2018 ACL Music Festival

South Austin

Yeah, I went to like the first 4-5 then it got too big or whatever.   This time I'm in.  Gotta see him once more 'afore he croaks. He'll be 76 at concert time.  Of course I hope he lives a long, long life, but man, you never know.  Maybe with all the hooch he's toked in his life he'll still be running around onstage like Willie, and Willie has had a joint in his time, I believe.

and i don't even really care about mccartney...i never used to go for the sunday headliner. the national, chvrches, st vincent, sylvan esso, manchester orchestra, the wombats, the breeders, parquet courts, and yeah, even metallica are big enough draws for me

• Like 2

I would LOVE to see Macca, but I'll wait until he hits COTA or ACL Moody and drop $200 per ticket instead of seeing nothing from several hundred yards away.  It's just not a good concert experience, unless you're there for the crowds (and I do know plenty of people love that aspect, so I'm not criticizing).

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would LOVE to see Macca, but I'll wait until he hits COTA or ACL Moody and drop $200 per ticket instead of seeing nothing from several hundred yards away.  It's just not a good concert experience, unless you're there for the crowds (and I do know plenty of people love that aspect, so I'm not criticizing).

Old man yells at crowd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

There's a dozen down list bands that I'm interested in.  Not a bad line up this year to my tastes.

yeah, pretty much all my complaints regarding last year's lineup have been addressed. my personal taste is very featured in this year's lineup, and that's why i pulled the trigger after five years or so of not going

In the past it's been pretty easy to find some wristbands for cheap from scalpers on fridays. With McCartney and the other big headliners will this still be the case or do I need to get a ticket in advance?

Edited by Viper

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Shit. I hate festivals but I've never seen Paul McCartney and there is a 98% chance this will be my last chance to see him. FUUUUUUCKKKKKK

His current band is the shit.  They've been together a long time now and it shows.  I've seen him half a dozen times now and the last 2-3 were the best.  

Guest Lobo

Thunderpussy never strikes the same dick twice.  Or so it has been explained to me by a urologist.  

Hopefully Baylor will be doing shitty and it's an early home game so one could attend both the game and the festival.  

Already genuinely curious is they put McCartney on by himself or if there's dueling closers on Sunday.  

Much of the lineup is beyond my age, but at least it seems to be less EDM/iPod heavy than in recent years.  Which is nice. 

Guest Lobo

Only downside to weekend 2 versus weekend 1 is not Greta Van Fleet.  Otherwise, given a good possibility of an early game versus Baylor...I'd say we're in business

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Thunderpussy never strikes the same dick twice.  Or so it has been explained to me by a urologist.  

Hopefully Baylor will be doing shitty and it's an early home game so one could attend both the game and the festival.  

Already genuinely curious is they put McCartney on by himself or if there's dueling closers on Sunday.  

Much of the lineup is beyond my age, but at least it seems to be less EDM/iPod heavy than in recent years.  Which is nice. 

Re: edm- look again. This lineup is very edm/hip hop heavy. 

51 minutes ago, coolsax said:

Usually if i go its for a one day tickets so, just need to see how the days will break down.   Mostly likely would look at going whatever night Metallica is playing as long as it isn't Friday.

Almost guarantee Metallica will be Friday. They’ve been booking the rap/EDM stuff on Saturdays more the last few years as that day has the biggest crowds of kids, so Gambino gets Saturday and that leaves only Friday for Metallica. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

Almost guarantee Metallica will be Friday. They’ve been booking the rap/EDM stuff on Saturdays more the last few years as that day has the biggest crowds of kids, so Gambino gets Saturday and that leaves only Friday for Metallica. 

This. Also, Saturday will sell out regardless of who is headlining so no reason to bust their load with the expensive acts that don't play every festival.

I'm guessing that McCartney will be on Sunday evening, which is usually when my lame-ass is heading out after three days of drinking in the sun.  I'm going to have to pace myself, and probably plan on going into the office late on Monday morning, just to see Paul. 

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm guessing that McCartney will be on Sunday evening, which is usually when my lame-ass is heading out after three days of drinking in the sun.  I'm going to have to pace myself, and probably plan on going into the office late on Monday morning, just to see Paul. 

Cien por ciento this.

I heard a caller on Jeff Ward's show yesterday saying that Macca at a festival would still be fantastic, especially once you get well over 100K people singing along to "Hey Jude".

That I can believe.  Might change my mind on this one.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I heard a caller on Jeff Ward's show yesterday saying that Macca at a festival would still be fantastic, especially once you get well over 100K people singing along to "Hey Jude".

That I can believe.  Might change my mind on this one.

I've looked at some of his festival setlists on setlist.fm and surprisingly they look like his full show(approx 36 songs).  If, and I know it is a big if, they give him a slot to do the full show in a festival atmosphere you wont want to miss it.  I'm wondering if he says I'll do the festival but it has to be the full show.  The fact the guy does 2.5 to 3 hour shows at his age shows you how much he wants the fans to have an experience.

even in the sterile atmosphere of the Drum it was amazing. best $300 I ever spent for a concert.