2018 ACL Music Festival

South Austin

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I'm guessing that McCartney will be on Sunday evening, which is usually when my lame-ass is heading out after three days of drinking in the sun.  I'm going to have to pace myself, and probably plan on going into the office late on Monday morning, just to see Paul. 

This right here.  Also planning on letting my 10 year old stay out there with me for Sir Paul.  BFD as Joe Biden would say.

I haven't been since like 2004, but this is the first time I'm really thinking about it.  Headliners are damn good, the other bands read like a KUTX playlist I've actually heard of (likes me some Alvvays), and my 13yo has decided he's into Metallica.  

My younger one turns 11 a few days after weekend one, so I should be able to get him in free, correct?  How much of a clusterfuck is this thing these days with kids?  I grow into more of a misanthrope with every passing year -- is there room anymore to park yourself comfortably away from the stage and still hear anything?

And how long to I have to perseverate about this until 3-day passes sell out?

Edited by Damor
muledick

On 5/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, Chad Fuck said:

There's a dozen down list bands that I'm interested in.  Not a bad line up this year to my tastes.

this is what i am usually looking for. what acts specifically are you most interested in?

David Byrne, Chvrches, St. Vincent, Sylvan Esso, Hozier, Father John Misty, Brandi Carlisle, Janelle Monae, Shaky Graves, Lily Allen, The Breeders, Houndmouth, Parquet Courts, and, of course, Asleep at the Wheel.  That's just the top half of the list.  I have a few more months to sort out the bottom.  I'll have plenty to see there, I'm sure.  

I saw Father John Misty at ACL two years ago.  It was a really good show, but as I recall it was a lot earlier in the day than I would have expected.  Apparently, the chicks really dig him, because he drew a heavy female crowd (and heavy as in % of total crowd population, not heavy as Vic Mackey likes them).

Look, for all of you on the fence, go see McCartney and David Byrne. 

I missed several McCartney tours because of my jaded "oh, what's the encore going to be" mentality.  I finally saw him in 2013 and was in tears it was so good.

As for David Byrne, he's incredible  I've seen him three times in the last fifteen years and he never disappoints or, frankly, repeats what I saw before.

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

I saw Father John Misty at ACL two years ago.  It was a really good show, but as I recall it was a lot earlier in the day than I would have expected.  Apparently, the chicks really dig him, because he drew a heavy female crowd (and heavy as in % of total crowd population, not heavy as Vic Mackey likes them).

Can confirm.  I saw him at ACL and also at Bass with my female friend (no pics).  They fucking swoon.

Found this ACL 2018 playlist on google music:

https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXymCqFZQu_SvwJytw8pspa46LdOK5YgANStj2A0xMskcaVAZmxDSKTKTxR0T2cyIa8upgYti-z242W827J_zXeK8jTCDWw%3D%3D

and this one on spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1254067643/playlist/7rZWMbrgWGtZsYG6SL0ArS

and holy crap, Greta Van Fleet. I had to do a double check that Robert Plant didn't have some new band I hadn't heard of.

On 5/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, dcbc said:

Look, for all of you on the fence, go see McCartney and David Byrne. 

I missed several McCartney tours because of my jaded "oh, what's the encore going to be" mentality.  I finally saw him in 2013 and was in tears it was so good.

As for David Byrne, he's incredible  I've seen him three times in the last fifteen years and he never disappoints or, frankly, repeats what I saw before.

Saw David Byrne recently on this tour and he was awesome.

• Like 1

Saw McCartney in Sydney, Australia (humble brag) in December. Had low expectations. Thought he would just pack it in to make some bucks. But the show was incredible. One of the best I’ve seen. You can tell when an artist loves playing to a live audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, Viper said:

Found this ACL 2018 playlist on google music:

https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXymCqFZQu_SvwJytw8pspa46LdOK5YgANStj2A0xMskcaVAZmxDSKTKTxR0T2cyIa8upgYti-z242W827J_zXeK8jTCDWw%3D%3D

and this one on spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1254067643/playlist/7rZWMbrgWGtZsYG6SL0ArS

and holy crap, Greta Van Fleet. I had to do a double check that Robert Plant didn't have some new band I hadn't heard of.

Yeah I remember being turned on to Greta Van Fleet a while back.  Amazing how much it sounds like Plant/Zep.  Bummed they're weekend one only as I'll be going weekend two because of Texas/OU.

Edited by LonghornSean

• 2 months later...

Will be curious to see which mid-bill bands are playing Saturday-Weekend 2 before 4:30p.  Might just have to skip the Baylor game/group rape altogether.  I can't see a way Baylor isn't on at 11:00/11:30a.  St. Vincent will likely be the band right before Metallica.  The Breeders, Trampled by Turtles, Durand Jones & The Indications, Curtis Harding, Ikebe Shakedown, and Charley Crockett.  Those are my must-see Saturday bands.   

Good news is a busy Friday and Saturday may wipe an old man like me out, and Sunday's lineup (at least for me) isn't that alluring.  May trade my Weekend 2 Sunday for somebody's Weekend 1 Friday and double-dip for McCartney (that's what she said).  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this schedule is looking as conflict free as the child diamond miner we bought from Senegal.  Did stand out as curious that David Byrne is on so early in the day. 

Not my cup of tea anymore, but I did think only 90 mts. for Metallica was odd, figured they'd be a two-hour slot for sure.  Not much to miss on Saturday from 11-3p, which is good because that's like the Baylor game timeslot.  

On 5/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, Tired of Lurking said:

My headliner predictions:

Fri - Metallica vs. Travis Scott
Sat - Gambino vs. Arctic Monkeys
Sun - Macca vs. Odesza

Looks like I was practically right on pairings (though the Travis Scott/Justice WK 1v2 fliparoo is kinda weird) just wrong on days.

Schedule is pretty good for my tastes. Only like three conflicts for me.

3 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Got my St Vincent and National late night tix

Thought I was signed up for the early tickets but guess not. Wasn't planning to buy today anyway, so I guess it's no big deal.

How much did those run? And do you mind looking up the Alvvays and Lisa Loeb tickets for me, too? Appreciate it if you (or anyone else) can.

• 1 month later...