Records you loved by artists that never broke big

Chad Fuck

Or something like that.  Post them here.

Back when Mazzy Star and Portishead and those guys were happening, a friend turned me onto Acetone and I really liked them.  So much I went out and bought all there records, and damn, if I didn't like them all.  They never really got big, and the main guy killed himself, thus ending the brief history of Acetone.  But this one I always go back to.  If I find a used copy, I pick it up just because.  

• Like 1

Define "big?"

Like, if you're a comedy act, would getting on Dr. Demento (even interviewing him) be big enough?

If you're doing computer music, would doing a soundtrack for a legendary AAA title count?

If you've been a part of the Albuquerque club scene for so many decades that everyone who ever passed through New Mexico and got a club around that time knows of you, is that big?

Edited by Rimbo

Big enough that you didn't have to explain who they were to your other music aficionado friends.  If they ever made the Billboard charts, I'd say they shouldn't be in this thread. 

But I'm just trying to find some new music here under a fun premise.  I prefer not to "define" it too much.  You know, like a friends with benefits situation.  Let's not ask too many questions, and just enjoy what transpires.  

• Like 2

Right! Marc Gunn is my best friend from our 5-7 years at UT. Our band didn't make it, neither did his next, but the one after that got heavy rotation from Dr. Demento. Eventually he went solo because the other half of the Brobdingnagian Bards, Andrew, is a lazy shit who needs to feel the wrath of the #metoo movement. Happy Songs of Death was one of the first well produced albums he made, and remains one of my favorites.

In the 1990s, I got into electronic music, and in particular music made on the Amiga and by and for the PC Demoscene. Some of these guys went on to make music for a living (usually for games), most went on to be programmers.

No albums, but here's a classic of the genre:

And finally, here's the guy from Albuquerque.

Most everything I bought in college.  Probably number one for me would be anything that Zeitgeist/Reivers did.  

Also, just a few:  ANYTHING by Vigilantes of Love
Adam Schmidt (LOVED this guy's power pop)
Andrew Cash, Blue Rodeo, Grapes of Wrath (all great Canadian bands out at the same time)  
Marti Jones

VOL:  Great line:   "I got a little cauterized brain and a heart shot off at the knees" 

Adam Schmidt:  BRILLIANT power pop

Andrew Cash:  Produced by Don Dixon.

Marti Jones, aka Mrs. Don Dixon

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

A relatively new guy I'm listening to is Damien Jurado.  His voice is strange, but his lyrics, combined with the overall vibe, are really interesting to me. 

And Austin's own, Damon Bramblett.  (a happy tune but about being put to death on death row.  Kelly Willis did this at a prison concert...not realizing what it was about)

Saw Damon Bramblett play a set in the basement of Stubb's after Kelly Willis scored a nice hit with Heaven Bound. I remember he wore a nice suit and stared at the ceiling in the back of the room the whole time, barely moving as he performed. He was playing some well crafted tunes, but I left thinking I'd never seen anyone seem more uncomfortable on stage.

I always liked Matt Sever (aka Matt the Electrician) & kept hoping he'd have a hit. I enjoyed his opening set better than Bob Schneider @ the Saxon more than once.

Now Here Is Nowhere by The Secret Machines. This album came out in 2004, and I have played it regularly ever since. Three piece band; drums, guitar with a lot of effects, and a lead singer who alternates between bass and keyboards. Sadly their guitarist left the band not long after their second album came out (which wasn't anywhere near as good as this one), and he tragically passed away at the end of 2013. Rest In Power, Ben, and thank you for getting me into effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tLpmfj53g&list=PLF8882681F79D5892

• Like 3

I dig Secret Machines a whole lot. If you're into big-hitting Bonham-style drummers, Josh Garza is one of the best out there. 

Garza was previously in a band from DFW called Comet that put out a really good album "Chandelier Musings" that was produced by David Baker from Mercury Rev. Like Secret Machines, Comet had some buzz but never broke it big. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I dig Secret Machines a whole lot. If you're into big-hitting Bonham-style drummers, Josh Garza is one of the best out there. 

Garza was previously in a band from DFW called Comet that put out a really good album "Chandelier Musings" that was produced by David Baker from Mercury Rev. Like Secret Machines, Comet had some buzz but never broke it big. 

Comet sounds a lot like smashing pumpkins.

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't think of too many I'd put above this one (and I've posted their music before):

"I imagine she could mention fleas and my body would begin to itch"

"You double cross the T's and dot out all the eyes"

I LOVE this record.  Was hoping you would mention it.  It is fantastic.  Also, about the same time, the Geardaddies released a great record.  Saw the Gunbunnies open for Toad The Wet Sprocket on the tour for that Gunbunnies record.  

The NEXT SMITHS!, as it was sold to me at Tower records in 95/96-ish

Bought everything they had after SXSW in like '99. One-third of it was excellent, excellent stuff. The other 2/3, eh ...

This was one of those $25 imports from Technophilia (1997-ish), but worth it because BAWL were gonna be HUGE once all the best of britpop emerged. This was their only album. I think they did get on the cover of an NME tho.

I love this album. I think it's a masterpiece of psychedelic pop. I'll bet none of you have ever heard of the guy but he's two degrees of separation away from Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, Paul Simon, and Nine Inch Nails. It's kind of surprising he's generally unknown. It's reflected in some of his lyrics. 

If hullabelew has never heard of him then I'll assume the spelling of his username is just a coincidence. 

a1406182094_10.jpg

You can stream it for free, in good quality, by following the link below. I don't know which song will be cued up but the first track is entitled "Try." Scroll down to the track listing to select it if necessary. Give it a listen until you get bored. You might not get bored. 

https://robfetters.bandcamp.com/album/lefty-loose-righty-tight

49 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I love this album. I think it's a masterpiece of psychedelic pop. I'll bet none of you have ever heard of the guy but he's two degrees of separation away from Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, Paul Simon, and Nine Inch Nails. It's kind of surprising he's generally unknown. It's reflected in some of his lyrics. 

If hullabelew has never heard of him then I'll assume the spelling of his username is just a coincidence. 

a1406182094_10.jpg

You can stream it for free, in good quality, by following the link below. I don't know which song will be cued up but the first track is entitled "Try." Scroll down to the track listing to select it if necessary. Give it a listen until you get bored. You might not get bored. 

https://robfetters.bandcamp.com/album/lefty-loose-righty-tight

I guess I forgot to mention that Rob is the singer/songwriter/guitarist on the album. I just listened to the whole thing again. It's so good. 

6 hours ago, Grippe said:

(Warning: this is late 80's LA Type stuff)

During the stangnant lull between Appetite for Destruction and Nevermind the manager of GnR and Great White signed a third band from Finland that he preferred listening to while he was drunk.

BIG time Bad Company vibe there in the vocals and overall song structures.  Not the guitar tone, for sure, but otherwise, an obvious influence.