"you can't count on a black quarterback"

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Since they don't even play football,  I guess there aren't any at all...

And there's this...

https://schools.texastribune.org/districts/onalaska-isd/

Nine? As in 9 blacks in the whole district? Holy shit, I thought I had it bad growing up. We were like Jack Yates, compared to them.

It amazes me, but I guess it shouldn't, that not only is this type of thinking still out there but people "accidentally" post it on social media. A few years ago my boss was a UT grad (he was probably in his late 50s/early 60s) and said this exact quote to me when we we talking about Texas football. I politely told him Vince Young would disagree with him and his response was that Vince didn't make it in the NFL... There's no winning an argument with people like this.

Dude was a huge ass hole and I was very relieved to be laid off with a nice severance a short time later. 

10 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I understand. We don't even have a stoplight in my hometown. But we still had between 30-40 black kids in school. Plenty of classes where I was the only one. Can't imagine being the only one in the building.

I didn't go to school with a non-white until 8th grade.  Then my head football coach was black.  He also taught American History.  Our boys dean was black( cool as hell, but also a hardass;)  and suddenly, miraculously, teammates riding home in our car were black and about half of the mofos I had at the house were black.

World kept turnin...but I will admit, i thought I was gonna get my ass beat all the time for being white.   Never happened.

This is the closest I will ever come to having "white guilt" but i hate it when someone in my family or community says something like this dipshit in the OP did.  People are fucking people. period.  I don't believe in the extra crutches, the race baiters, or other bullshit like that.  Conversely, I also hate it when people can't get past their own fears/ mentality and look at others for who they are.

Done preachin.  Sorry for rant.

10 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

It amazes me, but I guess it shouldn't, that not only is this type of thinking still out there but people "accidentally" post it on social media. A few years ago my boss was a UT grad (he was probably in his late 50s/early 60s) and said this exact quote to me when we we talking about Texas football. I politely told him Vince Young would disagree with him and his response was that Vince didn't make it in the NFL... There's no winning an argument with people like this.

Dude was a huge ass hole and I was very relieved to be laid off with a nice severance a short time later. 

You were an assistant coach for the Titans? Fisher was a Trojan 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

What the fucking fuck did this fucking fucker think he would un-fuck with this "I didn't mean to post that publicly" fuckery? I mean goddamn, what the shit?

Super Bowl 22 on Jan 31, 1988, Elway's Broncos were favored by three over the Redskins.  But then the black quarterback Doug Williams happened in the 2nd quarter where he goes 9 of 11 passes for 228 yards and 4 touchdowns; Smith rushed 5 times for 122 yards and a touchdown; and Sanders caught 4 passes for 168 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Redskins scored 35 points and gained 356 yards in total offense, both Super Bowl records.

And Doug had a root canal the day before the game.  

Edited by LongestHorn
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What the fucking fuck did this fucking fucker think he would un-fuck with this "I didn't mean to post that publicly" fuckery? I mean goddamn, what the shit?

That actually might be the most disturbing part of the story. This guy truly believes that people will accept that explanation because he believes that everyone in his area will think "well yeah, we all say that stuff privately." The question is does he have good reason to believe that. I fear that he probably does, which is why to me it's the most disturbing part of the story. The fact that a racist idiot is superintendent in a place called Onalaska, Texas isn't surprising or even disheartening, especially when you consider it's East Texas. There are racist idiots everywhere and small towns have a bunch of 'em in charge of stuff.

It's more disheartening that he knows there are so many racists in his area that he thinks the fact that he thought it was a private message is a good enough explanation so that it doesn't affect his professional life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Super Bowl 22 on Jan 31, 1988, Elway's Broncos were favored by three over the Redskins.  But then the black quarterback Doug Williams happened in the 2nd quarter where he goes 9 of 11 passes for 228 yards and 4 touchdowns; Smith rushed 5 times for 122 yards and a touchdown; and Sanders caught 4 passes for 168 yards and 2 touchdowns. The Redskins scored 35 points and gained 356 yards in total offense, both Super Bowl records.

Thanks for that paper cut of a memory......

1 hour ago, LongestHorn said:

Ummm black running back Timmy Smith had 204 yards and 2 TDs in that game...

18 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I understand. We don't even have a stoplight in my hometown. But we still had between 30-40 black kids in school. Plenty of classes where I was the only one. Can't imagine being the only one in the building.

I grew up in the rural midwest, and attended a high school with ~ 300 students per grade.  We had one black guy in my class, none that I recall the year after, and one kid the following year, who actually played college football and made it to a strike gig with the Seahawks.

There are whole sections of rural America that are whiter than the average Klan hood.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I grew up in the rural midwest, and attended a high school with ~ 300 students per grade.  We had one black guy in my class, none that I recall the year after, and one kid the following year, who actually played college football and made it to a strike gig with the Seahawks.

There are whole sections of rural America that are whiter than the average Klan hood.

To be fair, there are also large swaths of Houston that are damned near 100% Hispanic or 100% black.

Living arangements don't drive hate, IMHO.  It is learned as hell.