Dallas | Brunch

Saint Austin

You might have to narrow it down some.  Area of town?  Type of food?

My experience is that, minus a handful of places in mostly uptown proper, you can get by with wife and kids after church at most brunch places.

Knox/Henderson area is very family friendly.  Always see a wide variety of people around there.

Not sure if you are near North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts, but the brunch choices down here are great.  Hattie's for a nice family brunch when you  are dressed for church would be my recommendation, but Boulevardiere, Bolsa and Smoke are also top notch.  Nova too, but it's more of boozy crowd, with live music and all that, even if the patio is very family friendly.  

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Not sure if you are near North Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts, but the brunch choices down here are great.  Hattie's for a nice family brunch when you  are dressed for church would be my recommendation, but Boulevardiere, Bolsa and Smoke are also top notch.  Nova too, but it's more of boozy crowd, with live music and all that, even if the patio is very family friendly.  

Listen to this man...he knows of what he speaks.

Last time I went to the aforementioned “Smoke,” it was a while back...but it was pretty great.  I almost mentioned it in my earlier recs.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Nova is my favorite but it can definitely get rowdy on Sundays. It's family-friendly rowdy, though, the music can get loud in the main inside part. (Pro tip -- they'll make off-menu chicken fingers for the kids. And they're great.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You might have to narrow it down some.  Area of town?  Type of food?

My experience is that, minus a handful of places in mostly uptown proper, you can get by with wife and kids after church at most brunch places.

Knox/Henderson area is very family friendly.  Always see a wide variety of people around there.

I'm open to all kinds of food, but am on the east side of town (I guess that would have been helpful to mention).

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I'm open to all kinds of food, but am on the east side of town (I guess that would have been helpful to mention).

For East side, I’d say Knox/Henderson will be more family friendly than Greenville or Deep Ellum.  Not sure about Lakewood stuff.

Knox/Henderson...you can’t go wrong with Taverna or Toulouse.  Le Bilboquet and Up On Knox are a little more elevated.  All four are pretty solid choices.

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Have been to Smoke before, but not for brunch. Will definitely check it out. Thanks!

The brunch menu at Smoke isn't super kid-friendly, IIRC, unless their palate's are a little more refined. A buddy is part of the group that owns Pie Tap Pizza on Henderson and it's pretty good. They've got much more than pizza on the menu too.

Sorry to hijack but how’s that PhD place on Davis for football/bar food? Moving to that area in a few months and that looks like a future regular joint for me.
Thanks

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

Sorry to hijack but how’s that PhD place on Davis for football/bar food? Moving to that area in a few months and that looks like a future regular joint for me.
Thanks

Up until a year ago or so, the food at PhD was not fit for human consumption.  It was really bad.  But, they changed a few things. I have ventured back slowly (it's a short walk from my house).  The wings are good.  The nachos are really terrific actually.  I order them without meat and with extra jalapenos.  They are old school: individual, broiler melted nachos instead of the gloppy cheese sauce over chips.  I don't think the burger is that great, but it's at least ok now (and 1000% better than how they started).  The rest of it is hit and miss, from what I can (stopped eating there for a while).  Lots of TVs, excellent service usually, good drink and beer selection (not so much for wine), great patio on nice days.  The live music is not that good and can be distracting if you want to watch games.   Nova is our go-to for neighborhood bar/restaurant because the food is so much better, but it will be pricey if you sit and drink or order more than pizza.  PhD is a good, lower cost, sports bar alternative, especially for watching games.  The crowds are very different, but both fill a need.  Welcome to the neighborhood!

• Like 1

Up until a year ago or so, the food at PhD was not fit for human consumption.  It was really bad.  But, they changed a few things. I have ventured back slowly (it's a short walk from my house).  The wings are good.  The nachos are really terrific actually.  I order them without meat and with extra jalapenos.  They are old school: individual, broiler melted nachos instead of the gloppy cheese sauce over chips.  I don't think the burger is that great, but it's at least ok now (and 1000% better than how they started).  The rest of it is hit and miss, from what I can (stopped eating there for a while).  Lots of TVs, excellent service usually, good drink and beer selection (not so much for wine), great patio on nice days.  The live music is not that good and can be distracting if you want to watch games.   Nova is our go-to for neighborhood bar/restaurant because the food is so much better, but it will be pricey if you sit and drink or order more than pizza.  PhD is a good, lower cost, sports bar alternative, especially for watching games.  The crowds are very different, but both fill a need.  Welcome to the neighborhood!

Thanks, much appreciated. Nova looks intriguing, parking lot is always full. Maybe I’ll see you around for the NFL playoffs when I move that way.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:54 PM, C-Man said:

The brunch menu at Smoke isn't super kid-friendly, IIRC, unless their palate's are a little more refined. A buddy is part of the group that owns Pie Tap Pizza on Henderson and it's pretty good. They've got much more than pizza on the menu too.

Went to Pie Tap on Sunday and was really impressed. Will return.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

the rib and I found ourselves childless after the grandparents agreed to take the spawn to see TS4 on Saturday.  We hit up Ozona's around 10:30am  and it was not nearly as packed as I remember (last visit was probably a few years ago).  Food was OK, the bloody mary bar was excellent  and the patio was the perfect temp in the shade.  Just thought it would be more packed, but maybe school being out had something to do with it.  I just remember usually a wait on the weekends.

most 'brunch' outings with the kids are getting a bay at Top Golf so it was nice to get back to an old haunt.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

the rib and I found ourselves childless after the grandparents agreed to take the spawn to see TS4 on Saturday.  We hit up Ozona's around 10:30am  and it was not nearly as packed as I remember (last visit was probably a few years ago).  Food was OK, the bloody mary bar was excellent  and the patio was the perfect temp in the shade.  Just thought it would be more packed, but maybe school being out had something to do with it.  I just remember usually a wait on the weekends.

most 'brunch' outings with the kids are getting a bay at Top Golf so it was nice to get back to an old haunt.

Ozana's happy hour is great. Good drinks, TVs everywhere, pretty good chips and queso. 

Haven't had much of their food food but it's def a nice place to hang out. 

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ozana's happy hour is great. Good drinks, TVs everywhere, pretty good chips and queso. 

Have always liked Ozona's CFS. Great patio for sure.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Have always liked Ozona's CFS. Great patio for sure.

Agreed. The CFS and the Queso are great. Never had a bad experience at Ozona.

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

The Decline of Brunch in Dallas

Seems somewhat valid...from the Dallas Observer:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/dallas-loves-brunch-though-maybe-not-as-much-without-bottomless-mimosas-11704920

Was talking about this with friends on Saturday morning at Snooze (which is perfectly decent brunch fare - and super inexpensive). 

No bottomless mimosas but I had a couple bourbon, espresso and steamed milks. I didn't realize how many restaurants got in trouble with TABC for the bottomless promos. 

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

The Decline of Brunch in Dallas

Seems somewhat valid...from the Dallas Observer:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaurants/dallas-loves-brunch-though-maybe-not-as-much-without-bottomless-mimosas-11704920

Good God (this Blasig dude graduated from UT):

The wait time dilemma can’t stop a true brunch enthusiast, as Dallas Brunch Boiz Alex Blasig, Sterling Danger and Eddie Osuna ran into a similar situation just last month, when their group of eight was unable to find a restaurant without a wild wait time. Most of the spots they attempted had wait times nearing the two-hour mark.

“It seems like your only option is making a reservation in advance these days,” Blasig says. “Since we didn’t have one, we ended up going to Clutch, because we knew there wouldn’t be a wait time and we could walk right in and rage without issues.”

The rage-factor deserves particular consideration as well, as it seems to be the heart of the breakfast-lunch duo that modern America has taken such a liking to. But is this the only reason people love brunch?

“There are two different types of brunches,” says Danger, “recovery versus retox. Dallas lacks options for those that want to ‘turn up’ during brunch. It’s as if they have limited brunch to the places where you chill and start your day in relaxation, instead of capitalizing on those who want to start their party day.”

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Good God (this Blasig dude graduated from UT):

Fist of all, how do you know that?

Second of all, what's your problem with what he said?  You gonna try to tell me you don't like to rage at Clutch any given Sunday for brunch, brah?

But, seriously...how do you know he went to UT?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Fist of all, how do you know that?

Second of all, what's your problem with what he said?  You gonna try to tell me you don't like to rage at Clutch any given Sunday for brunch, brah?

But, seriously...how do you know he went to UT?

There's an Alex Blasig on LinkedIn that I'm a 2nd with that went to UT. Probably the same dude.

Now he doesn't sound completely fucking retarded like "Danger" so there's that I guess. 

There's an Alex Blasig on LinkedIn that I'm a 2nd with that went to UT. Probably the same dude.
Now he doesn't sound completely fucking retarded like "Danger" so there's that I guess. 

I looked them up on Facebook. I think Blasig is the nephew or somehow otherwise related to a guy I went to HS with. The “Danger” guy has that as his middle name. Couldn’t find Osuna. They hang out with hot chicks.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is this supposed to make their quotes in that article less cringey?

Nope

3 hours ago, threesheets said:

That article is fucking surreal.

Might've been written by one of their "bros" since one of them referenced the article on FB as being written by so-and-so.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:49 PM, ztejas said:

Was talking about this with friends on Saturday morning at Snooze (which is perfectly decent brunch fare - and super inexpensive). 

No bottomless mimosas but I had a couple bourbon, espresso and steamed milks. I didn't realize how many restaurants got in trouble with TABC for the bottomless promos. 

Snooze is great. Loved it in Denver and have greatly enjoyed my several experiences at the one on Oak Lawn and the one up off Walnut Hill.

Agreed. The CFS and the Queso are great. Never had a bad experience at Ozona.

We took my parents there for brunch yesterday before they left to head back to SA. Sad to report the CFS was very mediocre. It was tough, drowned in gravy and lacked any flavor whatsoever. Very disappointing. Everybody else loved their food, though.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We took my parents there for brunch yesterday before they left to head back to SA. Sad to report the CFS was very mediocre. It was tough, drowned in gravy and lacked any flavor whatsoever. Very disappointing. Everybody else loved their food, though.

My parents were just here and left yesterday.  We coulda gotten them together.  My parents are hard though.  They are so extreme low maintenance that it’s almost like they don’t like anything.  Like if it’s even a little bit expensive or a production or adventurous or over the top or not super traditional or whatever...they are out.  Beats me down.  I love em, but I’m always really glad to take them to the airport

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

My parents were just here and left yesterday.  We coulda gotten them together.  My parents are hard though.  They are so extreme low maintenance that it’s almost like they don’t like anything.  Like if it’s even a little bit expensive or a production or adventurous or over the top or not super traditional or whatever...they are out.  Beats me down.  I love em, but I’m always really glad to take them to the airport

Ha. We took them and my in-laws to Lovers Seafood on Fri night. That place is just solid.

My folks took my daughter out for her birthday on Wednesday -- she chose Mint -- and then my son on Thurs night -- he chose Dunston's.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How is Snooze? Supposedly we're getting one on this side of the lake in Casa Linda Plaza. 

Snooze is pretty cool man...but, it’s a chain.  And, honestly, it felt like one to us.  But a really good one and overall, we liked it.  I’d embrace it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

How is Snooze? Supposedly we're getting one on this side of the lake in Casa Linda Plaza. 

I love it. We first discovered it in Denver 5-6 years ago. It's one of the best chains you'll ever run across. Great food. There is always a stupid wait, though. Factor that in.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I love it. We first discovered it in Denver 5-6 years ago. It's one of the best chains you'll ever run across. Great food. There is always a stupid wait, though. Factor that in.

I've seen the wait be stupid on a weekday too, but it usually moves pretty quickly. I've never had a bad meal there either.