The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Continued.

If your measuring the diameter just measure between the hoops. It will be like 9.5 or whatever. That’s a 10” Tom.

Now depth. Measure from the approximate location of the head to the other. That’s your depth.

What kind of kit? Is it custom made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's some kind of Pearl EXP or some shit.  Brand new tom, never played, mint except for a ding on one rim where a mic stand fell over.  I grabbed it on the cheap for a recording session and didn't use it.  Blue sparkle.  It's not the kind of drum you're probably ever looking for.

Thanks for the lesson on measuring.  My wife said it looked about 18".

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's some kind of Pearl EXP or some shit.  Brand new tom, never played, mint except for a ding on one rim where a mic stand fell over.  I grabbed it on the cheap for a recording session and didn't use it.  Blue sparkle.  It's not the kind of drum you're probably ever looking for.

Thanks for the lesson on measuring.  My wife said it looked about 18".

That's a keeper. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I don't play the drums, but I'm going to have enough room soon to have the full guitar/bass/vox/keys/drums setup. I have a friend or two who can play a little.

Would I be dumb to go grab something like this?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/d/covington-ludwig-maple-drum-set/6845718886.html

As long as the condition is good, I doubt you'd lose money if you decided to sell them later.  The hardware looks double-braced, which is good.  The hardware alone is probably worth $50-$75.  One cymbal is trash (cracked), but the other two (ride + hihats) are probably worth that much as well.  None of it is pro gear but it's perfectly useful.

Offer $300 cash.

I don't play the drums, but I'm going to have enough room soon to have the full guitar/bass/vox/keys/drums setup. I have a friend or two who can play a little.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/d/covington-ludwig-maple-drum-set/6845718886.html

I dont like that set for several reasons, all of which are purely personal.

I do like Ludwig.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking those drums had the wrap taken off of them. I don't recall ever seeing a Rocker kit with a natural finish. If they've had the wrap removed, they don't have much resell value. 

22 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking those drums had the wrap taken off of them. I don't recall ever seeing a Rocker kit with a natural finish. If they've had the wrap removed, they don't have much resell value. 

Looks like you might be right.  A little googling says this is a "thing" -- to take the wrap off Ludwig Rockers.  I don't know if they're worthless, but I'd pass.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 8:10 PM, Handcruser said:

4c0c915f7ae49f9b5e4a0d67c1e0465a.jpg

Changed some heads out tonight....coated emperors.
14x10
16x16
18x16

50 year old shells sound so good. Maybe I’ll post a little sound demo if I have time.

The bass drum is ridiculous sounding. 14x22.

Post the demo! Those look bad ass. As an aside, any advice on tuning? I am working to try and help my son with tuning his. We got one of those tuning devices you set on the head. Every adjustment somewhere leads to another adjustment somewhere else. I feel like we are chasing our tails a bit. 

Nice kit, 'cruser.

topochico, I'm not a drummer, but I've watched plenty of them tune drums.  One trick that seems to help get the heads to settle in without so much tail-chasing is to approach them as one would tighten lugnuts on a wheel.  Don't go around the head one lug after the next -- cross over in an alternating "star" pattern.  (It won't be a star in most cases because not many drums have only 5 lugs, but you get the point.)

I’m not the best to answer this question and there are many different “processes@ so to speak. Everyone has their way of doing it.

Jimmy is right on the star pattern. You never go clockwise or counter.

You also want to make sure you seat the heads well and have them stretch. Some people mess with them before they put them on. I do.

Tighten by hand first. Then apply moderate pressure to the rim around the lug and tighten by hand again. Then and only then use a key.

Once you start with the key, I use a full turn and then half turns. Once it starts sounding like a drum and not like a piece of plastic on top of a couch cushion, your 90% there. Small adjustments (quarter turns) from this point on.

Plenty of vids on YouTube. You’ll get the hang of it.

We do try and follow a star pattern. The main issue is getting one side pretty solid, flipping to the bottom to tune, then the top is out again. Maybe youtube university this weekend... We had them pretty good initially, but he usually plays with mute pads so I think the initial stretch from new was never noticed and they ended up pretty off. We probably need to get them close and make more micro adjustments over time. Appreciate the responses. 

Beware of the rabbit hole . . . you'll end up finding a zillion arguments about whether the bottom head should be tuned higher than, equal to, or lower than the top head.  At that point my eyes cross and I give up.  Pick one -- probably not "equal to" each other -- and try it out.  Try it different another day.  The kid has a lifetime to tweak.

Bonham tuned his a little higher and used thinner heads on the resonant side.

Good enough for me.

Most people never think to change out the resonant head.....just the batter head. They work as a team. You can distinctly hear it if your a professional in a studio. Lol.

• 2 months later...

New shit weekend.

I’ve been wanting to get some 2002’s as just a tonal change from what I have. Sold some stuff at Tommy’s drum shop and had some credit.

2002 big beat 22” ride
2002 big beat 15” hats
2002 10” splash

Then went by a pawn shop and they had these drums for $300, down from $599. Badges still had the safety tape on them. Super nice and tonally different than what I have.

Premier artist birch
14x22
9x13
16x16
18x16
5.5x14

Going to get a 24” ride and 18 and 20 crashes in big beat.

1aea1f7b019d9ad80cc943b32530efe6.jpgbf8e4386ca5991efee200145cb8b22da.jpg645e426be7fa52050ca998e481d9491e.jpg

• Like 1

Well they’re darker.

I have a bunch of za, one zk, and a ton of paiste signatures. All of those are brighter.

I do think the 15” 2002 with sound edge (not big beat) are incredible sounding. I’ll prob get some of those.

I dig them. They’re some good 2002 vs big beat videos out there. I like both, but though These would be a nice compliment to what I currently have.

I also got a new mono cymbal bag. It’s really nice.

I’m probably wrong but I feel like cymbals are similar to guitar amps, in that once the whole band gets going it’s hard to tell much difference. I’m sure there’s a huge difference in a recording setting or a big professional gig, but for your average garage band I’m thinking there’s “crap” (like I currently have) and then “good”.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

1ced6690130226a8c19fbc328fd1df5c.jpg

So.

These sound fucking ridiculous. Just got new heads all around. I should be able to dial them in once they stretch a bit but so far I love the way the sound. Big fan of birch now.

Nice! Quite the pawnshop score. 

Artist birch. Middle of the line if Im correct. Made in England. They eventually sent this line to China I think (somewhere Asian) but the first few years were England.

I called premier this week in England looking for a stock resonant head for the bass drum. They picked up and it was like calling a local business.