaced Sean Adams is TERRIBLE. I thought he was just an interim co-host, he sounds like he swallowed a toad and his best points are ad-libs every time Chip makes a point.  I know it's my fault yada yada yada FCB

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I assume the plan is for Shane to redshirt and then grad transfer unless Ehlinger gets hurt.  Doesn't do Shane any good to burn up a year of eligibility now that Ehlinger has won (and is holding) the starting job.

If true, that all depends on Sam's health.  If he gets another concussion or other injury, Herman will play Shane over a true freshman, no matter how that impacts Shane's future eligibility.