Joshua Moore

LTtxfan

Josh had a big TD catch vs USC.... Dedicated to his Late Brother

“I just wanted to make a name for myself in my backyard,” Moore said. “My big brother grew up a Texas fan, my mother graduated from Texas, and I had the opportunity to play right away — just being able to stay in my home state.”

Moore still wears a necklace with a silver letter “Q” on it that he never takes off. During the spring, he was already thinking about honoring his brother on the football field at Texas.

“I know he’s watching over, I know he’s proud,” Moore said in the spring. “I’m just ready to go to UT and make a name for myself and carry on his legacy as well while I’m doing it.”

On Saturday, Moore reached a big milestone on that mission.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/9/17/17871870/joshua-moore-texas-longhorns-touchdown-late-brother-dedication-suicide

Early games he had some butterfingers but I love him after that big catch. I still wish Heard would get more touches, ones where he isn't throwing the ball.... Hard to do with DD, CJ, and LJ killing it... Even Beck is looking tough to tackle after catching the ball.

Edited by Zavala

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I had high hopes for Heard but he just hasn't developed as a WR. He's a phenomenal athlete but he never makes the big play. He rose above a DB to make a catch on Saturday and it just bounced off his hands. That's the kind of play that we need this year, badly.

Maybe instead of Jamison getting the jet sweeps Heard gets it. Also, he should be returning kicks. I just think so much open field magic happened when he had the ball all the time playing QB he should be somehow getting the rock.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I had high hopes for Heard but he just hasn't developed as a WR. He's a phenomenal athlete but he never makes the big play. He rose above a DB to make a catch on Saturday and it just bounced off his hands. That's the kind of play that we need this year, badly.

Heard's biggest mistake was thinking he's a NFL player at WR, he's not. He should have stuck it out at QB.

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Maybe instead of Jamison getting the jet sweeps Heard gets it. Also, he should be returning kicks. I just think so much open field magic happened when he had the ball all the time playing QB he should be somehow getting the rock.

Jamison is quicker and faster. We just aren't executing well enough to get him in open space. A big part of it is that we give the play away by personnel.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They also telegraph Jamison's touches so bad, that a JV 3A defense could stop him.

We did a nice job against USC of breaking that tendency, actually.  As an example, on our first drive, we ran Jamison across the formation and then back, faking the jet, which brought up the nickel back to defend the run.  CJ then ran a deep drag across the field to the area vacated by the NB, who couldn't get to his drop, and we ended up with a big gain.

We're also already setting up a wrinkle where we fake the jet to Jamison and have him a run a wheel route under a mesh route scheme.  When we run that play, it will be a big gainer if not a TD.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We did a nice job against USC of breaking that tendency, actually.  As an example, on our first drive, we ran Jamison across the formation and then back, faking the jet, which brought up the nickel back to defend the run.  CJ then ran a deep drag across the field to the area vacated by the NB, who couldn't get to his drop, and we ended up with a big gain.

We're also already setting up a wrinkle where we fake the jet to Jamison and have him a run a wheel route under a mesh route scheme.  When we run that play, it will be a big gainer if not a TD.

How come you don't post your meandering post-game essays on BON anymore?

25 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I've just never thought Heard was all that fast.  And aside from his first game against a putrid California defense, I really don't think his career at QB at the college level was filled with "so much open field magic." 

He's similar to what I remember about John Chiles/Childs.  I recall raving about how his high school tape showed blazing speed and moves in the open field.  But when he got to Texas he appeared nowhere near that dynamic.  He turned out to be a serviceable WR, but like Heard, not a blazer or dominant pass catcher. 

But back to Moore, I'm glad as hell he came up with a bit catch against USC.  We need more threats from our WR corps.  Hope he continues to improve.

Just now, South Austin said:

I've just never thought Heard was all that fast.  And aside from his first game against a putrid California defense, I really don't think his career at QB at the college level was filled with "so much open field magic." 

He's similar to what I remember about John Chiles/Childs.  I recall raving about how his high school tape showed blazing speed and moves in the open field.  But when he got to Texas he appeared nowhere near that dynamic.  He turned out to be a serviceable WR, but like Heard, not a blazer or dominant pass catcher. 

But back to Moore, I'm glad as hell he came up with a big catch against USC.  We need more threats from our WR corps.  Hope he continues to improve.

48 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Early games he had some butterfingers but I love him after that big catch. I still wish Heard would get more touches, ones where he isn't throwing the ball.... Hard to do with DD, CJ, and LJ killing it... Even Beck is looking tough to tackle after catching the ball.

A lot of people forget that Duvernay was the highest rated offensive recruit on our roster.  He matches the athleticism of Heard and is just better at the position.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, let's not pretend Heard is in a position to succeed. You watch his highlights at QB, and you get the sense he is talented with space in the open field. Naturally, our coaches response to that has been to try and turn him into a route running WR.

Given that Heard doesn't have 20+ catches on campus from the twins set, where he runs underneath the inside WR to catch the ball and run through space, is an indictment of the poor level of coaching we have had here.

Similar thing with Jamison and his "jet sweep". It's ridiculous how difficult these coaches keep making offense look.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...