Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

I was confused by all of that too, and going in knowing what had been said about her being the most powerful superhero to date, it didn't seem to fit.

She got her power from an infinity stone, like several other characters. Thanos has all the stones and has defeated all of the other characters. Maybe there was something I missed? 

I would argue that Thanos never got to feel full-brunt Wanda (giggity), as she was using only half her power just to keep him at bay.  Come to think of it neither her nor Vision ever attacked him at all.  Dr. Srange was the only stoned hero to take him on directly.  And even there, he never "appeared" to use the time stone.  So Marvel has the option to close this out via all infinity-stoned heros using their powers together and blow him and/or the gauntlet away, a la Ghostbusters to Gozer.

Edited by freyguy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

It'll be kind of amazing if Marvel got this fucking far and completely pulls a Leon Lett and fumbles at the goal line with End Game.  

I don't think this is a possibility. It'll be fine. 

The problem they're going to have is what comes after. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, and Scarlett Johansson have a screen chemistry and presence that can't be matched except, incredibly, by the GotG cast. And none of those actors individually can carry a movie the way RDJ or Chris Pratt can.

Now it's ending and they've put all of their eggs in Larson's basket. After last night I just don't see it. She's certainly no RDJ or Pratt and she's not as good as any of the others either. After End Game is when they're gonna need some help. They've got an overpowered superhero with a wooden stage presence. Sounds familiar....

33 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I don't think this is a possibility. It'll be fine. 

The problem they're going to have is what comes after. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, and Scarlett Johansson have a screen chemistry and presence that can't be matched except, incredibly, by the GotG cast. And none of those actors individually can carry a movie the way RDJ or Chris Pratt can.

Now it's ending and they've put all of their eggs in Larson's basket. After last night I just don't see it. She's certainly no RDJ or Pratt and she's not as good as any of the others either. After End Game is when they're gonna need some help. They've got an overpowered superhero with a wooden stage presence. Sounds familiar....

I was in the camp that liked Thor 1, but most people didn’t, and I’d say the intial reaction to CA (THE First Avenger) was pretty low too, but WS, CW, and Raganarock showed me enough to at least think there is a chance they can make future Brie movies work, whether it is writing around her strengths or just upping the supporting cast. And I think they made this one work too (Thank you Samuel Jackson)

Edited by UT_OB1

31 minutes ago, Drew said:

I kind of hope they don't put it ALL on Larson.  It'll be split between her and Black Panther and Spiderman(provided they keep their deal with Sony in place).

Feige has said Larson is the centerpiece going forward. I take that to mean she's the new RDJ or Chris Pratt and I'm very skeptical. 

I thought Larson (CAROL) was really the weakest part of this movie. Well, her and the writing. 

1 minute ago, Disco Missile said:

Well, her and the writing. 

The writing and directing.

These idiots didn't know what they were doing. They took what they thought worked in past Marvel movies and just shoved it into this movie without fully understanding what worked.

For example, the Hawkeye farm scene from Avengers 2 has often been cited as a great character building sequence and it helped that movie breathe, give it life. So what did they do? They stuck a slow sequence at Maria Rambeau's place but instead of using it for character building, they use it for a plot twist.

Or (as I stated earlier), hey, everyone love's James Gunn's pop music action sequences? Let's have Carol swing her jazz hands around to "I'm Just a Girl" in what should have been a triumphant, dramatic scene. That scene was comically bad. James Gunn knows what he's doing. He doesn't follow up Yondu's death with a song by Chumba Wumba. These idiots don't.

I hope Marvel drops them going forward cause they suck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's the tracklist from CM:

"Crazy on You" - Heart

"Kiss Me Deadly" - Lita Ford

"Whatta Man" - Salt-N-Pepa ft. En Vogue

"Connection" - Elastica

"Only Happy When It Rains" - Garbage

"Crush With Eyeliner" - R.E.M.

"Waterfalls" - TLC

"You Gotta Be" - Des'ree

"Come As You Are" - Nirvana

"Just A Girl" - No Doubt

"Man on the Moon" - R.E.M.

"Please Mr. Postman"

"Celebrity Skin" - Hole

58 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Here's the tracklist from CM:

"Crazy on You" - Heart

"Kiss Me Deadly" - Lita Ford

"Whatta Man" - Salt-N-Pepa ft. En Vogue

"Connection" - Elastica

"Only Happy When It Rains" - Garbage

"Crush With Eyeliner" - R.E.M.

"Waterfalls" - TLC

"You Gotta Be" - Des'ree

"Come As You Are" - Nirvana

"Just A Girl" - No Doubt

"Man on the Moon" - R.E.M.

"Please Mr. Postman"

"Celebrity Skin" - Hole

I like almost all of those songs but they felt out of place.

Cult's "Fire Woman" or "Sanctuary" would've worked and checked the grrl power box. Fighting to Nirvana unironically? Ehhh

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe they pull a Edward Norton / Mark Ruffalo and re-cast her.  Or then again, and more likely, maybe it’s going to make a billion dollars and resting bitch face will be the new fad on superhero posters.

Brie Larson has a 7 picture deal (not 5 like I said earlier in the thread) with Marvel.

Marvel = Brie Larson. She will be the face and the star of the MCU for the next several years. There are rumors that the rest of the cast, particular Elizabeth Olsen, are not happy about this.

Nor should they be.  They didn't give RDH a 7 picture deal before IM was even screened(I'm sure it was at least shortly after that).

It'll be a problem if they follow through with her being the absolute face of the MCU from here on.

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It'll be kind of amazing if Marvel got this fucking far and completely pulls a Leon Lett and fumbles at the goal line with End Game.  

I really hope Ant-Man saves the day.  It would be an epic troll of sorts that would please a lot of people. And would probably cause DC fanboys to foam at the mouth.

Also, it's most likely an option for 7 pictures.  Marvel isn't tied to her, she's tied to Marvel if Marvel chooses so.  I'm sure Marvel would probably do this with everyone for continuity's sake going forward regardless if they actually use them.

Edited by CooterBrown

Nobody gets 7 picture deals.  There maybe options or whatever, but like back end points, the studios can always wiggle out of anything if they want.

I'm sure they signed her to a multi picture deal, because that just makes sense:  they want to be sure she's available to film on their schedule, and she wants money, but nobody commits, on either side, to that many movies.  Most want to get to the Jennifer Lawrence or RDJ place:  complete your original contract, then extract insane sums of money from the franchise if it's successful for individual follow ups. Eventually, like in sports, the prices become so high, the studio introduces new characters they can sign relatively cheap to multi picture deals.  The OG cast is starting to rotate out, either due to cost (RDJ) or boredom (Evans), and new people are being brought on board.

Kevin Feige is pretty smart about this stuff.  He kept RDJ on long enough to hand the franchise off to new stars (Hemsworth has really blossomed as a lead, and they can let him age into the role as he becomes more Odin-like). 

Edited by Bateshorn

Saw it last night. Larson is a character actor at best. Some of her posturing and glares were so wooden that I thought I was watching groot with tits.

The girl power schlock was totally over the top, but I am not a 16 year old girl so I get why I dont get it.

Not sure if it's the worst, but it isn't good. 

Edited by MissingInAction

33 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Saw it last night. Larson is a character actor at best. Some of her posturing and glares were so wooden that I thought I was watching groot with tits.

The girl power schlock was totally over the top, but I am not a 16 year old girl so I get why I dont get it.

Not sure if it's the worst, but it isn't good. 

Is it the new Surly thing to hate Brie Larson?  It's hard to keep up.  I know Melissa McCarthy is on the list.  I saw this last night and went in with low expectations.  That seemed to really help since I didn't hate it.  I don't think I'll ever watch it again though.  I thought Larson was actually pretty good in it.  

• Like 2

Just now, Go Pokes said:

Is it the new Surly thing to hate Brie Larson?  It's hard to keep up.  I know Melissa McCarthy is on the list.  I saw this last night and went in with low expectations.  That seemed to really help since I didn't hate it.  I don't think I'll ever watch it again though.  I thought Larson was actually pretty good in it.  

This interview makes me hate her. I mean i thought the "wooden" criticisms were a bit over the top, but jesus christ she has all the personality of a raw potato. She feels like someone who would have been a good secondary character in The Office, because she reminds me of Erin without the happiness. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I have nothing against Larson, she's just not a great actor. 

And to the poster before you, the girl power wasn't actually over the top (other than song selection). I mean this is a universe where guys fly around as actual gods but girls being awesome is over the top? That's silly.

Edited by Huckleberry

I think she's a good actress. She's just horribly miscast. She's not a wisecracking female version of Robert Downey Jr like they make her out to be. She has no comedic instincts. She's not heroic. She does her best work in small independent movies.

Look, it's pretty clear that she's introverted and has to put forth a lot of effort to be in the public eye. Her persona always comes off as strained and put upon.

One of my favorite actresses is almost exactly like Brie Larson - Greta Gerwig, except that Gerwig is an extrovert and likes people. Whereas Brie Larson comes off as scattered and surly, Gerwig is scattered and fun, hence a lot more likable.

You put Larson in a small independent drama and she'll be great, just like she has been in the past.

I think she's a good actress. She's just horribly miscast. She's not a wisecracking female version of Robert Downey Jr like they make her out to be. She has no comedic instincts. She's not heroic. She does her best work in small independent movies.
Look, it's pretty clear that she's introverted and has to put forth a lot of effort to be in the public eye. Her persona always comes off as strained and put upon.
One of my favorite actresses is almost exactly like Brie Larson - Greta Gerwig, except that Gerwig is an extrovert and likes people. Whereas Brie Larson comes off as scattered and surly, Gerwig is scattered and fun, hence a lot more likable.
You put Larson in a small independent drama and she'll be great, just like she has been in the past.

Yeah, that's fair. I should more accurately say she's not great for this style of film.

1 hour ago, ajax said:

For some reason this post/avatar combo is making me crack up.

2 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Does it seem like people hate her? Saying someone isn't good isn't the same as hating them. Usually hate is reserved for people that are assholes.

I don't know if she's an asshole, but she's not good in this movie.

Then I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide whether or not I thought she was attractive, but I realized if you have to think about it, the answer is no. 

That's where my emotional/intellectual investment stopped. 

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

This interview makes me hate her. I mean i thought the "wooden" criticisms were a bit over the top, but jesus christ she has all the personality of a raw potato. She feels like someone who would have been a good secondary character in The Office, because she reminds me of Erin without the happiness. 

I don’t understand how someone can get so offended by simple questions like she just did. 

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Oh god. I just came to the realization that somewhere out there, there's some twisted person who's like a furry except tree obsessed. And they've fapped to Groot.

Or worse even - baby Groot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I don’t understand how someone can get so offended by simple questions like she just did. 

Yeah, I don't get it. So people Googled "would Brie Larson work out?" and then asking "is that a personal attack?" is just astonishing though. Taking that offensively is just dumb, but it helps you understand why she would be so upset about bad reviews for her movies. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

26 minutes ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

I wish you hadn’t thought of that.

Dendrophilia (paraphilia) Dendrophilia (or less often arborphilia or dendrophily) literally means "love of trees". The term may sometimes refer to a paraphilia in which peopleare sexually attracted to or sexually aroused by trees. This may involve sexual contact or veneration as phallic symbols or both.

20150106_richard_torres_1-w960.jpg

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dendrophilia (paraphilia) Dendrophilia (or less often arborphilia or dendrophily) literally means "love of trees". The term may sometimes refer to a paraphilia in which peopleare sexually attracted to or sexually aroused by trees. This may involve sexual contact or veneration as phallic symbols or both.

God damn it Bedouin! Get your shit together..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is that Eric Andre?

22 hours ago, ajax said:

Oh god. I just came to the realization that somewhere out there, there's some twisted person who's like a furry except tree obsessed. And they've fapped to Groot.

Or worse even - baby Groot.

Going out on a limb here, but I bet they've done much worse than think about it

saw it.  liked it.   it's middle of the road marvel movie so it still tons better than most of the shit showing in theaters on any given weekend.  

if CW and IW were grand slams, then this is a double off of the right field wall.  it took awhile for thor's character to mature into the complex badass that he is.  thor darkworld was one of marvel's poorer movies.  the latest thor was one of marvel's best movies.  i think the captain marvel character will follow the same arc.

22 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

JFC, even her small part in the last End game trailer was completely insufferable. She looks like an angry toddler that doesn't have any idea what anger is. 

Her 10 seconds where she doesn't let Thor intimidate her was completely insufferable? Did she fuck your mom?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3