Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

• 5 weeks later...

The trailers from last night's championship game have me feeling totally meh about this movie.

I'm getting a "first Thor movie" vibe from it. The humor seems really forced. Ms Marvel's tough-guy act is eye-roll inducing. Brie Larson is a block of wood, and people seem to have talked themselves into you thinking that she's some totally hot babe. She's cute is what I'd call her.

Edited by ajax
  • Like 1

i know we've been through this several times, but marvel has a terrific track record - practically unblemished - in origin story movies they've produced.  if it's "thor 1" bad, then whatever.  i don't see any reason to think it'll be "green lantern" bad.

i'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt until the movie proves otherwise.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i know we've been through this several times, but marvel has a terrific track record - practically unblemished - in origin story movies they've produced.  if it's "thor 1" bad, then whatever.  i don't see any reason to think it'll be "green lantern" bad.

i'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt until the movie proves otherwise.

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm going to go see it so I can watch 120 minutes of Brie Larson.

If the movie itself is good then that's a bonus. 

Both of these.

15 hours ago, ajax said:

The trailers from last night's championship game have me feeling totally meh about this movie.

I'm getting a "first Thor movie" vibe from it. The humor seems really forced. Ms Marvel's tough-guy act is eye-roll inducing. Brie Larson is a block of wood, and people seem to have talked themselves into you thinking that she's some totally hot babe. She's cute is what I'd call her.

This post is just terrible.  And I mean from the beginning to the end of it. 

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Generally agree. I had no interest conceptually in seeing a Thor movie when I heard they were making one, but really enjoyed it when I saw it. Same for Ant-Man which has always struck me as the "we are out of superhero ideas" canary in the coalmine but made a pretty good movie. 

Only going to see this if the positive reviews aren't transparently You Go Girl shit. If people genuinely seem to like it, I'll see it. I just need someone to tell me what to think first.

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

'"The thing I found so unique about this character was that sense of humor mixed with total capability for whatever challenge comes her way," Larson says in the behind-the-scenes promo. 

yeah that's not like a cliche at this point or anything

sure sounds like a recipe for dramatic tension

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2019 at 4:41 PM, Elvis said:

I would just like to say the prolific use of acronyms to describe 20+ movies is tiresome in this thread.  Can someone post a sticky for what all this GOAT2 MOWFOR3 means?  Otherwise good discussion.   

I mean, I get it. I hear ya.  But the truth is that when discussing 20+ movies in a thread, using shorthand is a lot easier than typing them all out.  If people were doing it pretentiously that would be one thing, but in this case I feel like it's almost a matter of simple survival. :)

Unlike others, I'm pretty excited about CM.  I don't think it will be anywhere close to as good as IM1 or GOTG1 but it's definitely gonna be a lot better than T1, T2, or TIH.

Edited by utee94

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, I get it. I hear ya.  But the truth is that when discussing 20+ movies in a thread, using shorthand is a lot easier than typing them all out.  If people were doing it pretentiously that would be one thing, but in this case I feel like it's almost a matter of simple survival. :)

Unlike others, I'm pretty excited about CM.  I don't think it will be anywhere close to as good as IM1 or GOTG1 but it's definitely gonna be a lot better than T1, T2, or TIH.

Instead of making your case on how it's easier for you (lazy), why don't you just define the acronyms and improve the thread?

Is it really that hard to follow? Marvel movie timeline from wiki with obvious acronyms inserted by me.

1944 Captain America: The First Avenger (CA1 TFA or CATFA)
2010 Iron Man (IM or IM1)
2011 Iron Man 2 (IM2), Thor (T1)
2012 The Avengers (A1 or TA), Iron Man 3 (IM3)
2013 Thor: The Dark World (T2 or TDW or TTDW)
2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (CA2 or TWS or CATWS) Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (GOTG 1&2)
2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron (A2 or AAOU or AOU), Ant-Man (AM1)
2016 Captain America: Civil War (CA2 or CACW)
2016–17 Doctor Strange (DrS or DS)
2017 Black Panther (BP), Thor: Ragnarok (T3 or TR), Avengers: Infinity War (A3 or IW or AIW)

Incredible Hulk (IH)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (SMH)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (AM2 or AM&W)

May be missing some, but come one in isn’t that hard.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Instead of making your case on how it's easier for you (lazy), why don't you just define the acronyms and improve the thread?

CM=Captain Marvel

IM1=Iron Man 1

GOTG1=Guardians of the Galaxy 1

T1, T2, TIH=Thor 1, Thor 2, and (probably) Thor-Hulk

YMMV, SIAP, ROFLOLPMFITA, and all that. 

35 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Is it really that hard to follow? Marvel movie timeline from wiki with obvious acronyms inserted by me.

2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (CA2 or TWS or CATWS) Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (GOTG 1&2)
2017 Black Panther (BP), Thor: Ragnarok (T3 or TR), Avengers: Infinity War (A3 or IW or AIW)

Incredible Hulk (IH)

Those dates are all kinds of fucked up. Not sure what page you got that from. 

The Iron Mans were 2008, 2010, 2013.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

CM=Captain Marvel

IM1=Iron Man 1

GOTG1=Guardians of the Galaxy 1

T1, T2, TIH=Thor 1, Thor 2, and (probably) Thor-Hulk

YMMV, SIAP, ROFLOLPMFITA, and all that. 

after calling it necessary, utee used "tih" which took me a minute as well.  he means the incredible hulk (i think).

if the names are short (1-2 words) you can fucking write it.  iron man.  wasn't that hard.  avengers.  ultron.  ragnorak.  civil war.  simple.

guardians you can say "gotg" or "gotg2".

Those dates are all kinds of fucked up. Not sure what page you got that from. 
The Iron Mans were 2008, 2010, 2013.

That’s fictional timeline as laid out by Marvel Studio so they could try and make sense of Easter eggs and movies addressing events from other movies. CA1 is 1944, ICYMI ROTFLMFAO DCUSUX BRBOKTNXBAI

4 hours ago, Elvis said:

Nah I'd rather make the case for being lazy, much more fun for me.  You gotta remember, surly gonna surly.  Moose out front shoulda told you.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

after calling it necessary, utee used "tih" which took me a minute as well.  he means the incredible hulk (i think).

if the names are short (1-2 words) you can fucking write it.  iron man.  wasn't that hard.  avengers.  ultron.  ragnorak.  civil war.  simple.

guardians you can say "gotg" or "gotg2".

Yup. The Incredible Hulk. 

And I was actually joking in my response. I can certainly understand how people that aren't so familiar with the movies would be confused by the shorthand.

5 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Incredible Hulk (IH)

Yes that is an absolutely absurd amount of nerd acronym with 2 variations for most.  I assume you are some IT architect that isn't allowed in public because you condescend to everyone because everyone else is stupid and doesn't speak your language.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elvis said:

Yes that is an absolutely absurd amount of nerd acronym with 2 variations for most.  I assume you are some IT architect that isn't allowed in public because you condescend to everyone because everyone else is stupid and doesn't speak your language.

Iron Thor?  C'mon, that makes no sense.