The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

Just to answer your question, they're Ludwig Accents - I think it's some sort of poplar 5-ply or whatnot.  Got it for Jr. when he was 10 (he turned out to be pretty dam good drummer, but rarely plays now, though he's expressed desire to play again).  It's just their intro set but IMU(neducated)O really not bad, especially the pedal.  I can see that with some good heads on it it could be a half-decent studio utility set.  Anyway I'm definitely gonna get the new heads and see what comes out.

If nothing else, it's pretty!  (lol!). 

New heads yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

New heads yet?

Heh not yet, had to buy a Hammond C-3 first (lol!) (I'm primarily a keyboardist, then guitarist, then, sort of not-so-Peartgreat-but-okay-drummer).  I'll post that in the studio or somewhere thread today.

I fully intend to get a set though.  Probably within the next month.  When I do I'll put out a phone vid.  But thanks for the good advice.  I think I'm going with the Emperors I think for all, unless for some niche reason the Ambassador works clearly better on the snare.

Eternal question:  do you prefer bottom heads on/off? (If it matters, like more of a fuller classic sound, not jazz or "nuanced").  And if on, do you recommend quality bottom heads as well?  Most drummers I've played with liked 'em off, but that was in the 70's-90's, so I'm not sure if tech has changed so people have them on more.  

My kid is a pretty good drummer, when I get the new heads he'll give 'em a rip.  

Heh not yet, had to buy a Hammond C-3 first (lol!) (I'm primarily a keyboardist, then guitarist, then, sort of not-so-Peartgreat-but-okay-drummer).  I'll post that in the studio or somewhere thread today.

I fully intend to get a set though.  Probably within the next month.  When I do I'll put out a phone vid.  But thanks for the good advice.  I think I'm going with the Emperors I think for all, unless for some niche reason the Ambassador works clearly better on the snare.

Eternal question:  do you prefer bottom heads on/off? (If it matters, like more of a fuller classic sound, not jazz or "nuanced").  And if on, do you recommend quality bottom heads as well?  Most drummers I've played with liked 'em off, but that was in the 70's-90's, so I'm not sure if tech has changed so people have them on more.  

My kid is a pretty good drummer, when I get the new heads he'll give 'em a rip.  

I’d get an ambassador for the snare.

Bottom heads ON!

For studio use, yes I’d put on quality heads on the bottoms as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This doesn't exactly belong here, but whatever.  I think Steve Gadd is my all-time fave.  He is the definition of versatile.  Massive groove, massive taste.  Not really a hard-core jazz guy, not really a hard rock guy, just anything and everything.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two thoughts:
1.  that guy doesn't have a pocket, he has a backpack
2. the bass player is playing a right-handed bass, flipped over left-handed, like Hendrix on guitar

I'm in a project right now where my lefty friend is playing my righty bass that way - he wants to play bass but doesn't own one. Albert King style.

• 2 weeks later...
How does that compare to a Ludwig Black Beauty?

Very similar. I was fondling these 3 at guitar center:
Ludwig black beauty 14x6.5
Dw collectors edge 14x6.5
Dw black nickel over brass 14x6.5

The edge sounded the best. It’s $919. And I already have one.

The other two were very close. Preference kind of thing. But the dw was $450 and the BB was $799. Easy decision.

But if I could only have 1 snare….it would be the edge.

• 2 months later...

Please recommend an electronic set. I'm a guitar player but always enjoyed banging on the drummers kit when he was away. I'm old and retired and would like to use an electronic set for exercise...all drummers work up a sweat, right? More fun than a treadmill, right? Nothing fancy. Easy to break down and store. Recommendations please. 

Please recommend an electronic set. I'm a guitar player but always enjoyed banging on the drummers kit when he was away. I'm old and retired and would like to use an electronic set for exercise...all drummers work up a sweat, right? More fun than a treadmill, right? Nothing fancy. Easy to break down and store. Recommendations please. 

I can’t. I hate them so I pay no attention to them.

Buy the little kit from coachtex.

• 1 month later...
NICE.  My buddy and I went to a big drum store in Dallas back in the 90s and he bought a Fibes kit.  One tom was about as good as I've ever heard, the other was merely great, as was the kick drum.
Good choice on the Black Beauty, too.

Yeah the toms are amazing. The floor toms roar. I also have a matching 18” kick and might break it into two kits - one big and one little bop set up. Right now I’m just focused on dialing it in to have a Gadd-like sound but damn if they aren’t just a little too “musical” versus a Yamaha recording custom tom sound, if that makes sense.

I also have been playing with upsized cymbals all around and 15” hats and the whole thing is just monster sounding.

I also bought a new Yamaha FP9 pedal and that shit is a blast to play.

And the snare’s the third BB I’ve had - there’s a reason they’re beloved. I’d like to get a vintage nickel-over-brass Supraphonic (see Gadd comment above) and I just sold a maple recording custom 6.5” that I kinda miss already. I may use the 5.5” BB as a semi-piccolo now and again.

But all of this is what Reverb was invented for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I’ll play. Austin era Fibes kit I just picked up. Original owner was Dan Tomlinson (Lyle Lovett). It was my unicorn set and sounds real pretty. And I also added a new Black Beauty snare. 
2A624D47-AC6B-4F2F-A621-3331149BABB9.thumb.jpeg.22ff3b63d1f12ee23776d62da435bcbe.jpeg
3A367FEA-AC64-46FC-9A81-8FD98629FF46.thumb.jpeg.4429027e27b6f073c9e303b6bf1c9656.jpeg

Beautiful. I sold a set like that 2 years ago or so (2 up/2 down) that had lived it’s life in a studio in LA. Not a scratch on them. Dark stained set with sparkle inlays on the bass drum hoops. Tommy even remembered that set and told me not to sell them.
  • Like 1

Beautiful. I sold a set like that 2 years ago or so (2 up/2 down) that had lived it’s life in a studio in LA. Not a scratch on them. Dark stained set with sparkle inlays on the bass drum hoops. Tommy even remembered that set and told me not to sell them.

Nice. I love contrasting bass hoops. What’s Tommy up to these days? Any chance for a fibes reboot, I wonder?

Nice. I love contrasting bass hoops. What’s Tommy up to these days? Any chance for a fibes reboot, I wonder?

He’s working on it. I’ve talked to him multiple times about it and let him know I’d help in some capacity.

I’d guess another year or two. He’s got the place, just needs to capital to get things running.

I’m in line for a set.

Not drums pron, but the guy who is the drummer for the group of friends who jam together weekly suffered a massive stroke. Not going well. Please send positive thoughts. 

Sorry to hear about your friend, Deej. Positive thoughts headed your way.

He’s working on it. I’ve talked to him multiple times about it and let him know I’d help in some capacity.

I’d guess another year or two. He’s got the place, just needs to capital to get things running.

I’m in line for a set.

Man, I’d be down to help or support in any way. If things start to percolate, maybe we can be in touch.

Any drummer gift suggestions? Smallish things, maybe $20-$50? SIL's family sent me a gift so we need to figure out something quick for her husband. I don't know what he plays, but..... metal.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Promark/TDSB-Transport-Deluxe-Stick-Bag-1500000038211.gc?source=4WWMWXGL&storeCode=&source=4WWMWXGL&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqvaNBhDLARIsAH1Pq50TW_wjQ75E4urwbmQKl6IqodKIRHjJfaLNI6w9kppfLPC_tS6Pz1saAhpEEALw_wcB
  • Hook 'Em 1

Any drummer gift suggestions? Smallish things, maybe $20-$50? SIL's family sent me a gift so we need to figure out something quick for her husband. I don't know what he plays, but..... metal.

I’ll give it some more thought but maybe a new stick bag or stick holder or some packages of Moon Gels. There’s also a bunch of cool effects cymbal things - google “stack rings” for example but might be pushing the budget a little. I don’t know much about what metal players might want from a sound standpoint. Might be able to get a drum tuner or metronome in that budget range. Maybe a practice pad and stand.

And if nothing else drummers love whiskey.

• Hook 'Em 1