Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Yeah, they are technically part of Marvel, but Fox owns the rights to Fantastic 4 and Xmen.  Spiderman was controlled by Sony.  Marvel MCU couldn't use them because they didn't own the rights.  Now that the Mouse bought Fox they fall under that umbrella again.

Yep.

Marvel movies print money.  No brainer.  Trying to "BUT F4, X-MEN, FIRST HULK, SPIDERMAN" isn't accurate.

7 hours ago, RPM said:

02148990c7b410147136252a344b3a14.jpg

maxresdefault-1.jpg

They've had a good success rate, but flawless is a bit much.

So, to compare apples to apples, list a disappointing origin film for which Disney’s responsible? The first Thor and Captain America aren’t elite cinematic masterpieces but they hold up, Thor maybe slightly less so IMO. They’re both better than Fox’s and Sony’s hot garbage. 

The first Thor was not very good. Not as bad as the second Thor, though.

Marvel has developed the biggest fanboy following in cinematic history, but a lot of that is because they've put out several great films in that franchise. But the below average and bad films just get a pass because of the sheer number they've released. It even extends to critics, in my opinion. Ant-Man and the Wasp was not a very good movie but is 88% at Rotten Tomatoes. It actually has a lower audience score than critics score. It's well-established here that I think Ragnarok was overrated, too, but I recognize I'm mostly alone on that.

And by biggest fanboy following I mean that the fans of the franchise refuse to ever criticize one of the movies. Meanwhile franchises like Star Wars get ripped by their diehard fans for everything from major plot holes down to microscopic editing errors.

Anyway, it's still correct that Marvel usually crushes it on origin stories. I would bet on this one being good, too.

i dont think that is true.  you will find plenty of posts dogging the bad marvel movies on the old site.  thor, thor 2, iron man 2, iron man 3, civil war..i could go on.  but the good outweighs the bad.  even the bad ones arent all that bad, just not as good as the great ones. 

• Like 1

So true.  They're bad but they aren't BvS or Justice League bad.  Or the new F4 bad.

This will be shitting money out of every orifice solely because it's the appetizer to the IW2.  And the hype for IW2 is going to be off the charts.

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i stand by my statement (even counting the norton hulk, which, whatever - they didn't even have their structure in place back then).  there have been plenty of bad marvel movies, but they typically nail the origin story.

I think this is fair.  I enjoyed Norton's The Incredible Hulk (had the best CGI only fight probably for 5 years after it's release) but it only did average business, much better than Ang Lee's ridiculous version (although had a few good devices).  The original Thor is actually pretty good for it's time but it doesn't hold up really well (the humor does).  The original Captain America is goofy and pretty shitty.  I think there's been some disappointments (Doc Strange comes to mind) but the origin stories all tend to be enjoyed by audiences...... It's the 2nd movies like IM2, Thor 2, Avengers 2 (which is pretty decent), GotG2, AM&W which are all worse than the originals.  Only CA2 is an improvement.....

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i know i'm in the minority, but i liked (and still enjoy) capt america.  i like that it's a period piece/war movie.

he's nowhere close to my favorite marvel character, but i really enjoy his origin story.  i also think winter solider is hugely overrated, especially by surly/shaggy.

I actually agree with you on both of these as well, I just get tired of having a differing opinion on the Marvel movies because if I stated all of them I would just come off as being contrarian for contrarianism's sake.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I actually agree with you on both of these as well, I just get tired of having a differing opinion on the Marvel movies because if I stated all of them I would just come off as being contrarian for contrarianism's sake.

well, somewhere along the line, things changed with comic/superhero movies.  used to be you could enjoy them for what they were - mindless summer popcorn fun.  then nolan came along, and people thought dark knight should've been up for best picture.  sigh.  i wrote a post on shaggy called, "the dark knight, things i didn't like" (even though i liked the movie) and i got a lot of shit for pointing out some obvious flaws.  whatever.

now there's this double standard.  iron man is my favorite superhero movie ever.  not in terms of art, or technically, i just like it the most.  i also consider it to be a great movie - action with some comedy, etc.  there have been other comic book movies that are very good movies and are judged as so.  but then when cheeseball sequels come out with no character building, excessive fight scenes, and final set pieces that last for 40 minutes, people dismiss them as "great mindless comic book movies" because they essentially served their purpose, and nobody expects anything from superhero sequels.

i personally try to enjoy them as regular action movies, so i like the origin stories - where we learn about the characters - the most.  and i think marvel has done a brilliant job with these.  i also didn't grow up reading comics or following any of the storylines.  i don't know when an origin movie strayed from the source material.  i don't care.  i had never even heard of iron man until 2008.  i didn't know who thanos was or what he wanted or how he could be killed.  i don't know which superheros crossed over, unless it happens in one of the movies. 

and i'm totally fine with the information that i have.

marvel has put a great deal of thought and strategic planning into the releases of these movies.  and until they start monumentally fucking shit up, i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

well, somewhere along the line, things changed with comic/superhero movies.  used to be you could enjoy them for what they were - mindless summer popcorn fun.  then nolan came along, and people thought dark knight should've been up for best picture.  sigh.  i wrote a post on shaggy called, "the dark knight, things i didn't like" (even though i liked the movie) and i got a lot of shit for pointing out some obvious flaws.  whatever.

now there's this double standard.  iron man is my favorite superhero movie ever.  not in terms of art, or technically, i just like it the most.  i also consider it to be a great movie - action with some comedy, etc.  there have been other comic book movies that are very good movies and are judged as so.  but then when cheeseball sequels come out with no character building, excessive fight scenes, and final set pieces that last for 40 minutes, people dismiss them as "great mindless comic book movies" because they essentially served their purpose, and nobody expects anything from superhero sequels.

i personally try to enjoy them as regular action movies, so i like the origin stories - where we learn about the characters - the most.  and i think marvel has done a brilliant job with these.  i also didn't grow up reading comics or following any of the storylines.  i don't know when an origin movie strayed from the source material.  i don't care.  i had never even heard of iron man until 2008.  i didn't know who thanos was or what he wanted or how he could be killed.  i don't know which superheros crossed over, unless it happens in one of the movies. 

and i'm totally fine with the information that i have.

marvel has put a great deal of thought and strategic planning into the releases of these movies.  and until they start monumentally fucking shit up, i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

what i like most about marvel movies, bordering on fanboyish type take here, is that even the bad ones seem to somewhat advance the story to a degree. if one follows the infinity stones through the plots (which i haven't bothered to do in watching EVERYTHING over again), even in the clumsy flicks enable the pulling together of things that happens in the infinity war. i think it took some real vision, even if there were some clumsy steps. eye always seems to be on the prize, which is rare for a franchise these days, excepting possibly harry potter.

/massive fucking nerd rant

On 9/18/2018 at 8:31 AM, henrygandorf said:

marvel has a pretty much flawless record with origin story movies, so i'm willing to wait and see, regardless of how initial trailer looks.

Captain Marvel looks more like a new adventure with some origin backstory than a strict origin story. 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i know i'm in the minority, but i liked (and still enjoy) capt america.  i like that it's a period piece/war movie.

he's nowhere close to my favorite marvel character, but i really enjoy his origin story.  i also think winter solider is hugely overrated, especially by surly/shaggy.

CA1 is hokey and formulamatic.  But the director (who also made the Rocketeer) did a great job of putting us into the 1940's, and putting a realistic Captain America in that time.

WS would be a good movie if it had Chris Pine playing just a CIA operative of some kind, with NO super hero aspect at all.  What makes it a GREAT movie are the action scenes.  In particular, the attack on Nick Cage, his shooting and the later hwy scene.  Not much "superhero stuff" in any of those scenes.

CA1 is hokey and formulamatic.  But the director (who also made the Rocketeer) did a great job of putting us into the 1940's, and putting a realistic Captain America in that time.
WS would be a good movie if it had Chris Pine playing just a CIA operative of some kind, with NO super hero aspect at all.  What makes it a GREAT movie are the action scenes.  In particular, the attack on Nick Cage, his shooting and the later hwy scene.  Not much "superhero stuff" in any of those scenes.
Chris Pine? Nick Cage? What the fuck did you watch? I personally loved WS, #1a for me with A:IW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's interesting we can debate which Marvel movies are good or bad. With DC (which I don't even count the Nolan movies as they're a stand alone trilogy), it's a debate about which one of them doesn't actually suck. Wonder Woman? 

Wonder Woman was good.  MoS was decent.  Justice League and BvS are mildly entertaining but pretty bad movies.... there really hasn't been anything else.  We'll see what Aquaman gives this Xmas.  If you're DC, the question is what the fuck should they do with their universe?  I think Aquaman informs them.  If it's a hit, then they'll do a Flash movie and re-set the universe somehow, which would explain the recasting of Superman, Batman, and Cyborg (if he's in it).  Same with the GL Corp.  If it sucks, they should just give WW her trilogy.  Sit out 4-5 years and come up with an actual good plan for an EU and then.... reset everything....

• Like 1