Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

Yes that is an absolutely absurd amount of nerd acronym with 2 variations for most.  I assume you are some IT architect that isn't allowed in public because you condescend to everyone because everyone else is stupid and doesn't speak your language.

Not at all. The point was there are no universal acronyms for the movies. Fire your temporal lobe for a nanosecond and decipher the first letter, anyone with 3rd grade reading level could figure out what the poster is indicating. “Y’all here that? We’re using code names” I did a simple thing at your request. Google list. Copy paste. Type first letter of movie title or it’s number in the series. All in one post ready for referencing.

You missed the mark. Let me try. You must be the underpaid bitter middle manager that drives a Dodge Stratus. Accuses peers of being lazy, when he is too dim witted to perform a simple task himself then bitches about the way in which the 2 min task was performed on his behalf.

Have a nice day. Heads up boss, it’s overcast out don’t tire yourself out yelling at the clouds or deciphering exceptionally complex acronyms.

Seems like from some early reviews people are saying the movie is different than what they show in the previews. Meaning they went in thinking one way and it was went a different direction. That must mean this movie is great since 90% of the experts in here say it's gonna suck. 

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

apart from thor 1 and 2 has marvel let you down yet?  they are all good if not at least entertaining.  this will be another good/great movie.

Even those 2 didn't let me down. I knew nothing about Thor when i saw the first one and i loved it. Of course, i don't go into movies looking for plot holes and what's wrong with it. I just sit back and enjoy the damn movie! 

• Like 1

Iron Man 3 was also pretty disappointing. The snippets I've read said it plays like a 90s action movie and is atypical of most Marvel movies. I mean if it's goofy fun like The Rock, Speed or Bad Boys then what's not to like. We're about to get our guts ripped out by Thanos in April anyway. Let's have a little fun first.

Edited by mdmost

On 2/21/2019 at 4:29 PM, NOMAAA said:

apart from thor 1 and 2 has marvel let you down yet?  they are all good if not at least entertaining.  this will be another good/great movie.

Only thing bad about Thor 1 is his eyebrows.  

And he comic vloggers on YouTube seem happy about the villains - a lot of them say they are up there with Loki, which is a pretty high bar.  

On 2/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, Llano Estacado said:

Is it really that hard to follow? Marvel movie timeline from wiki with obvious acronyms inserted by me.

1944 Captain America: The First Avenger (CA1 TFA or CATFA)
2010 Iron Man (IM or IM1)
2011 Iron Man 2 (IM2), Thor (T1)
2012 The Avengers (A1 or TA), Iron Man 3 (IM3)
2013 Thor: The Dark World (T2 or TDW or TTDW)
2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (CA2 or TWS or CATWS) Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (GOTG 1&2)
2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron (A2 or AAOU or AOU), Ant-Man (AM1)
2016 Captain America: Civil War (CA2 or CACW)
2016–17 Doctor Strange (DrS or DS)
2017 Black Panther (BP), Thor: Ragnarok (T3 or TR), Avengers: Infinity War (A3 or IW or AIW)

Incredible Hulk (IH)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (SMH)
Ant-Man and the Wasp (AM2 or AM&W)

May be missing some, but come one in isn’t that hard.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

The mouse is getting nervous. RottenTomatoes started monkeying with results when "Want to see" dropped below 28%. When that didn't work, they changed the whole site, removing "Want to see" from all movie previews, and putting a prohibition on comments until the movie is released. They now only show the number of people who "Want to see" and don't have an option for "Not interested." 

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/making-some-changes/

• Fuck You 1

It is interesting that they're introducing an "alleged" extremely key character this late in the game.  But I don't know why it has to be overly analyzed, scrutinized, yadda, yadda ahead of it all.  This drive to measure a movie against perfection, GOAT, or some other form of a forced pedestal is getting oooold.  It's simply another chapter in the long saga, and thousands of people have put a lot of hard work over the years to put it together.  Go see it and see where it takes you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, I guess the whole movie review/critic industry is officially a sham now and basically an open prop for Disney to hype its movies?  

RT’s problems have been building for years. And it’s not unique to them - Amazon, IMDB, etc. all have ratings problems from people who never intended to buy the products or watch whatever it is, and were going to downvote whatever it is they hate.    Netflix had to do away with its old ratings system.  And that’s before we discuss companies trying to game the ratings system.

This just happens to be a situation where freewheeling social media is causing a lot of problems for a very visible movie.   Bots and basement dwellers who never intended to see the movie, and who are angry at Disney are easily organizing (or being organized).  .   Throw in hardcore DC and Star Wars fanboys as well.   That’s a large enough group to drive down a movie’s ratings across many platforms. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I feel like I should be able rate a movie I don’t intend to see before it’s released.

100 people saw a review screening.  500 people rated it.  Hmm....

This morning, I was looking at screen protectors for an iPad. Somebody asked how one brand worked with an Apple Pencil.  7 people chimed in that they didn’t own a pencil, but were sure it would be okay, because it worked fine with their fingers.   

Give me the days when people relied on Siskel and Ebert or Consumer Reviews.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

100 people saw a review screening.  500 people rated it.  Hmm....

RT didn't get rid of reviews. They got rid of the "want to see percentage." Fine. There's a case that ita irrelevant. Like I thought Venom would be trash. And it was trash but it was a ton of fun.

It'll be intereating to see what RT dpes after the Captain Marvel comes out. The critic's score will be cloae to 100 and the audience score will be much lower. Will they keep the audience score or scrap that too. 

9 minutes ago, ajax said:

RT didn't get rid of reviews. They got rid of the "want to see percentage." Fine. There's a case that ita irrelevant. Like I thought Venom would be trash. And it was trash but it was a ton of fun.

It'll be intereating to see what RT dpes after the Captain Marvel comes out. The critic's score will be cloae to 100 and the audience score will be much lower. Will they keep the audience score or scrap that too. 

I always ignored the "want to see" numbers, people are stupid and like trash and then you add the element of online trolls and that measurement is worthless. Same with so called audience rating, theres no validation done on that. If critics like the movie I'll usually watch it and decide myself, if that don't like it I'll generally pass

Edited by Michael Knight

I saw a YouTube video yesterday  that said disney had 2 different " end game" edits ready depending on how Captain Marvel  did.

This was done before Brie started flapping her gums. So this is an indication that disney isnt so sold on the gurl power that they seem to be presenting. And are hedging their bets to make sure they don't ruin their cash cow in case SJW Brie dosen't sell big. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, freyguy said:

You have a dizzying intellect 

I do,  right?

Im just sharing what i heard, brother.

That Marvel/disney is pushing an SJW agenda is obvious. The term "get woke, go broke" is a reality. 

Woke movies are losing propositions. And thats what captain Marvel is being presented as. From Brie's own words to the movies marketing. 

That Disney wouldnt look to cut their losses in case captain marvel tanks is a ridiculous idea. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I do,  right?

Im just sharing what i heard, brother.

That Marvel/disney is pushing an SJW agenda is obvious. The term "get woke, go broke" is a reality. 

Woke movies are losing propositions. And thats what captain Marvel is being presented as. From Brie's own words to the movies marketing. 

That Disney wouldnt look to cut their losses in case captain marvel tanks is a ridiculous idea. 

alex jones sudden realization GIF

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

I saw a YouTube video yesterday  that said disney had 2 different " end game" edits ready depending on how Captain Marvel  did.

This was done before Brie started flapping her gums. So this is an indication that disney isnt so sold on the gurl power that they seem to be presenting. And are hedging their bets to make sure they don't ruin their cash cow in case SJW Brie dosen't sell big. 

I saw that rumor too, but it's just one guy on reddit. It's not very believable.

The only part that was credible was that the Russos didn't want Captain Marvel to be the lone savior stepping at the end of this long story arc as a kind of deus ex brielarson.

The truth is that Larson has a 5 picture deal and she's the face of Marvel for the foreseeable future. They've stated that she's the leader of the Avengers. They're all in on her.

Yeah Captain Marvel is definitely a game changer in the appearance of an all powerful super hero. Even Hulk got his ass beat multiple times. I do worry she might be too alpha for this universe but the previews seem to be pushing a theme that she gets beat and gets back up again. 

The SJW stuff is so pathetic. It’s like any female hero movie will get that label from neck beards who seem offended that women are included in the movies or comics as heroes and not pieces of meat. 

And the Rotten Tomatoes talk reminds me of that moron, Rocko, who treated RT like it was gospel. See a movie if it interests you. Why you care what critics or the average thinks is beyond me.

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The SJW stuff is so pathetic. It’s like any female hero movie will get that label from neck beards who seem offended that women are included in the movies or comics as heroes and not pieces of meat

That's partially true. But I think those same neckbeards would have cheered a movie about Storm, a black woman, because Storm is a genuinely beloved character with a lot of history.

The truth is that no one cares about Captain Marvel. She's a boring character. The most interesting thing about her is that Rogue stole her powers, put her in a coma and threw her off a bridge. Captain Marvel's comics have never sold well. There's no lore or history about her.

Marvel really does have a female problem. They don't have an equivalent to Wonder Woman. The most logical choice for a movie was Black Widow, but Scarlett Johansson makes too much money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajax said:

That's partially true. But I think those same neckbeards would have cheered a movie about Storm, a black woman, because Storm is a genuinely beloved character with a lot of history.

The truth is that no one cares about Captain Marvel. She's a boring character. The most interesting thing about her is that Rogue stole her powers, put her in a coma and threw her off a bridge. Captain Marvel's comics have never sold well. There's no lore or history about her.

Marvel really does have a female problem. They don't have an equivalent to Wonder Woman. The most logical choice for a movie was Black Widow, but Scarlett Johansson makes too much money

The past 20 movies have all been Marvel's "boring" characters, they built this juggernaut with essentially their B team. Who the fuck cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy or Iron Man before the movies? With their record I don't know how you can't give Feige and company the benefit of the doubt right now. Everyone was doubting Black Panther last year and it actually out earned Infinity War

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The past 20 movies have all been Marvel's "boring" characters, they built this juggernaut with essentially their B team. Who the fuck cared about the Guardians of the Galaxy or Iron Man before the movies? With their record I don't know how you can't give Feige and company the benefit of the doubt right now. Everyone was doubting Black Panther last year and it actually out earned Infinity War

I mean I read Guardians as a kid and I didn't think it was boring. It was weird but fun. Black Panther certainly wasn't boring. He was always cool as shit (especially with the cape). 

When I say boring I don't mean "not popular". The actual character is boring. Like Marvel struggled, didn't know what the hell to do with the character. She's totally forgettable.

And I agree with this comic book girl's take (starting 8:00). I don't think Brie Larson has it in her to lift the material like Downey Jr or Pratt.

But we will see. It could be great but my guess is it'll be a C+/B- movie.

Meh.  Who fucking cares.  If it's good, people will see it and it will have great word of mouth and will be a huge hit.  If it's shitty, people will see it and criticize the fuck out of it and not go back for 2nds.  There's a built in Marvel audience.  This thing is gonna get to 300-400 million globally pretty easily.  And while I tend to agree Captain Marvel isn't the most exciting character from the comics, it's very easy to re-imagine her and her powers and story can be ret-conned into a pretty consumable arc.

I have some concerns over Larson and her lack of charisma but we'll all find out very soon whether she can be the next Marvel superstar.  We all have our favorites.  I'm not a Mark Ruffalo guy but he's solid as Banner.  I don't think Cheadle is all that great as Rhodey (although an excellent actor outside), but its fine.  I had concerns about yet another Brit as Spiderman, but Holland has been really good.  I don't get all this noise about RT, which is owned by Warner Brothers and Comcast Universal FTR, and it's silly pre-release rankings.  Who cares.  Excited about the supporting cast of this movie, which is fucking very solid -- Jude Law, Anette Benning, Lee Pace, Mendelsohn, SLJ, Hounsou.  Phil Coulson is back!  They should be able to make this a worthy watch if Larson can't bring the goods....

I think Larson will be able to "bring the goods". The majority of her on screen will be CGI enhanced. She has the acting chops to follow direction and deliver the lines how they want and judging from what I saw in United States of Tara, I think the tits are homegrown. Really have to subject them to further testing to be sure.  It's really all down to the audience accepting a female leading Marvel character. 

Narrator: They will.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

I think Larson will be able to "bring the goods". The majority of her on screen will be CGI enhanced. She has the acting chops to follow direction and deliver the lines how they want and judging from what I saw in United States of Tara, I think the tits are homegrown. Really have to subject them to further testing to be sure.  It's really all down to the audience accepting a female leading Marvel character. 

Narrator: They will.

The neckbeards might complain but they'll jerk it to BL just like everyone else.

I'm not really sure what Brie said to start this controversy, but I'll tell you, there are a million podcasts and monologue opinions on it to the point that I can't find any clip of her actually saying the things attributed to her without interjection, cuts or edits of some sort. It's really hard to find source information sometimes...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm not really sure what Brie said to start this controversy, but I'll tell you, there are a million podcasts and monologue opinions on it to the point that I can't find any clip of her actually saying the things attributed to her without interjection, cuts or edits of some sort. It's really hard to find source information sometimes...

She formulated an opinion. Sometimes that’s enough for the involuntary celibates of the world.

• Like 2