Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

My expectations for the movie were low but I enjoyed it.  How a human survives in space in a ship overhauled in 12 hours by a skrull scientist is beyond me but dude we also have aliens who shape shift so I guess the believability factor has to go out the window. But I never questioned a octopus cat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was a good, if not great movie. I think it's pretty on par with the first Captain America movie and the other Phase I hero introductory movies.

The CGI didn't look great in a lot of her flying scenes. Also it didn't seem like there was much character development going on. But other than that major concerns don't come to mind.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, Disco Missile said:

Does it seem like people hate her? Saying someone isn't good isn't the same as hating them. Usually hate is reserved for people that are assholes.

I don't know if she's an asshole, but she's not good in this movie.

Then I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide whether or not I thought she was attractive, but I realized if you have to think about it, the answer is no. 

That's where my emotional/intellectual investment stopped. 

How great would Natalie Portman have been as Captain Marvel...

tsk tsk 

• Like 1

The box office on this is pretty interesting. It's making a crapload in the foreign markets but probably won't top GOTG2 or Winter Soldier domestically which both did 389M and 408M respectively. It's currently at 266M. But it's already at almost 500M with foreign markets and 762M total. 

It was a good, if not great movie. I think it's pretty on par with the first Captain America movie and the other Phase I hero introductory movies.
The CGI didn't look great in a lot of her flying scenes. Also it didn't seem like there was much character development going on. But other than that major concerns don't come to mind.

Bad CGI and wooden Title character. Sounds good to great to me.

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

mlbr2sv1wsm21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Because of the 10+ films we already have with Fury, we probably had saw quite a bit more character arc/growth with him than anyone else. We saw agent/soldier Fury that we hadn’t seen before. The guy that’s got the abilities but hasn’t taken charge yet. We also see why he becomes hellbent on getting ready for an invasion 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:40 AM, FartingMonk said:

My expectations for the movie were low but I enjoyed it.  How a human survives in space in a ship overhauled in 12 hours by a skrull scientist is beyond me but dude we also have aliens who shape shift so I guess the believability factor has to go out the window. But I never questioned a octopus cat 

Surviving a nose-in crash landing in a jet fighter didn't do it for you? And that was before CAROL had any powers.

Plowed the jet into the ground. Hopped out to check on her friend. But her friend in the back seat, directly behind her, was dying.

Edit: also, in the part you're talking about, what's up with the daughter telling her mom to go on a suicide mission to set a good example? I totally wtf'd at that part.

Several times in this film I thought we were being trolled.

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Surviving a nose-in crash landing in a jet fighter didn't do it for you? And that was before CAROL had any powers.

Plowed the jet into the ground. Hopped out to check on her friend. But her friend in the back seat, directly behind her, was dying.

Edit: also, in the part you're talking about, what's up with the daughter telling her mom to go on a suicide mission to set a good example? I totally wtf'd at that part.

Are you seriously fact checking a movie for things like this when the premise behind the whole movie is a super hero that can shoot plasma beams and fly around in space. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Drew said:

New to the Movies/TV section of Surly?  This is the same group of people who complained there weren't enough Catapults/Trebuchets in a Game of Thrones episode...

And that no one in The Walking Dead shits or pisses.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Don't worry. Things will become more rational in Endgame when the anthropomorphic raccoon makes an off-color remark about Captain Marvel's tits before they both reduce themselves to subatomic size and enter the Quantum Realm.

• Like 3

Are you guys being thick on purpose?

Even fiction has rules, especially as applies to believability. That's why Stephen King can write a story about a killer monster clown that lives in the sewer, and you worry about whether or not the main characters survive. Because when he wrote about the main characters, he used a lot of realism and made it believable.

Pointing out flaws in the areas meant to be realistic within a work of fiction is valid, because it usually snaps you back to reality and ruins the illusion the artist intended to create. Authors, directors, and artists face that sort of criticism all the time and usually welcome it because it makes their story better.

Being dismissive of that (defensively?) is pretty silly. 

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, ajax said:

Brie Larson making a play for Tessa Thompson. Oh Brie - Tessa is way too hot for your plain ass. But it'll be funny to see the MCU go full on lesbo.

Tessa Thompson isn't too hot for anyone. She did do a much better job in her MCU role than Larson, sure, but let's not get crazy. And that's despite the fact Ragnarok wasn't that good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Tessa Thompson isn't too hot for anyone. She did do a much better job in her MCU role than Larson, sure, but let's not get crazy. And that's despite the fact Ragnarok wasn't that good.

You didn't like Ragnarok and you don't think Tessa is too hot for anyone? Not even Clint Howard?

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion but I thought Ragnarok was pretty great. And as for Tessa, I'm not the only one saying "fuck you Brie, I'll fight you for Tessa." She percolated my loins in Ragnarok and Annihilation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Ragnarok was legitimately funny, and not just for a superhero movie.  I think it’s one of the best comedies in the last 5-10 years.  I know it’s all subjective, but to me it’s probably a top 3 Marvel movie with the original Iron Man and the first Guardians of the Galaxy.  I guess throw the first Avengers in there, too.

Humor is what makes the Marvel movies, IMO.

Oh I do think it was extremely funny, but almost too much so at times.

Yes Marvel is known for their humor...but I think it toed that "too funny" line and went over it some times(GotG 2 did the same thing IMO), while Avengers, IM1, and GotG were the perfect mix of funny, serious, and story.

But yes, it's all subjective.

• Like 1

Totally disagree. I thought it retained enough seriousness to handle the funny.

My current order:
Ragnorak
GotG 1
Infinity War
Iron Man 1

Decent drop off after those four. Almost all of the rest fit somewhere in a big jumble with 4-5 of them that weren’t good (IM 2 and 3, original Thor)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2019 at 5:23 PM, ajax said:

And I personally loved Geena Davis in the Long Kiss Goodnight, even though it bombed in the box office (Sam Jackson was in that too, btw). All kickass women.

It's like Hollywood has forgotten how to write them.

Very underrated. Not a fan of most women action movies but get the right actress in the right part and I'm in.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, Disco Missile said:

Point of No Return was better, and Bridget Fonda was more realistic as an assassin. She was a junkie or something that got 'killed' and put into a secret program to become an off-the-books killer. Plus Harvey Keitel.

Definitely not better, but I had no issue looking at BF thru the whole movie always thought she had the HAF girl next door thing

On 3/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, MrPhlegm said:

7c20c07875fc951a3f954b2a4c9fcc3a.jpg

Tobey Macguire looks like shit.

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Anything in this movie I need to know before end game?  Or just an origin story so knowing she exists is enough?

assume she has every possible power and/or can do anything that the story needs done, you'll be fine

I really hope she shows up late in the movie and just fucks Thanos' shit up, that would be hilarious. Like rewriting Hoosiers so that Jimmy Chitwood shows up for the first time with thirty seconds to go in the state championship game.

Merle: "Coach, who's this guy?"

Norman Dale ( shrugs, winks at the camera as All-Star by Smashmouth starts playing)

And he's nine feet tall and instead of winning on a jumper at the buzzer, Hickory scores 23 points in the last minute like the Globetrotters in Futurama. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The entirety of end game is avengers getting their asses kicked, with quick 5 second cuts every 20 minutes to CM flying towards them. Then 3 hours in, he’s about to kill the last avenger, Stark probably, and CM flys in and kills thanos with one energy pulse. 

• Like 3

Oh, forgot to mention, this was shown in screen X?  where the side walls of the theater had side images shown probably 50% of the time?  Did anyone else see it this way?  That was a interesting feature for about 5 mins then it just was kind of annoying.  I found myself looking to my left and right sometimes, just to see what was over there.  Unfortunately, a movie should be centered in front of you, to allow you to focus on the screen.  Adding that shit was just distracting ultimately.