What's the best way to ward off neighborhood cats

52-80

I suspected my wife was feeding a feral cat that I kept finding digging through the trash can for several years.  I left a couple dishes of anti freeze outside and I was cat free for a good two years, until last week.  Now I've caught one snooping around the front bushes (but staying out of the garbage - probably because it's cold).  I may have to resort to my old tricks.

A couple of cats hanging around a farm yard are fine, especially if you have grain storage.  Other than that, fuck 'em.  I guess I've known a few good house cats over the years, but it's just not my thing, and if your cat is wandering into my garage and trying to get into my sealed garbage bins, and scatter garbage all over my driveway, I'm not ok with it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

• 2 weeks later...

crazy that in Crestview/Brentwood area of Austin, there's a coyote or two who are regulars to the neighborhood. many cats have gone missing including my neighbor's. i can understand if we lived in the hills with plenty of greebelt and places to hide, but Crestview area is basically pretty much all city. not sure where the coyotes are hiding out during the day, but they seem to be permanent residents of city living. they are doing a great job of keeping the cat (feral and not so feral) population to a minimum.

We adopted a kitten a few months ago. She has been kickass and keeps my lazy ass lab on her toes.  That said, I cannot fucking stand it when other people’s cats come around the house and piss, shit, and track mud on the vehicles. I would expect at any time them (mine) to be dispatched if out running around on the streets.  I don’t get it but some owners dgaf. Keep your house animals contained or find out imo.