Captain Marvel (aka, the appetizer before Infinity War 2)

Js1

13 hours ago, naija said:

The attempts at comedy were not good. I don't think it was all the delivery. I just think it was forced writing. Too much, too soon. Characters meet each other and in seconds are acting like a buddy act? The story was ok, but seemed like it was mostly in service of the Marvel Universe than the character herself. It did make me want to go back and read more about Ronan the Accuser  though. A problem I have with the Super-Hero movies is that eventually comes that hero with powers that seem to be just projected energy (in whatever form), and sooner or later you realize there is no accurate way to gauge just how powerful they are. The writers turn it up or dial it down at whim. Look at the number in Avengers alone now; IronMan, Vision, Scarlet Witch.. now Captain Marvel.

Meh, I was never a comic book guy so I just take it for what it's worth. I've never believed that normal people with technology (i.e. Iron Man and Batman) could ever be successful in a world where supernatural powers exist.  Iron Man has been shot down and thrown against mountains and buildings regularly. He's still just a regular human and his super fancy technological equipment would  not prevent his brain from sloshing around in his skull or his bones from breaking within his technology shell when being battered around by supernatural beings with superhuman strength. Batman is even worse because his technology still isn't anywhere close to Iron Man. But it's just a movie and the good guys will always ultimately win, it's predictable in a way that you expect should be predictable.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So let me guess, the incel "no girls allowed" types who hated it when it was announced still hate it now even if they refuse to watch it. Everyone else who either was excited for it or at least open minded like it just fine. I'm looking forward to it and have heard good things. 

There have been plenty of bad reviews. I saw a bad review from a Buzzfeed girl, the opposite of an incel-type.

I liked the movie just fine as mindless adventure but it's biggest problem is it confuses "heroic" with "most powerful." Just by giving Carol the most powers doesn't mean people are going to love her. Other heroic female characters mentioned in this thread (Ripley, Nikita, Alita) had scenes where they fought against true adversity. There wasn't even a hint of that for Captain Marvel in this movie. Everything comes easy to her.

I know she was a fighter pilot but within the first minute of learning she can fly she's doing maneuvers? Can we have maybe 15 seconds of her struggling to figure it out at least?

The other thing is that Larson played her too stoic, either by choice or that's the way she is. There's very little charisma there. It's almost not fair to have her on screen at the same time with Scarlett Johannsen.

I can't believe the directors went with that take in the mid credit scene. They weren't like "Brie, can you do it again, with a little more authority?"

I think her character will be better in Endgame.

There have been plenty of bad reviews. I saw a bad review from a Buzzfeed girl, the opposite of an incel-type.
I liked the movie just fine as mindless adventure but it's biggest problem is it confuses "heroic" with "most powerful." Just by giving Carol the most powers doesn't mean people are going to love her. Other heroic female characters mentioned in this thread (Ripley, Nikita, Alita) had scenes where they fought against true adversity. There wasn't even a hint of that for Captain Marvel in this movie. Everything comes easy to her.

Her struggles were mental. That makes complete sense with a character that powerful (and that's the reason such supercharged characters are difficult to write).

I know she was a fighter pilot but within the first minute of learning she can fly she's doing maneuvers? Can we have maybe 15 seconds of her struggling to figure it out at least?

This complaint doesn't make any sense. This is a standard movie trope that has been used thousands of times. Star Wars is a classic example. Independence Day Day as well. If a character is a great pilot (and the story clearly relayed that she and Rambeau were great pilots only held back by females not being allowed in combat back then) then they can fly anything. If they're a great driver they can drive anything. Et cetera.

The other thing is that Larson played her too stoic, either by choice or that's the way she is. There's very little charisma there. It's almost not fair to have her on screen at the same time with Scarlett Johannsen.

I can't believe the directors went with that take in the mid credit scene. They weren't like "Brie, can you do it again, with a little more authority?"

I think her character will be better in Endgame.

100% agree with this part. Larson is not a good actor. Rambeau acted circles around her in limited screen time. Larson seems almost physically unable to communicate emotions with facial expressions.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Her struggles were mental. That makes complete sense with a character that powerful (and that's the reason such supercharged characters are difficult to write).

This.

She couldn't keep her emotions in check to control her powers - original adversity
Struggling to gain control of those memories and figure out what the hell is going on and who she is 
Struggling to decide whether to turn her back on the Kree and ally with the Skrulls and unlock her true powers

Edited by Js1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fine, but there was no tension with just struggle. She needs to be in danger.

I think you and I agree because she's overpowered. She needs her own version of kryptonite.

I actually think it was more because of Larson's acting, on which we also agree. She didn't convey the intensity or depth of the mental and emotional struggles at all.

I actually told my family yesterday I almost wish Johansson hadn't been Black Widow so she could be CM now. Larson would have been fine playing Romanoff's assassin-who-is-trained-to-be-emotionless character.

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dude, Mendelsohn killed it.  By far.  He was funny. 

He's awesome in everything he's in. I'm so glad he's around now that Alan Rickman is gone. 

During the movie, my daughter leaned over and said "dad, the lead Skrull has an Australian accent."

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I actually think it was more because of Larson's acting, on which we also agree. She didn't convey the intensity or depth of the mental and emotional struggles at all.

Here's an example of what Huck was talking about, IMO. Her acting in this scene is unbelievably bad.

It gets better the rest of the movie, but not much.

Saw it this weekend, and it was fine. Not great. Definitely not in the top 5 of MCU films. I expected to be annoyed by Brie Larson but she was fine. The main takeaway was that this movie is entirely skippable as it relates to Endgame. It was entertaining enough but it definitely has flaws, and it didn't really feel like a major part of the MCU. My biggest issue is that this film feels like an add-on and I kind of wish she wasn't going to be a part of Endgame, because it doesn't feel like this character has earned it. 

12 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Saw it this weekend, and it was fine. Not great. Definitely not in the top 5 of MCU films. I expected to be annoyed by Brie Larson but she was fine. The main takeaway was that this movie is entirely skippable as it relates to Endgame. It was entertaining enough but it definitely has flaws, and it didn't really feel like a major part of the MCU. My biggest issue is that this film feels like an add-on and I kind of wish she wasn't going to be a part of Endgame, because it doesn't feel like this character has earned it. 

Eh, I wouldn't say entirely skippable...if she just showed up in End Game all powerful and shit, you'd probably call her a "Mary Sue" or McGuffin character or something.

I agree it's not Top 5 Marvel, but a movie doesn't have to be to be enjoyable or to watch.  You think we should have just skipped Thor and First Avenger?  They're mostly unrelated to Avengers as well.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Eh, I wouldn't say entirely skippable...if she just showed up in End Game all powerful and shit, you'd probably call her a "Mary Sue" or McGuffin character or something.

I agree it's not Top 5 Marvel, but a movie doesn't have to be to be enjoyable or to watch.  You think we should have just skipped Thor and First Avenger?  They're mostly unrelated to Avengers as well.

I know some people who want to see the movie because they want to be fully prepped for Endgame. There is really nothing major from a story standpoint in CM that you would miss if you choose to skip this, IMO. 

First Avenger actually sets up quite a lot of the MCU story, introducing Stark, the technology, and the tesseract. So no, it is not skippable. I do think you could skip the first Thor film and not really miss it though.

About all I got from this movie as it relates to Endgame (so far) is obviously the backstory of how Fury got the pager and why he used it.

That's it.  Maybe there will be more in Endgame that pulls from CM, I dunno.  Maybe the Skrull show up again.  Maybe CM faces off against Ronan.

Edited by Js1

Man I'm still saying the amount of "who's this bitch" griping coming from people who have no idea who Captain Marvel is would have been outrageous without this movie.  You can't just have a character that important(in the MCU, not in the comics really) popping up and taking on Thanos who just wiped the floor with the Avengers or people will call BS. IMO of course.

Can we stop acting like any of the Avengers narrative is hard to follow? I think I've "skipped" most of the non-Avengers Marvel films and never during the Avengers movies was I thinking "SHIT I WISH I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON! THIS PLOT IS SO COMPLEX!"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

About all I got from this movie as it relates to Endgame (so far) is obviously the backstory of how Fury got the pager and why he used it.

That's it.  Maybe there will be more in Endgame that pulls from CM, I dunno.  Maybe the Skrull show up again.  Maybe CM faces off against Ronan.

ummm, he was obliterated at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can we stop acting like any of the Avengers narrative is hard to follow? I think I've "skipped" most of the non-Avengers Marvel films and never during the Avengers movies was I thinking "SHIT I WISH I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON! THIS PLOT IS SO COMPLEX!"

It isn't so much about the complex story points. Infinity War succeeded in large part because of the films that preceded it and the investment that was made into the characters. You aren't going to be lost watching it if you'd missed the other films, but you probably wouldn't enjoy the film on the same level. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

It isn't so much about the complex story points. Infinity War succeeded in large part because of the films that preceded it and the investment that was made into the characters. You aren't going to be lost watching it if you'd missed the other films, but you probably wouldn't enjoy the film on the same level. 

This.

It was nice to already have the backstory on 5 of the stones going into IW. 

Power Stone - GOTG

Tesseract - CA, Thor Ragnarok, CM

Reality Stone - Thor 2

Mind Stone - The Avengers and AoU

Time Stone - Dr. Strange

Even the Soul Stone is referenced in GOTG and CA had Red Skull

6 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I know some people who want to see the movie because they want to be fully prepped for Endgame. There is really nothing major from a story standpoint in CM that you would miss if you choose to skip this, IMO. 

First Avenger actually sets up quite a lot of the MCU story, introducing Stark, the technology, and the tesseract. So no, it is not skippable. I do think you could skip the first Thor film and not really miss it though.

Thor actually introduces the tesseract in the post credit scene (get a glimpse in another scene).  Also introduces Loki, who ends up being the Avengers first major villain and intertwines within several films.  Is the first to tease the Multiverse, which is a huge theme going forward and is also the first introduction to the world at hand to aliens or visitors from other planets (sans Agent Coulson and Nic Fury now).  It also sets up Thor 2, which introduces a ton of infinity stone stuff including the Reality Stone.  An example of a movie not needed is TIH which was basically dropped from the MCU.  You can probably catch up on the multi-verse thru Doctor Strange, so Ant-man probably isn't necessarily needed.  Ironman 2?  Can't think of anything big in introduces.

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thor actually introduces the tesseract in the post credit scene (get a glimpse in another scene).  Also introduces Loki, who ends up being the Avengers first major villain and intertwines within several films.  Is the first to tease the Multiverse, which is a huge theme going forward and is also the first introduction to the world at hand to aliens or visitors from other planets (sans Agent Coulson and Nic Fury now).  It also sets up Thor 2, which introduces a ton of infinity stone stuff including the Reality Stone.  An example of a movie not needed is TIH which was basically dropped from the MCU.  You can probably catch up on the multi-verse thru Doctor Strange, so Ant-man probably isn't necessarily needed.  Ironman 2?  Can't think of anything big in introduces.

Oh yeah the quantum realm might confuse people who didn’t see Ant Man. I think it’ll also come into play.  Between CM + Ant Man + Dr. Strange backstories, might be a few things casual viewers won’t get. 

Enjoyed it. 7 year old daughter loved it. CM is now her #2 or #3 it seems.

CM acting was a little stiff. Jackson was great. 

As powerful as they made her, I do worry they’ll hit a Superman problem. 

WTF had Chris Evans been doing?  Did he forget to work out?  He looked rather puny in the mid credits scene. Did not look like helicopter curling CA. 

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

WTF had Chris Evans been doing?  Did he forget to work out?  He looked rather puny in the mid credits scene. Did not look like helicopter curling CA. 

Cap was mourning for his one true love, Bucky. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

He’s not normally jacked.  It’s an entire routine (and steroids) to get that big.  A couple days at the gym won’t do it.  It’s literally a full time job 

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

He’s not normally jacked.  It’s an entire routine (and steroids) to get that big.  A couple days at the gym won’t do it.  It’s literally a full time job 

Well, yeah. And he’s getting paid millions per movie. I want to see jacked CA. 

I thought the movie was pretty good, really, but Jumping Jesus Brie Larson turned in a solid B movie performance. There were times when I thought maybe the whole point was to troll terribly cheesy 80's action heroes like JCVD or something but I really think she was playing it straight, which makes it funnier.

*my name...is...CAROL* made me lol.
And those squinty eyes whenever she tries to make a joke! I was choking it back.

I thought the rest of the cast was really solid (which made Larson stick out), especially Jude Law and Mendelsohn. It sucks Marvel burned those two on a one-off role. Annette Benning was questionable. I can't be too hard on Larson's acting, because I think a lot of it is the writing. So much cheese! Or maybe she's just miscast. I mean Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth aren't great actors, but they are both well-suited for the roles they play. Evans pulls off a plucky hero mostly in over his head, and Hemsworth does a good job playing an outsider trying to learn the rules and fit in. It works for them. But Brie Larson playing a phenomenon discovering her unlimited potential while dropping lame one liners with a monotone and squinty eyes? Ehhh. That doesn't stack up well against Robert Downey Jr and Chris Pratt. We're going to need better.

As for the plot, I liked it. They kind of borrowed from 

Spoiler

Oblivion, where brave astronaut pilot Tom Cruise gets abducted by aliens, has his memory wiped, and comes back to fight with the bad guys against the good guys. Also "Men Against Fire", A Black Mirror episode covered this a little differently.

but it still made a good story. The twist reveal was maybe the most poignant part of the movie. There were some things that I didn't understand. I'll do spoilers just in case.

Spoiler

Do CAROL's powers come from the Tesseract? That's what powered the power source that blew up, right? Because that's an infinity stone and Thanos controls those. 

Also, how did CAROL survive the crash from space with just a nosebleed?

Finally, it doesn't explain why she was gone for so long. Were they looking for a home for that long?

Anyhow, I'm ready for Infinity War part 2 now. I feel like Larson may earn a few unintentional laughs and maybe a raspberry or two, but I'm still excited.

Edited by Disco Missile

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Carol is just about the worst common name for a Superhero.  Carol sounds like she's an aging school counselor who dreams of vacationing in Pompano Beach

Yeah but get some pinot grigio in her and get her around some girlfriends and she's a real hoot!

• Haha 1

I was a little confused as well as to why she was able to withstand a blast from the Tessaract AND absorb power from it, but that may have been my preconceived notions of the story. Essentially she’s like the Romanov twins, but from a diffferent stone. 

I don’t think they are done with Jude Laws character. Maybe not Mendelssohn either. Jude may end up being the next Loki like character -  bad guy that sticks around for a few movies. 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

I was a little confused as well as to why she was able to withstand a blast from the Tessaract AND absorb power from it, but that may have been my preconceived notions of the story. Essentially she’s like the Romanov twins, but from a diffferent stone. 

I was confused by all of that too, and going in knowing what had been said about her being the most powerful superhero to date, it didn't seem to fit.

She got her power from an infinity stone, like several other characters. Thanos has all the stones and has defeated all of the other characters. Maybe there was something I missed? 

Well it's obviously ret conned from the Comics...she's NOT the most powerful Superhero in the Comics, not close.  And she didn't get her powers from an Infiniti stone...but neither did the Romanov Twins, so it's all being retconned.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I liked the movie but put it below Ant Man.  My biggest problem other than Brie's snarkiness coming through was that I still don't really know what her powers are other than plasma beams.  

Super strength (Kree blood)

Energy manipulation (photon blasts)

Flight

Apparently longer life span since she didn't really age in the 20 years between CM's ending and the mid-credits scene for IW2

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I liked the movie but put it below Ant Man.  My biggest problem other than Brie's snarkiness coming through was that I still don't really know what her powers are other than plasma beams.  

Well she blew up one of Ronan's ships with her fists. I think she's somewhere in Silver Surfer range for the movie purposes.

And was it snark? I thought it was just awful comedic delivery. It reminded me of JCVD's acting more than anything. I couldn't tell if that was on purpose or on accident, with all the 90s references. Hopefully on purpose.

Edited by Disco Missile

23 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Well she blew up one of Ronan's ships with her fists. I think she's somewhere in Silver Surfer range for the movie purposes.

And was it snark? I thought it was just awful comedic delivery. It reminded me of JCVD's acting more than anything. I couldn't tell if that was on purpose or on accident, with all the 90s references. Hopefully on purpose.

I wasn't sure either but watch RedLetterMedia's review. They show clips of her in real life and that's her (unfortunate) personality.

In case anyone has thoughts about Larson shaking off the rust and cobwebs, and settling into her character for Endgame - she filmed Endgame before she filmed CM.

I still can't believe the wacky tone of this movie. Captain Marvel is the most powerful superhero. She is the most important superhero. She is the real first Avenger. The Avengers were named after her. She is discovers her true power, overcomes her shackles, and then...

"Take this pink ribbon off my eyes. I'm exposed, and it's no big surprise..."

Edited by ajax