9.17.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, TheFlagship said:

When GJ and Wheeler are the backers, it will be very difficult for teams to have success in the run game, including jet sweeps. As we saw against Maryland though, there’s not much depth behind them

GJ, Wheeler, Shark, Adeoye, Ossai and Overshown when he gets back should be fairly solid provided we don't have another injury. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

GJ, Wheeler, Shark, Adeoye, Ossai and Overshown when he gets back should be fairly solid provided we don't have another injury. 

Hard to evaluate that depth when three of those guys haven't played a snap of college ball (or maybe two of those guys -- it's possible that Ossai saw action, but I've been too drunk to remember).

26 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

The defense improved when Roach went out, he's so out of position it hurts the defense, sucks he's hurt but he should be in Hager's spot to start with.

agreed that I'd rather have him in Hager's spot.  Start McCulloch and have Dele and Ossai backing him up

Edit to add: I'd put Hager in on clear passing downs just to run free at the qb

Edited by CowboyFred
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Hard to evaluate that depth when three of those guys haven't played a snap of college ball (or maybe two of those guys -- it's possible that Ossai saw action, but I've been too drunk to remember).

Ossai has played for sure. What I'm not sure of is if it's only been special teams.

Edited by Huckleberry

If we see Saturday's team, we win by >10

if we see week 1 or 2 team, we lose by >21

There really isn't a team on our schedule who I think can out athlete us aside from USC and OU, though we can be out schemed. TCU has to be at the top of the list of who can out coach us on O and D while also not being far behind in talent.  Now if we can just play near our potential every week...

USC has a top 5 recruiting average over the past 5 years.  Holy shit their coaching is bad though on both sides of the ball.

Is there another job out there where you can make that much money yet be so incompetent?  

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

If we see Saturday's team, we win by >10

if we see week 1 or 2 team, we lose by >21

There really isn't a team on our schedule who I think can out athlete us aside from USC and OU, though we can be out schemed. TCU has to be at the top of the list of who can out coach us on O and D while also not being far behind in talent.  Now if we can just play near our potential every week...

USC has a top 5 recruiting average over the past 5 years.  Holy shit their coaching is bad though on both sides of the ball.

Is there another job out there where you can make that much money yet be so incompetent?  

If you don't think TCU has athletes you haven't watched them play.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Domedriver said:

We might have issue with Coach Patato but I like beating USC and I am ok now.  Bevo BLVD and stuff might make me buy tickets again.

Hook’em FUCKING HORNS and beat the ever living shit out of toad!

I’m pretty sure Coach Potato was Charlie Strong

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

I know, but I'd rather have Shane instead of a true freshman, even if Shane really is a short-timer.

While you always need quality QB play. After the okst. Game i dont think we would be hurt overly much by playing the freshmen. We need Shane for.the next 4 games  for a quality backup. 

Shane gets his RS. Our Frosh get playing time. And Shane gets to bounce with 2 years of eligibility. We all win. 

11 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Texas?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Modessit said:
3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:
Maybe not the right place for this, but just saw Edith Royals film piece during"Rewind With Tom Herman"....all I can say is it gave me goosebumps, God Bless Edith Royal.

If it's the 900th win thing, they aired it on LHN during the postgame.

I think that may be it.  Stumbled into it but do remember 900 being mentioned 1-2 times?

8 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

That would suck. I guess TT has Bowman and Baylor has Brewer, but would not want to see him go sling it as OU. Might just have to root for his decapitation by Marquez Bimage. 

Think it's more likely he would go sling it for Giblet at USF.

• Like 1

Think it's more likely he would go sling it for Giblet at USF.

As this thread tends to meander around after the day of the press conference, here’s a fun fact and a blast from the past . . .

Speaking of USF, they face ECU on Saturday as Coach Strong goes against his former Texas commit Tim Irvin who flipped last minute to Auburn then transferred to ECU. Was part of “the Florida 5” from that class.

Recap of those recruits and where are they today?

1- Devante Davis: starter for Texas

2- John Burt: on the Texas roster and dealing with injuries to start this season. Track star.

3- Devo Clarington: been all over the Juco landscape, currently playing ball in northern Minnesota.

4- Gilbert Johnson?

5- Cecil (I demand my favorite #) Cherry?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2896252/florida_five_jpeg.0.jpg

35 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

As this thread tends to meander around after the day of the press conference, here’s a fun fact and a blast from the past . . .

Speaking of USF, they face ECU on Saturday as Coach Strong goes against his former Texas commit Tim Irvin who flipped last minute to Auburn then transferred to ECU. Was part of “the Florida 5” from that class.

Recap of those recruits and where are they today?

1- Devante Davis: starter for Texas

2- John Burt: on the Texas roster and dealing with injuries to start this season. Track star.

3- Devo Clarington: been all over the Juco landscape, currently playing ball in northern Minnesota.

4- Gilbert Johnson?

5- Cecil (I demand my favorite #) Cherry?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2896252/florida_five_jpeg.0.jpg

Charlie wasn't a bad recruiter though, just horrible at development. Also, going to Florida, you just ain't gonna get the top-tier guys because you are competing with Gators, Semiholes, Hurricanes ect...

We need to win Texas, keep guys from going to blow U and Bama.