Records you loved by artists that never broke big

Chad Fuck

Vic Chesnutt is one of my very favorite artists.  Little is his debut and could've picked several of his records for this thread since he never seemed to hit it big.  Y'all might know him best from his part in Slingblade.  He's the guy that Doyle Hargraves rolls into the door.

• Like 2

It's weird how memory takes on a life of it's own.  Whenever I see a reference to Course Of Empire I always think "yeah, and Three On A Hill, too".

And then I listen to a little Course of Empire and a little Three On A Hill, and they couldn't be more different.  Somehow, my mind always maps Three On A Hill into a classic Dallas harder grunge band, but they're probably closer to Barenaked Ladies.  And Course Of Empire was a little closer to that Ministry/NIN metal beat music.

Weird.  

Carry on.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, Foggy Notion said:

I dig Secret Machines a whole lot. If you're into big-hitting Bonham-style drummers, Josh Garza is one of the best out there. 

Garza was previously in a band from DFW called Comet that put out a really good album "Chandelier Musings" that was produced by David Baker from Mercury Rev. Like Secret Machines, Comet had some buzz but never broke it big. 

always loved "day at the races".. part of that whole Denton scene that was hot for about a year and half.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:08 AM, Bottlecap said:

The NEXT SMITHS!, as it was sold to me at Tower records in 95/96-ish

i was told Another Sunny Day was the next SMITHS.. and i believed it when i heard this single. Never really reached these heights again though.

One of the top 10 albums of the millennium that hardly anyone has heard of. I think they're from the Dallas area, so probably some folks here have. Can't really pick a favorite song on it, because they are all awesome.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

I thought this guy was great.  I saw him play on his own, and then with the Roots, who picked up this song and reworked it.  The Headphone Masterpiece is a great testament to DIY record making.  If you ever wanted to hear the difference between homemade muddling through, and real record production, this is it.

there was a group out of LA in the mid 90's called The Borrowers (not the same group that is now called the Borrowers).  They were sort of alt/folk.  They had one or maybe two albums, and toured throughout Texas and the southwest.  The settled in Austin, and I think maybe broke up after the one album.  Anyway, I saw them in Houston a few times.  Once at Velvet Elvis and a time or two at the old Rockefellers.  Thought they were great and surprised they never made it bigger/longer.  They have a song or two on iTunes.  Mercy Bound is pretty solid if you want to look that one up.  

• 2 weeks later...

I really dig this band. Been around a long time, not much national buzz. They seem like the kind of thing a lot of people here would enjoy across different segments, or at least would find something in their catalog they really like. A great blend of soulful, funky, punk, bluesy and hard rockin',

Edited by DougO